Sponsored by:

Rear Axel Joint replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:51 AM
skydaddy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rear Axel Joint replacement

I recently got a 79 for a pretty good deal. After driving it a couple of days - she is now showing signs of being put up for a few years - the guy said that he drove it once a week or so. After doing everything that I could think of for a tune up the weekend after I bought it, I now have a "clunking" noise coming from the rear of the car and I think the RR axel joint(s) are going out. I knew I was getting a little project car but this is on the big side. Does anyone have any helpful hints about DIY work in this area?
Old 05-16-2005, 10:30 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

When do you here this clunking noise? After you accelerate. When you put it in gear. When you go around corners. A little more info will help us help you.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:15 AM
skydaddy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I start hearing this noise upon movement of the car. It is worse when starting from a stop and while making a turn from a stop, say a left turn at a stop sign. There is some noise while moving at speed as well. I had my brother-in-law outside of the car as I drove by and he said right rear. My Father-in-law is a GM mechanic for 35 years, I had him look at the car when he was visiting this weekend and he said that the u-joints looked like the original in the RR but looked fairly new in the LR (he will be able to provide advice and assistance on the phone, but said that he hates Corvette rear ends and has only worked on 1). He left before the noise started. FYI, the car is a 4 speed.

I know it is not a wheel bearing - we checked for that in the "tune up".

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Axel Joint replacement

Quick Reply: Rear Axel Joint replacement