Sponsored by:

pitted chrome bumpers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2005, 01:57 PM
another-user
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default pitted chrome bumpers?

hey, i was wondering if theres any way to fix some rust pitted chrome bumpers. mine arnt very bad, but it would be nice if there was some way to take care of it without haveing to replace the entire thing or re-chrome it.
Old 11-06-2005, 08:02 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think you can do much about the pitting without re-chroming. You might be able to painstakinly fill each pit with some silver epoxy to even things out but you will probably be better off re-chroming. A chrome bumper car is worth the investment.

Rick B.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:05 PM
another-user
Safety Car

i was afraid thats what was going to be said. ive got better things to put my money into right now, so ill have to wait for those.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:40 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If you want to try something very easy and cheap, rub the bumpers with some wadded up aluminum foil. I think you'll be suprised at the results. Try it on a small spot first to see what happens.

Rick B.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:46 AM
carl a
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thers was a vendor at vette fest that quoted me a price of 275 for both rear bumpers,,,show chrome! beford park illinois
Old 11-07-2005, 03:45 PM
James1970
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just had my C3's bumpers re-chromed. They came out nice except for the front 2 bumper support brackets. Apparently there were 2-3 small pits in each bracket where the chrome would not hold. These pits are already showing rust. I am also looking for a quick-fix to slow down further deterioration once I get the car back home.

Final question: when visiting my car at the paint shop, these small pits seem to "weep" water? I'm not sure if it's a chemical reaction to the re-chroming or condensation. Without hijacking this thread, does anyone have any insight regarding this?
Old 11-07-2005, 05:59 PM
another-user
Safety Car

just tried the foil bit. looks like my bumpers are too far gone for that trick, or i just didnt try it long enough. ill try again tomarrow afternoon when ive still got some lite, but i dont think its gonna work on mine.
Old 11-08-2005, 12:19 PM
71rdster
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Elbow grease and steel wool

When I sold my 68 vert, the bumpers that came with it looked pretty ratty. I had another set of bumpers for my 71 that had been rechromed, so I put them on. Recently I was trying to decide whether to ge the bumpers from the 68 rechromed (not cheap) or get some repro's. I took a little steel wool to them and they came out pretty nice. Not show quality, but definitely good for a driver. I will ultimately get them rechromed, making sure that any divots on the back sides are ground away before chroming.

Orville

Get notified of new replies

To pitted chrome bumpers?

Quick Reply: pitted chrome bumpers?