C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed magnaflows

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 12:49 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Location: Ville de la Baie Quebec. A winner is just a loser who tried again.
Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Just installed magnaflows

well I'm a little disapointed, I wanted a nice rumble without being to agressive, I think I went overboard lollll, Man, I'll be deaf before the summers over,,oh well I don't make mistakes often, and I don't want the sound to affect the enjoyment of the ride, so I'll be changing them over to something more berable...
Old 05-13-2005, 01:04 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

What are the mods on the 327 ? What size exhaust pipes and does it have headers ?

Are they the universal straight thru mufflers ?

They should not be too bad I had a set on my 355ci with 2.5 in. dual exhaust and headers. At idle they were OK, the more gas you gave it the louder they got. YOu want loud try some FlowMaster 40's
Old 05-13-2005, 01:22 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

The 327 has a 270/470 comp cam, camel hump iron heads, performance plus intake with a 750 edelbrock carb. and Of course I have headers, and 2.5inch pipes. I know a lot of people enjoy loud exhausts and so do I to a point lolll, at cruising speed its not bad,, but its the stop and go thats killing me,lolll. and to top it all off, my town council has voted an exhaust law to limit exageration. I think I have attained it lolollll. so I'm going to save myself a ticket and go milder.
Old 05-13-2005, 07:28 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,039 Likes on 805 Posts

Dynomax Super Turbos.

-Mark.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:08 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm using Ultraflows, and right up til last Summer, I had a problem with a 35MPH drone sound that drove me nuts. I used to keep in second gear (it's automajic) to keep RPM high enough to eliminate the drone.

Last summer I put in true duals, got rid of the cat and the OEM style 2 into 1 into 2 exhaust system. Also put in a crossover pipe behind the frame crossmember. It sounds SoOoooooOOooOOOo much better now!

I love them Ultraflows!
Old 05-14-2005, 11:37 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
Dynomax Super Turbos.

-Mark.

Drove around the country with these.Really like them.Think the ultras good too,but a little louder.
Old 05-14-2005, 05:24 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

I did some experimenting today, everybody is telling me that the exterier sound is realy nice, so I let one of my better fiends lolll take it out on a test while I listen to it like a by stander. turns out that they sound realy GOOOOOOD, and not in any way obtrusive to others. so my problem is inside the car. Basicaly its my fault, I'll explain, the muffler guy did not install my tips because I wanted to do it to make sure they were straight, so all the exhaust noise is dronning under the the back of the car, also just for fun I put a wool blanket in the luggage compartement,, WOW what a difference,, the interior noise level dropped dropped dramaticaly, and its actually very enjoyable, so I have some insulating to do very soon.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:06 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

That's what I was getting at,everybody loved the Magnflows on mine, I would have got a another set but I think they would be too loud in the 3 inch version, just might go that route anyway if the Super Turbos don't work out
Old 05-15-2005, 09:21 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

I used thin carpet foam from Home Depot for sound insulation. It help a lot and didn't cost an arm and a leg. just a suggestion.
Old 05-15-2005, 09:49 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Michel B
I did some experimenting today, everybody is telling me that the exterier sound is realy nice, so I let one of my better fiends lolll take it out on a test while I listen to it like a by stander. turns out that they sound realy GOOOOOOD, and not in any way obtrusive to others. so my problem is inside the car. Basicaly its my fault, I'll explain, the muffler guy did not install my tips because I wanted to do it to make sure they were straight, so all the exhaust noise is dronning under the the back of the car, also just for fun I put a wool blanket in the luggage compartement,, WOW what a difference,, the interior noise level dropped dropped dramaticaly, and its actually very enjoyable, so I have some insulating to do very soon.
Good idea.
I get a resonance at 1500 rpm with my rear cutain "rod". It only lasts a second shifting from 1st to 2nd.I think it is a wood dowel but,I still like the Super Turbo's for crusin.
Old 05-15-2005, 12:20 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bluewasp
I used thin carpet foam from Home Depot for sound insulation. It help a lot and didn't cost an arm and a leg. just a suggestion.
Definatly going to try it out, Thanks !!!
Old 05-15-2005, 12:29 PM
AGVI
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Canadian Events Coordinator

Definatly going to try it out, Thanks !!!
Old 05-15-2005, 12:39 PM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Does anyone think these will be noisy on a stock 350?

http://www.drgas.com/SpinTechCruiser.asp

I think they'll fit nice under-car.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:21 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

You'll have no problems to fit them on a Vette,, the dimensions are quite similar to my magnaflows,, except the ones your looking at are VERY thin. 2 inchs is not thick, so my quess is probably louder than mine. The smaller you go the less noise absorbtion.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:43 PM
SkunkApe
Drifting

You'll have no problems to fit them on a Vette,, the dimensions are quite similar to my magnaflows,, except the ones your looking at are VERY thin. 2 inchs is not thick, so my quess is probably louder than mine. The smaller you go the less noise absorbtion.
I want to exit the exhaust right behind the rear wheel. These will fit under the cockpit, right before the last outward bend.
Old 05-16-2005, 04:24 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Hmm, that doesn't leave much for ground clearence, if I understand corectly, the mufflers will be under the seats towards the center? And the pipes will continue the normal route but out towards the back of the wheels, Its interesting thats for sure, Have you considered the heat, maybe its not a factor, but just in case look into it. Anything can be done thats for sure,, it you do go that route, make sure to post something with your experience...
Old 05-16-2005, 05:03 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you extended the tips yet? That's your first step into quelling the drone. The Maggies did the exact same thing in my LS. Once I got the pipes dumping out beyond the bumper, the drone went away.

I have Maggies on three of my four driving vehicles. Not the Vette, cause Magnaflow doesn't make sidepipe inserts! I love their (Magnaflow's) sound. It's just the right balance of tone and loudness. Plus, they F L O W.

Get notified of new replies

To Just installed magnaflows

Old 05-16-2005, 05:50 PM
Michel B
Burning Brakes

Ya, actually I installed a temporay tip for the weekend and its great !! I just finished making a set at work, just like the originals but I used 304 .080th stainless,, all tigged and polished,, they realy look good,, lololl going to put them on tonight,, but can't realy go out for a drive, its rainning..

Just put them on,, sure dresses up the rear, kinda like the difference having your qirl fiend in granny panties or a G sting..

Last edited by Michel B; 05-16-2005 at 08:51 PM.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:56 PM
SkunkApe
Drifting

Hmm, that doesn't leave much for ground clearence, if I understand corectly, the mufflers will be under the seats towards the center? And the pipes will continue the normal route but out towards the back of the wheels, Its interesting thats for sure, Have you considered the heat, maybe its not a factor, but just in case look into it. Anything can be done thats for sure,, it you do go that route, make sure to post something with your experience...
The mufflers are 2.25" thick...same size as my (new) exhaust system. So, they should fit wherever the pipe fits.

I'm planning on installing heat shielding on the exterior (underside) of the passenger compartment (right above the muffler) and then wrapping them with the "catalytic converter blanket" sold by Summit. I also plan on wrapping the pipes where they run under the passenger compartment.

I'll post pics upon completion.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:34 AM
Crab
Burning Brakes

Can you tell me which Magnaflow muffler you installed? thanks

Quick Reply: Just installed magnaflows