Old 06-16-2005, 07:48 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Default 70 What's it worth

OK boys and girls,
Came across a guy trying to sell a 1970 coupe. Original owner w/POP, dealer invoice, complete history. It's a 52000 mile Laguna gray(repainted Mercedes gray),with black vinyl.The car was hit and repaired(good work)front left,also in rear, back in the late 70's.No damage to the body now! Bonding lines aren't visible. Paint is dull, but probably can be detailed.Car is all there down to the box the license plate frames came in! Appears to have all original glass,have codes just haven't checked yet.Body seams line up good, except the T Tops there is very wide space between the two.Maybe needs adjustment only.The interior is in great shape with new carpets, no tears or rips.Everything works fiber optics,clock,AM/FM all gauges.Vacum is strong, wiper door and headlights work fine.T Top bags where in the back!
The motor is a 350/350 that has also been painted, yes paint on the #pad, but the numbers are there and do match (block,intake,carb.,trans,etc). On 70's was there an emision sticker on the firewall, if so it's been painted over.Also no blue GM vin sticker on the door painted over also? Windshield vin plate is original untouched. Checked the head thru the oil fill cap,it matched.Looks like some suspension work has been done, probably do to the front left damage.Tires are radials on the original wheels in good shape.Also, the car does have air conditioning!
Didn't get to drive the car yet, but I was told that it drives and stops straight?
I'm relatively new to the Corvette hobby, just bought an original 71BB w/ 17,000 miles, maybe one for show the other to drive? Like to hear what everyone has to say!Thanks in advance kdg490
Old 06-16-2005, 08:10 PM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Driving and stopping straight you can fix - I'd check the frame in front of the rear wheels for rust through, and perhaps the windshield framework.

On 70's was there an emision sticker on the firewall...
There was a small sticker on flat spot near the hood latch on the drivers side. There should be a small paper sticker on the door near the latch with the VIN, and a riveted code tag on the driver's door (near the hinge) with paint and interior color codes.

I'm not sure it's legal for someone to own more than one Vette!! Anyway, most folks on this forum agree that 1970 is the finest and best looking year for Corvettes... They will probably try to deny this fact, and state that other years are better - giving phoney reasons, etc...
Old 06-16-2005, 08:37 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Z-man
Anyway, most folks on this forum agree that 1970 is the finest and best looking year for Corvettes... They will probably try to deny this fact, and state that other years are better - giving phoney reasons, etc...

Z-man is totally right. 70 is the finest year and there is no denying it!

As for value for this 70 you have described..thats a tough one.....

It has full documentation and history and 52000 original miles....thats a real plus.

Its not the original colour or paint colour....however sounds like it may be the paint done when it was repaired of the accident damage as the paint is faded you mention.

350/350, so must be a manual. Numbers matching.

Well Im sure someone on this board can help you out....Im guessing its worth somewhere between $20K and $23K.....whats the owner asking? Isn't that a gage of how much its worth! Its worth as much as someone is willing to pay.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:44 PM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Those L-46's are getting up there in price too. Buy it.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:08 PM
luerja
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 70 would also include a 71 as the best looking years since they are exactly the same except for couple very very minor differences.

Jim
Old 06-16-2005, 09:40 PM
early shark
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep. 1971 would be the last of the best. Last year chrome metal pedal mouldings, chrome plated plastic fresh air vents & *****, green phosphorescent lettered gauges, fiberoptic light monitoring system, non retractible lap belts, metal backed inside mirror, chrome plastic plated radio *****, , manual pushbutton seat belt light/no buzzer.

It also happens to be the last year manual transmission cars outsold automatics!
Old 06-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Sandiego70
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, love my 70 in Laguna Grey!
Old 06-17-2005, 01:16 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

That sure is a nice looking 70 (pic in your avatar).

Early Shark: thats some great info:
Last year chrome metal pedal mouldings, chrome plated plastic fresh air vents & *****, green phosphorescent lettered gauges, fiberoptic light monitoring system, non retractible lap belts, metal backed inside mirror, chrome plastic plated radio *****, , manual pushbutton seat belt light/no buzzer.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Forgot to mention re: price. You might check some recent Corvette magazines (Vette & Corvette Fever) to see what similar cars actually sold for in the auctions. I think they have listings near the front. That way you could get a pretty good starting point regarding price...
Old 06-17-2005, 02:07 AM
TexasMadMan
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, I'm just a novice here. I know factory AC didn't come with the 370 HP engine. Could you get the air with the 350 HP engine?
Old 06-17-2005, 07:36 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Yeah Im quite sure air con was an option available with the 350hp.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:17 AM
JAH70
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming no rust problems,I think it would be a very good deal at $18k-$19k,a reasonable price at $20K-$21k or so, and not a good deal over $23k or so. Even well repaired damage makes the car worth a couple thou less than a "never hit" car,imho. Hope this helps.
John
Old 06-17-2005, 06:57 PM
gearheaddroppings
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by TexasMadMan
Hey, I'm just a novice here. I know factory AC didn't come with the 370 HP engine. Could you get the air with the 350 HP engine?
My L-46 has A/C. By getting A/C, you could not get the M-21/22 or a rear higher than 3.55. Mine has the 3.55 rear in it.

This sounds like a decent car. I would check the usual frame/birdcage areas.

The documentation is a huge plus to resale.

These '70's have really been skyrocketing lately.

As for differences between '70's and '71's, most of the changes are in the engine options. The HP rating really goes down on the '71. There are other slight differences involving the front grills, side grills, color options, etc.

Good luck.

Tom
Old 06-18-2005, 12:02 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

Default thanks guys and Hello

Thank all of you for your advise,and hello to all the forum members.I'm a rookie! As I mentioned earlier, I not only new to the Corvette hobby, new to the club, forum thing as well.
I wasn't aware of any rule where you couldn't own more than one vette, I'm looking one of each! HA HA (C 3's only of course)
Man did I find the PERFECT 71 to start off with!!! 17,000 real original miles.
Back to the 70 for a minute, to all you 70 lovers,the car did run sweet!Started right up, after sitting for months. I did check as best as possible for rust, and the frame looked fine, but there was some evidence of rust @ the lower passanger windshield post. Also alot of undercoating @ each wheel well,under hood, muffler area,spare tire carrier.Forgot to mention before you guys are right its a 4 speed,L46 with air, and vinyl int.
The owner is looking for somewhere from 20 to 25k, I think more like 18k.Can you really repair competely a hit car? Front damage was from a slide into high curb, rear end from rear collision with another car. Just being hit before scares the H out of me!
I'm waiting for a copy of the dealer invoice, and I'd like to drive it! Perhaps, take a deep breath, clear my head a little, and come down from the treasure hunt a little? Thanks again kdg

Get notified of new replies

To 70 What's it worth

Quick Reply: 70 What's it worth