Sponsored by:

Front spoiler question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 09:47 AM
Chopper Larry
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front spoiler question

My 1980 is missing ALL the pieces in the underneath middle of the front end.
I know I would run a bit cooler on the highway with them in place; my question is do the aftermarket "ground effect" style spoilers funnell air up toward the radiator like the factory stuff, and which is better for that purpose. I know the 78 Pace Car spoilers DO push air upwards, but not sure about the later model ones.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:59 AM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Location: 406ci SB, AFR 180 Heads - 490 HP @5,600 RPM 529 lb-ft @ 4,100 RPM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nope, I have a complete ground effects kit on my 79 and run around 190 - 210 temps on the highway, 180-185 in town during the summer.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:30 AM
Chopper Larry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Glass Act
Nope, I have a complete ground effects kit on my 79 and run around 190 - 210 temps on the highway, 180-185 in town during the summer.
Does the front one direct any air at all? I'm about the same right now except I run around 220 on the hwy.

I like the ground effects look and it's not much more expensive to put that in in lieu of the stock stuff I'm missing.

I also just installed a "cover" over the top of the space between the condensor and radiator to force more air thru the radiator.
Old 08-12-2005, 11:57 AM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

Yes some of these kits will increase the air flow to the area in front of the radiator if they are designed correctly. The pace car spoiler mounts behind the lower valance so it can divert air into the high pressure area in front of the radiator, the lower air dam for your car is very important in keeping your car cool at speed. There are other areas that will help cool your car also, it is very important to force all the air through the condenser coil (if you have A/C) and through the radiator. We have talked about it but we just don’t realize how important it is to make sure there is no holes are gaps for air to flow around the condenser or radiator. I have sealed every possible path for the air to flow around the radiator and condenser, it must go through both. I have worked on automobile A/C systems for many years and have done some fine tuning on them, you can lower the vent temps at idle by just sealing between the radiator and condenser so all air must flow through the condenser first and can’t bypass around it. Just step back and look at it you need to divert air into the area in front of the radiator, the area in front of the radiator is a high pressure area. Hope this helps.

Neal
Old 08-12-2005, 02:17 PM
Chopper Larry
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by chevymans 77
Yes some of these kits will increase the air flow to the area in front of the radiator if they are designed correctly. The pace car spoiler mounts behind the lower valance so it can divert air into the high pressure area in front of the radiator, the lower air dam for your car is very important in keeping your car cool at speed. There are other areas that will help cool your car also, it is very important to force all the air through the condenser coil (if you have A/C) and through the radiator. We have talked about it but we just don’t realize how important it is to make sure there is no holes are gaps for air to flow around the condenser or radiator. I have sealed every possible path for the air to flow around the radiator and condenser, it must go through both. I have worked on automobile A/C systems for many years and have done some fine tuning on them, you can lower the vent temps at idle by just sealing between the radiator and condenser so all air must flow through the condenser first and can’t bypass around it. Just step back and look at it you need to divert air into the area in front of the radiator, the area in front of the radiator is a high pressure area. Hope this helps.

Neal
Thanks...I've pretty much sealed the space in there...the 78-79 Pace Car spoiler does not fit the 80 & 81 cars; I'm looking at replacing the lower valance (air dam) and the stock spoiler or getting something like one of the ground effects packages.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:25 PM
Jim Martley2
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A buddy of mine put an Eckler's custom front spoiler on his 80 and it didn't last a week. Between NO "speed bump" clearance and it running 230-240 degrees on the highway, he pulled it off and put a stock center piece and the 2 lower black rubber pieces on and life was good again. 190 degrees at 80mph and no worries about ground clearance.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:49 PM
chevymans 77
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 95 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06,'11,'13-'14,'16,'18,'19

The center air dam is mounted that it stacks air under the nose of the car to create a high pressure area right under the nose to direct air into the void in front of the radiator. Some of the ground effects packages move the air dam toward to the front of the bumper this moves the high pressure area to the front of the bumper, there are usually holes in the front of the ground effects to allow air to enter the area in front of the radiator sometimes this does not work as good as the factory air dam.

Neal
Old 08-12-2005, 07:48 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Jim Martley2
A buddy of mine put an Eckler's custom front spoiler on his 80 and it didn't last a week. Between NO "speed bump" clearance and it running 230-240 degrees on the highway, he pulled it off.
I'm using a Ecklers ground kit on my 79 and have 4 1/2 in ground clearance (front end) never had an issue that I didn't have with my stock front end. My headers will hit before my spoiler ever would as they are lower off the ground.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Glass Act
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chopper Larry
Does the front one direct any air at all? I'm about the same right now except I run around 220 on the hwy.

I like the ground effects look and it's not much more expensive to put that in in lieu of the stock stuff I'm missing.
Chopper Larry, I have a complete ground effects by Ecklers. (front, side, rear.) and I also like the looks. The only thing you can't do if you install a rocker side effects is install side pipes because of clearence. I have a new rad so this may answer mine running a bit cooler on the hwy.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:02 PM
Chopper Larry
Le Mans Master

Thanks guys...altho I like the looks of the grouns effect package, I may stay with the stock stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Front spoiler question

Quick Reply: Front spoiler question