Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help Installing Mechanical Fuel Pump

Old 10-25-2005, 08:45 AM
TXredc3
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Help Installing Mechanical Fuel Pump

Am replacing the fuel pump on L-48. Like always, I did a search on all the threads involving this so I'll be well educated and won't run into as many problems. Already have enough wrenches sticking out of my garage wall (jk). I noticed that a lot of people talked about some kind of rod coming out of the block and having to grease it to hold it up in order for the new pump to go on. I don't see a rod. Just a big hole. Am I missing something???
Old 10-25-2005, 09:17 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea, that's the fuel pump rod. Maybe it fell out when you removed the old pump...look on the floor, it may be there, or, maybe it's still inside the block...if it is you're in business, just install the gasket and push the pump up and bolt it down

Last edited by GDaina; 10-25-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

That is your fuel pump push rod...most just remove bolt on the forward right face of the engine block(just opposite forward pump mounting bolt),and use slightly longer bolt (3/8"x16x2")to hold rod in before removing pump....better find the rod..(also I think the same length rod will work on a the A/C or Delco pump)....Chiltons Repair manual for 63-82 Vettes is a good reference...(don't forget to change the block bolt back after installing pump)..

Last edited by rihwoods; 10-25-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-25-2005, 10:43 AM
cosmicvette
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine recently...............I used the grease method (to hold the rod in place).........worked like a charm.....

although the engine has to be rotated so that the rod is as far into the block as possible..........otherwise you have to struggle to compress the lever arm on the fuel pump while your trying to bolt it back on...

Old 10-25-2005, 02:32 PM
redc3
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe he hasnt removed the backing plate, and the rod never came out. thats why he hasnt seen one. have you removed two bolts or four?

Get notified of new replies

To Help Installing Mechanical Fuel Pump

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help Installing Mechanical Fuel Pump