C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Factory radio...How bad does it really sound??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 03:55 PM
LS-Five
East bound and down...
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bdr922
Where did you get this done? Can I take a mono radio and upgrade it or does the radio have to be stereo to begin with?

Tayman Electrical is good and priced a little cheaper than Antique Auto Radio, which is the other service that many use. I was like you and liked the look of a factory radio so I sent mine to Tayman.

Oh, and to answer your question, it will be stereo 4ch output.

http://www.taymanelectrical.samsbiz....tory0.content&

Last edited by LS-Five; 07-12-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:57 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just got a old RCA radio from this guy on ebay, he has a ton of older radio's that are still new in the box removed from the storage area of a old stereo shop.....I gave $19.95 + 14.00 shipping for mine and it has chrome *****, black face, chrome push buttons, digital readout etc. It has to be over 25 years old and looks brand new. I'm going to add a small amp new speakers, and a FM modulated cd changer. It's not "factory" but has a vintage feel to it and blends well with the interior of my corvette.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZoldtimesman33

Old 07-12-2005, 05:46 PM
Ganey
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Speakers can make a dramatic day & night difference like 5.25 in doors or kick panels.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:57 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 550 Likes on 377 Posts

My understanding about these early C3 stereo is that the issue is not only about the fidelity of their performance, but rather about quality. People who restore these radios state that the production quality was very poor; bad solder joints, etc. Capacitors that fail and other cheap components.
Old 07-12-2005, 10:42 PM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1982CorvetteDude
I just got a old RCA radio from this guy on ebay, he has a ton of older radio's that are still new in the box removed from the storage area of a old stereo shop.....I gave $19.95 + 14.00 shipping for mine and it has chrome *****, black face, chrome push buttons, digital readout etc. It has to be over 25 years old and looks brand new. I'm going to add a small amp new speakers, and a FM modulated cd changer. It's not "factory" but has a vintage feel to it and blends well with the interior of my corvette.

http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZoldtimesman33

I like the look of that..........its cool Looks really cool
Old 07-13-2005, 05:38 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,536 Likes on 796 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

There is a couple of places which can take your original radio and gut the internals and replace them with modern electronics and higher wattage for about $300. I kept my stock head and installed a 6 CD player in the storage compartment. It doesn't sound half bad for a 1978 radio. I wanted to retain the stock look.
Old 07-14-2005, 02:30 AM
gsfgf
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you're gonna just use your ipod, just hook it directly into the amp. FM transmitters all suck. Go with something you can hardwire.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:37 AM
KenSny
Melting Slicks

Received 277 Likes on 201 Posts

Radio? Never turn it on. Can't hear it anyway with the open cowl hood, 2-1/2" duals and T-Tops off...... Hardly ever turn on the the one in my daily driver either - just more noise and commericals selling stuff in between what passes for music.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:36 PM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CGGorman
If you're satisifed with FM, I don't see any reason why you couldn't use some modern speakers and little aftermarket amplifier (both weak spots in an old radio) to get very respectable sound.
WARNING! The original amp section of Delco radios of early C3 era are VERY low wattage and are designed for 10 ohms! Modern automotive speakers are all 4 ohms and that's just too hard on an old amp. Radio shack dropped their 8 ohm speakers years ago. So the only option are modern Delco upgrade speakers that are still avail (10 ohms). I don't have the part # s handy but there are two speakers available and if you are using an original Delco radio or stereo you want the PREMIUM version. Probably around $30 a piece. Those speakers and a good early C3 stereo (not radio) deliver decent hi fidelity. It has a nice pleasing mellow sound to it.

If you have an early C3 (pre 76) and want originality w/o spending a fortune - I strongly recommend a '73-75 Stereo unit. They go right in and the electronics and sound quality are the most improved over earlier radios/stereos. Combine one of those with a set of new Delco 10 ohm premium speakers and it aint' half bad. The only nitpicky thing is the radio dial is white (blue at night) instead of that slightly greenish tint. 99% of people will never notice the difference. The later stereos were made in abundance and are often floating around used. Early stereos are rarer, more expensive and the electronics aren't as good.

Originally Posted by CGGorman
A modern, high-dollar head unit will sound awful if you put to the original speakers...
Yep! Then again on early C3s - dollars to donuts says most original speakers don't even work!
Old 07-15-2005, 11:38 PM
pgtr
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

BTW I just remembered, I'm in need of a junker '69-71 mono radio (for parts) if anybody has one they don't want (cheap). Also I need a single tone/balance **** in decent shape. PM me. Thanks

Quick Reply: Factory radio...How bad does it really sound??