Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

proper way to jack a C-3

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 12:52 AM
LIQUIDDRAGON
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had my car on stands for four months and opened the doors at least once a day and took the t-tops off at least once every other week while i was working on the interior. just the other day i put the tires back on the car and went to put the front back on ramps and when i took out the front passanger stand to lower the front passanger wheel to the ramp the jack kept going down but the car didnt and the tire never made it to the ramp. i was extremely shocked to see the car sitting on only three ramps with the engine in the car. cant tell me that the frame on my car isnt stiff.
Old 05-28-2005, 02:02 AM
lostpatrolman
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rihwoods
This much is evident:An un-equal lift will tweak these bodies and may cause some stress.Mine got the ultimate test:a six foot drop off a hydraulic rack,went off rear end first,cracking left front fender,right front scoop,right rear corner,dent in oil pan,chunk out of belhousing,and pushed rear frame up 3/4" plus cracking rear bumper on right side.
Many times,I had previously jacked this Vette up on one side,doors closed,with no problem,and I'm talking 18" from the garage floor.
I would hardly call a 6 foot drop off a lift an "unequal lift". I guarantee you there would be plenty of damage to any car from a 6 foot drop. If you need to rely on your doors to provide structural support then something is wrong. I would lift my 69 with tops off and doors open since it made things alot easier to work on. I could close my doors no problem. I dont see how the doors would provide any support if you are able to open and close them while the car is in the air.

Last edited by lostpatrolman; 05-28-2005 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-28-2005, 11:02 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lostpatrolman
The frame would have to be in pretty bad shape if you are depending on a fiberglass door and ttops to hold the body together.
Not 'depending on them' but rather just using them to enhance the rigidity of the car. That's all. Like a ragtop has extra bracing because there's no roof. Makes sense to me. I was working at a Chevy dealer here in SD when these cars were new and they gave us very specific instructions on this.

OTOH as other posters have said these cars are old now! (damn what's that say about me?) so my first post still stands: "who knows anymore"

Quick Reply: proper way to jack a C-3