C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear End Lube Change Fiasco-Don't Try This At Home Kids...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2005, 05:20 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Rear End Lube Change Fiasco-Don't Try This At Home Kids...

Was getting my 42K mi Silver '68 "freshened up" for a little summer cruisin'-put new DeWitt's correct restoration radiator in, new t-stat, new upper & lower hoses, new tires, new alternator belt, original water pump rebuilt by Gould's in NY, new rear transmission rubber mount(original one was collapsed), new fuel lines front to back including rubber pieces, new oil & filter, and new GM metal donut gaskets for the exhaust. Since I had the car on the lift doing all this other work, I thought I might as well as change the rear end lube. Here's where it went BAD . I had a lube pump for my boat that I'd been using for years doing various stuff like this and it had a "6 inch extension on it". Well, to make a long story short, when I pulled the lube pump out-guess what f'kin stayed inside the f'kin rearend??? I tried for days using a shop vac with a small tube on it, flexible pinchers from Harbor Freight, using compressed air with a 1/4" tube trying to blow air in there hoping to move it around, filled the rear end up with 30W oil to try to "float" it out-ended up just dropping the whole damn rear end out today-Happy F'kin Mothers Day
Old 05-08-2005, 05:27 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

That sucks .. I did the lube change in the rear end a few times.. This never happened to me...

Luckily, on my new 12-bolt rear, I have a drain plug and can drain it without a pump...
Old 05-08-2005, 05:54 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

You got all that other work done Paul without incident, something was bound to go wrong. You were against the average.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:20 PM
Steve COSD
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do it a simple way. Large turkey baster, with a 12to15 inch clear hose. After the hose is attached to the baster. I tape a 12 to 15 inch piece of bailing wire to the hose at 2 to 3 inch intervals. This way you can bend the hose towards the bottom of the rearend and remove as much old lube as possible. Its crude but its cheap and dependable.
ALSO use special lube from GM parts, 2 bottles, and two bottles of the special additive for the clutches.
Steve
Old 05-08-2005, 07:20 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

Doh!
Old 05-08-2005, 07:30 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

oh well...the corvette gods do need to get their revenge everyonce and awhile
Old 05-08-2005, 08:18 PM
w1ctc
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One of these would have been nice.
http://www.supercircuits.com/index.a...OD&ProdID=4668
Old 05-08-2005, 09:38 PM
GTR1999
Tech Contributor

Received 2,618 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Paul,
Believe it or not I was thinking about that happening today while I was filling the differential I rebuilt for my 72. I had it on a cart completed and ready to install and was using the clear tube that come with the oil when I saw it was too far into the housing. I pulled it back out befor eit popped off the tapered cap and fell inside. It wouldn't have been as bad as your case because all I would have had to do was remove the rear cover but I wouldn't have liked it!
Gary
Old 05-08-2005, 10:02 PM
Bud640
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Paul, Since you had to go through ALL that aggrevation??? Why didnt you drill a hole in bottom and tap for a plug. Than drill a 1" hole in mount for access. If you want e-mail me I will send pict of mine. Its setting on floor ready to put in. (New everything, including 370 richmond gears)
I change the gear oil now and than. Drain plug makes it alot easier.Also use AmsOil no need for additive.
Old 05-08-2005, 11:21 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Geeeez.If that happened to me I would have packed that rear end with two pounds of ground beef,then drove it over to In & Out Burger just to see if I could make it there.
Old 05-09-2005, 04:32 AM
Solid LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Got a story about as good; I was helping my neighbor kid rebuild his 65 283 four speed Nova SS and we were trying to fill the Muncie in the car after doing a complete engine rebuild. The lube pump broke so, I get the "bright idea" to use some compressed air to pressurize the lube bottle and force the lube into the transmission. We charged the bottle and it proceded to split the side seam and spray lube all across the bottom of the car and hose down about 30% of the floor space of my friends shop! Hours of clean-up later made me decide its just better to keep a new pump on hand every time this job is performed (nothing like the smell of GL5 lube in your hair to "turn-on" your "better half" when you walk through that front door.)
Old 05-09-2005, 07:21 AM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Bud640
Hey Paul, Since you had to go through ALL that aggrevation??? Why didnt you drill a hole in bottom and tap for a plug. Than drill a 1" hole in mount for access. If you want e-mail me I will send pict of mine. Its setting on floor ready to put in. (New everything, including 370 richmond gears)
I change the gear oil now and than. Drain plug makes it alot easier.Also use AmsOil no need for additive.
Believe me, that thought did cross my mind. Matter of fact, if I would have drilled the bottom of the case for this "plug", that plastic hose was right there and I would have been able to get it
Old 05-09-2005, 11:16 AM
tersian
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just changed the lube in my 81's rear and I had to go get a pump from AutoZone to do it. It did come with some black plastic extension that was a much skinnier hose that I thought would get down in the very bottom and suck the crap out that might be hiding down there. Well, after aboput 3 minutes of pumping I realized that the diff fluid was too thick and the little hose was too small to do any good. I switched back to the rubber 5/8 OD hose that came with it and just jammed that sucker down as far as I could and pumped... and pumped... and pumped... I was fully pumped up after all that pumping. I am glad I sucked it all out because it was black and thick(and of course smelled so nice.) I refilled with Mobil synthetic and GM Posi Additive.

After I refilled I went and did about 50 figure 8's in a local church parking lot(I got a lot of strange looks.) No clunking, whining etc. so far. I think I have a rear caliper hanging up tho.

I'm just glad I don't have to do that again for awhile. I got fluid everywhere.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:49 AM
ACECO
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04 & '05

Guess I was lucky. I did this last year using a $5 (on sale) Harbor Freight suction pump and while I had to pump for what seemed like hours, it worked out OK. However at one point I almost lost the small piece of small diameter hose I had jammed in the end of the larger hose that came w/the pump. I started to pull it out of the diff and the small hose popped off and except for about 1/8" fell back into the diff. I took a pair of needle nose pliers and grabbed that sucker quick before it decided to drop back in. I'm sorry you were not as lucky.

Old 05-09-2005, 02:00 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rihwoods
Geeeez.If that happened to me I would have packed that rear end with two pounds of ground beef:

what kind of mind thinks like that? and I thought I was wierd!

I just changed mine this past Saturday before heading over to the drags. Van Steel put a drainplug in the rebuilt unit I bought from them last year. MAN am I glad I asked for that!

Get notified of new replies

To Rear End Lube Change Fiasco-Don't Try This At Home Kids...

Quick Reply: Rear End Lube Change Fiasco-Don't Try This At Home Kids...