Sponsored by:

Some help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 10:28 PM
Mikes80L48
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Some help please.

Hey guys, after riding in my Vette one of my friends is looking at purchasing his first Vette. We may have found the perfect car for him, it's a 75-77 grey coupe, 4 speed. Monday we are going down to look at it closely and test drive it. From what we could see the car is in need of a restoration, which is what my friend wants to do. If the car runs great, but needs a paint job and some interior work (carpet) is it worth the $4,000 asking price? Also, i know about looking for rust on the car like on the frame and the radiator support, are there anymore places to look for rust? Thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:37 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikes80L48
Hey guys, after riding in my Vette one of my friends is looking at purchasing his first Vette. We may have found the perfect car for him, it's a 75-77 grey coupe, 4 speed. Monday we are going down to look at it closely and test drive it. From what we could see the car is in need of a restoration, which is what my friend wants to do. If the car runs great, but needs a paint job and some interior work (carpet) is it worth the $4,000 asking price? Also, i know about looking for rust on the car like on the frame and the radiator support, are there anymore places to look for rust? Thanks in advance guys.
if theres no surprises it sounds reasonable
Old 05-07-2005, 10:50 PM
Mikes80L48
Racer

One thing that concerned me was they just installed new floorboards because the old ones were rusted through. That is why i am wondering other places besides the frame and radiator support to look for rust.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:58 PM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Originally Posted by Mikes80L48
One thing that concerned me was they just installed new floorboards because the old ones were rusted through. That is why i am wondering other places besides the frame and radiator support to look for rust.
floorboards rusted thru? Check the frame in front of the rear tires, where it "kicks up" MAKE SURE YOU GET UNDER THE CAR, tap on the frame, check around the windshield, radiator support. Be careful! Good luck!
Old 05-07-2005, 11:07 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should also check where the body mounts to the frame for rust as well. Also the 'bird cage' the steel pieces that are put into the cars body can rust too so maybe check that as well (if you are unsure what these are have do a search there are quite a few threads).

As for price do you have pics of the car? $4,000 seems pretty good if it isn't completely stuffed chassis and drivetrain wise.

cosmicvette
Old 05-07-2005, 11:39 PM
Mikes80L48
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys, Monday I will get some pictures of it and post them.

Get notified of new replies

To Some help please.

Quick Reply: Some help please.