Sponsored by:

502 CanAm Project Update

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2005, 06:57 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bullshark
Mark, Great to see all your progress Just a couple of lesson learn inputs from my RamJet 502 install. Looks like you have the stock six quart oil pan on yours. I wound up having to switch to a kicked out Moroso seven quart pan to gain adequate ground clearance. the stock pan only gave me 3.5" and it wasn't long before I was the pan on racks and speed bumps.

What transmission are you going to use? If it is a manual tranny make sure you use the correct pilot bearing. the one they call out in the directions is incorrect for the Muncie or Tremec trannys.

Make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. Ramjet is very sensitive to that. I chased one down in my old headlight actuators that was small but caused major headaches with the MAP sensor.

There is probably more but can't think of them now. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions

Bullshark

Thanks for the advice. I'm planning on switching oil pans but in the mean time I built a skid plate from 1/4" steel plate the pan is only 3/4 inches deeper than the small block pan that was there to begin with.

I checked out the pilot bearing on the M21 tranny input shaft before I installed it. the M21 will go in favor of a TKO-600 GM unit next year.

Vacuum leaks ? I have non of the pop up headlight stuff on my car

My real problem is a hood and getting cool fresh air to the intake, It looks as if the
diameter of the flange on the TB is about 4 inches. What did u use to get the intake turned down ?
Old 06-16-2005, 07:01 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gkull
This is 1.5 inch angle aluminum with self taping screws into the frame rails under the radiator with 5.5 inch rubber. Because of the high mounting location on my Daytona front end I reall need 8 or so inch rubber and use a larger aluminum stock

That's the Idea... BTW they have 12" stuff at the Tractor Supply house.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Bullshark
Melting Slicks

Received 104 Likes on 49 Posts
CI 5 & 8 Veteran

Originally Posted by 84rzv500r
I checked out the pilot bearing on the M21 tranny input shaft before I installed it. the M21 will go in favor of a TKO-600 GM unit next year.

My real problem is a hood and getting cool fresh air to the intake, It looks as if the
diameter of the flange on the TB is about 4 inches. What did u use to get the intake turned down ?
There are two shoulders on the rear of the 502 crank. The first (outer most) shoulder is approx 1.75" in diameter and can accept a bearing that looks like this and is incorrect:

Use the smaller pilot bearing that is inserted deeper into the crank and is less than an inch in dia.
This is probably obvious to you and most, but it could be disasterous if someone let the transmission input shaft push the crank forward and spin a thrust bearing. I almost didn't catch it cause the Muncie was very close and could be easily overlooked.

Yes, the diameter of the intake flange is 4" and you aren't going to like my solution......very expensive
I bought the 45 degree 4" transition hose offered at this web site
http://www.turbohoses.com/45%20Degree.htm

I fabricated a stainless steel band approx 2" long and 4" dia to interface the air cleaner to one end of the transition hose.

I have posted numerous pics of my engine and the L-88 hood and how I had to raise it ~ 1.5" so you might take a look if interested. If you need more info let me know.

Bullshark

Last edited by Bullshark; 06-16-2005 at 09:37 PM.

Quick Reply: 502 CanAm Project Update