Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 PM
vetteguy75
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
LA Events Coordinator

Default Crager Wheel fu*** up!!!

installed a set of Cragar SS wheels (15x8 with 3/4 billet alum wheel adaptors)...and talk about a living nightmare!!!!! First set I ordered from Jegs....3 of the 4...OUT OF ROUND!!!!. Jegs took all 4 back with no problems but they weren't going to get any more in until May 5 (apparently they were having problems with Cragars quality). So I ordered a set from Summit Racing. They came in today and I attempted to install them. 2 of the wheels needed 8oz to balance them...even after breaking down the tire and rotating it on the wheel!!! I called Summit, and they were willing to over-night 2 new wheels. I then decided to temporarily mount all 4 wheels (2 good ones and 2 bad ones) just enough so I could get home and wait until the morning (already spent 4 hours on this project today). After mounting them on the Vette, I started to back out. As I turned the wheel (while backing out)....GRIND!!!! The back part of the front fender CRACKED from the tire hitting it!!!!! A HUGE ONE !!!! DAMN! So the hell with it and went back to my stock wheels. I really liked the look of the Cragar wheels BUT the quality...... Summit is picking them up on Friday. Any recommends as far as American Racing Torque IIs?? By the way, I am taking her to Sport Car Specialty (Corvette body shop)in on Monday for them to fix the crack.....$300!!
Old 04-27-2005, 09:45 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Unbelievable!!!! That is pizz poor quality control. I would be flaming mad at Crager. I don't know if they would cover the body damage, but I would be inclined to pursue it. If you don't mind would you look on the wheel and see where they are made. I am just curious. I bought my Touque Thrust II's used from one the members on this board. The guy that balanced them was able to balance them with very little weight though. 8 oz. is a hugh amount of weight.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hope it all gets better soon.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:27 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Eddie 70
If you don't mind would you look on the wheel and see where they are made. Sorry to hear about the bad luck. Hope it all gets better soon.

Curious to see whether U.S. or out sourced.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. The only time I had Craeger's was back in the '60-70's and they seemed almost indestructible.
Old 04-28-2005, 07:18 AM
lvrpool32
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

I have found that you have to be really careful with backspace/dish on our cars (especially on the front).

Any increase in forward spacing (ie go over the 4" as per the factory) you run the risk of hitting the fender. Also increasing wheel diameter and using a tire with a "bigger shoulder" will give clearance issues.

I replaced my 15 x 8, with 17 x 8 (with a 4" backspace) but becasue of the bigger footprint of a 255/50/17, it hit the lower lip of the fender.

If you where using a 3/4" spacer, you would have to use a 4-3/4" backspace wheel.

Nick
Old 04-28-2005, 08:16 AM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 521 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by lvrpool32
I have found that you have to be really careful with backspace/dish on our cars (especially on the front).

Any increase in forward spacing (ie go over the 4" as per the factory) you run the risk of hitting the fender. Also increasing wheel diameter and using a tire with a "bigger shoulder" will give clearance issues.

I replaced my 15 x 8, with 17 x 8 (with a 4" backspace) but becasue of the bigger footprint of a 255/50/17, it hit the lower lip of the fender.

If you where using a 3/4" spacer, you would have to use a 4-3/4" backspace wheel.

Nick
The Cragars will hit the brake calipers without a spacer and with a spacer, they hit the fenders. Not a good design for Corvettes.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:29 AM
TheKomoman
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
St Jude Donor '13

I ordered my TTII's from the guy from this auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...970046633&rd=1

I didn't order via eBay, I called him up. For $1/each he'll provide the lugs and he tossed the valve stems in no extra charge. Delivery was fast, price was right, I'd definitely buy from the guy again.

That being said... the 3.75" backspacing that AR specifies for the C3's kinda works... The wheels cleared my front calipers with no trouble, but they just BARELY scraped the rears. I wound up buying a set of Mr. Gasket 5/16" wheel spacers for the rears and it clears them just fine now.

Get notified of new replies

To Crager Wheel fu*** up!!!

Quick Reply: Crager Wheel fu*** up!!!