Sponsored by:

need advice on a cherry picker and motor stand

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2005, 02:45 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default need advice on a cherry picker and motor stand

Hi, we've decided to pull the engine on my dads 68 instead of detailing with it in the car. I was again't it but he's all for just pulling it and doing it right repainting the block etcetc..

what picker and motor stands are for the money good ones? we looked at some today one was a GRIP which was grand rapid industries products and it was $162 and I think it was a 2 ton. I get it for $116 since my friends dad owns the store and thats what he pays for it and instead of $82 for the motor stand I get it for $58 I want a motor stand that you can rotate or do most do that?

but before I bought those figured you guys might know of some that are pretty good for the price.

Last edited by wildman378; 06-03-2005 at 02:49 PM.
Old 06-03-2005, 02:53 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That's great pricing!

I can get GRIP around here and it's always the cheapest. I've got a few of their pieces. It's cheap (both ways), but does the job in cases like this. If you were going into business or racing, I'd suggest something a bit more robust. For you, the GRIP inside deal is gonna be nearly impossible to beat.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:02 PM
GrandSportC3
Team Owner

Received 83 Likes on 58 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII-VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03, '06, '17

I paid $125 for the cherry picker and $39 for the engine stand at Homier... Both worked great!
Old 06-03-2005, 03:03 PM
skydaddy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Harbor freight is also a good place to get low cost items like that. I think your inside deal is probably gonna beat their $ though.
Old 06-03-2005, 03:10 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGorman
That's great pricing!

I can get GRIP around here and it's always the cheapest. I've got a few of their pieces. It's cheap (both ways), but does the job in cases like this. If you were going into business or racing, I'd suggest something a bit more robust. For you, the GRIP inside deal is gonna be nearly impossible to beat.

thanks for the advice guys and GGorman thats what I wanted to hear because usually things from his store are the El cheapo stuff and I wanted something fairly decent because I can see myself redoing plenty of cars one day so sounds like the GRIP is ok and yeah for the price seems great I'll just go with that brand.

haha get this my dad is like why do we need a cherry picker I havea front end loader on my tractor we can use that a come along I know it would work but hey every car guy likes his toys and I want to start my tool collection anyway
Old 06-03-2005, 03:30 PM
CGGorman
Team Owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

My dad ALWAYS used a block & tackle and a helper. It hung from the garage rafters all the time. When parking day-to-day, you knew you were far enough into the garage when the chain hit the windshield. Seriously.

Everybody has their own ways...

Last edited by CGGorman; 06-03-2005 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:00 PM
pionexxxx
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad I saw this before you bought one because a guy told me a regular cherry picker like your talking about won't pull the engine on your car the nose and all is too long
Old 06-04-2005, 04:01 PM
68raggtop
Racer

Originally Posted by pionexxxx
glad I saw this before you bought one because a guy told me a regular cherry picker like your talking about won't pull the engine on your car the nose and all is too long
It works if you position it on the side rather than from the front. Once up, I just roll it sideways out the front so I don't have to worry about the fender getting hit.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:41 PM
DJ Dep
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'07

Originally Posted by pionexxxx
The guy is wrong. I pulled mine (454) out from the front no problem. The arm is adjustable for length. Just lengthen it and it will work fine.
Click on My Corvette photos and you can see my motor dangling from the hoist. Hoist is an AC Delco.

Dep
Old 06-04-2005, 08:37 PM
Red 69
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

After many years making do with an overhead beam and hoist, I bought a cherry picker from SAM's Club. It is painted a medium gloss blue with a white BF Goodrich Racing logo on a leg. It was $178 and came with a nice HD load leveler. They also had a matching rebuild stand for $58 that was as good as the best I've seen. They are both discontinued items, so limited to inventory on hand.
Old 06-18-2005, 11:01 AM
molchaser
Advanced

After chunking my motor 14 months ago, I have got enough $$$ for a decent crate motor and some other "while I am at it" type stuff.

I'd kinda like to pull it with transmission (4spd), but am worried about the "reach" (extended lenght) I'll need.

From what I've seen an extra foot of reach about doubles the the cost of the picker.

I'd be curious to hear about the "reach" you all have use successful in a combined motor/tranny pick.

Only thing worse than paying $400 for something that I coulda done with a $200 piece is buying a $200 piece that won't work and then spending an additional $400.

I'd rather spend my budget on the car...not un necessary tools

Thanks,

Ken (molchaser)

Thanks

Last edited by molchaser; 06-18-2005 at 11:07 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To need advice on a cherry picker and motor stand

Quick Reply: need advice on a cherry picker and motor stand