Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2005, 10:33 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default front bumper installation - ???? and PICs

I'm going to install the fiberglass front bumper today

I removed the old bumper and also removed part of the 5 mph impact protection.

question: with the rest of the metal impact bar in place it's difficult (almost impossible) to get the new bumper bolts in :o

getting the old bumper off was easy, I cut the bolts
Old 08-13-2005, 11:00 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you don't want to remove the entire headlight assemblies (PITA and will take you all day), it's easier to get to the upper bumper nuts/bolts if you remove the headlight bezels + bulbs + cups and take out the headlight door pivot bolts (don't lose the plastic bushing). Then you can prop the headlight doors open and reach in from the top to tighten the upper bumper bolts..
Old 08-13-2005, 11:08 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Star79
if you don't want to remove the entire headlight assemblies (PITA and will take you all day), it's easier to get to the upper bumper nuts/bolts if you remove the headlight bezels + bulbs + cups and take out the headlight door pivot bolts (don't lose the plastic bushing). Then you can prop the headlight doors open and reach in from the top to tighten the upper bumper bolts..

The six bolts under the headlights are relatively easy to get to from under the car, the four in the center are impossible to get to... I can reach in there and get to the side where the nuts are, however I can't get to the other side (towards the front) to insert the bolts.
Old 08-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

question while you have it apart like that.

Do you have two curved metal brackets on the INNER fender corners? (not the ones inside the actual bumper) I just did the same thing on my 79 and didn't see these two pieces. I see them in catalogs, not in my AIM, but see them for sale and on other cars.

Pics of what I'm talking about

if pic doesn't work here's some on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CORVE...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-13-2005, 11:15 AM
Star79
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RedBad1979
The six bolts under the headlights are relatively easy to get to from under the car, the four in the center are impossible to get to... I can reach in there and get to the side where the nuts are, however I can't get to the other side (towards the front) to insert the bolts.
I didn't have to deal with holding/inserting bolts. I recreated the original keepers for the bolts (thin metal strip with holes drilled and bolts tack welded so they wouldn't spin).
Old 08-13-2005, 11:17 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

No, I haven't seen these brackets. I bought these instead to mount the new bumper:

These worked great when I installed the rear bumper.

I'm wondering if I should just remove the metal impact bar... with the fiberglass bumper the front is going to be destroyed anyways in case I hit something
Old 08-13-2005, 12:00 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO, keep as much impact protection as you can. We even keep the honey-comb absorber, just trim as needed. Without the bar, a 5 mph collision will COMPLETELY wipe out the front end.

Get notified of new replies

To front bumper installation - ???? and PICs

Quick Reply: front bumper installation - ???? and PICs