Sponsored by:

another idea... might do it

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 08:46 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Default another idea... might do it

i have been thinking for a few months on how to secure my t-tops in the back.... i designed my audio setup so i could lay the tops in bags on top and strap em down..... i had this idea for a while of creating a storage box under the rear of the car below the gas tank.... thin enough to store 2 tops or a 1 piece top and maybe some cleaning items..... i looked and measured and i can make a box with some sort of a drop down swing hinge or just a fold down bottom so i can access it easily.... i can seal it and put some padding in it for comfort....... you prolly won't really see it anyways since it will be thin.... i can put a lock on it also....... what do u people think..... i'm ending the exhaust at the rear suspension so that wont be a problem.......

b
Old 06-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Bangkok Dean
Le Mans Master

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Boy that sounds like a lot of work and don't see it looking good for some reason. The few time Im able to drive with the Ttops off keeping them easly avalable is good. This sunday it started to pour (rainy season in the tropics) I had to quickly put the tops back on, im happy they are easy to get at. It seames to me that the rear chrome racks work ok.
Anyway lets see what others say on this. By the way you are doing a bang up job on your car. Did you get your dash covered yet?
Old 06-20-2005, 09:15 PM
Sharky Guam
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, I will have to agree that the idea sounds unconventional. But I like it. If you can do it where it makes the bottom of the rear of the car look less empty, then it will look sweet.
...and yeah I can agree about the wet weather in the tropics....we are getting a storm passing thru right now in Guam.....you never know when it will dump a heavy shower quickly, so if the storage area is hard to access quickly, for us it won't work......

Good luck....
Old 06-20-2005, 09:40 PM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

i might do a mock up out of wood and see what happens.... i figure if i do it, i'll do it out of fiberglass and maybe make it look like it belongs there.... some chrome straps or something..... if i can get someone to sell me there folding canvas t-tops then i'll be set.... the original tops are tooo bulky... i could always do a astro top for rain purposes...... i can't use my storage compartments since all my audio wiring and alarm siren is in there..... i drilled holes in the bottom of the compartment and mounted the siren facing down.... this was there is now way they can get to snip my siren wires........ ha.......

b
Old 06-20-2005, 11:03 PM
1980 454
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your idea is really good ive also seen your photo gallery and you are a true craftsman im sure with a little elbow grease it would be the next big thing . I think it would look hot built with aluminum checker plate light and lots of bling! If you do build it make sure you post the pictures.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:59 AM
onaqwst
Le Mans Master

thanks... i have alot of ideas all the time.... it's just trying to make it happen...... you can see some of my other work at www.237am.com.... i have always been involved with designing/build since i was a kid..... i could do it out of aluminum also.... i can get it welded up since i have a guy that can do it..... my welder won't do aluminum..... i'm just waiting on some dimensions for an astro top then i'll go from there...

b

Get notified of new replies

To another idea... might do it

Quick Reply: another idea... might do it