Sponsored by:

Replacing a power window motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 09:37 PM
NJAnthony
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing a power window motor

Greetings... my car was delivered to me today, and much to my dismay, my passenger window was rolled down. I hopped in, she started right up, but when I pressed the button to roll up the window, I noticed my battery gauge show that it was trying, but the window did not move and no noise was made. I tested my driver's side, and it worked properly.

A few months ago I noticed my window having trouble going up and down, and after 30 years, I just assume the motor is shot.

Is there anything special I need to know about replacing the motor? I see some window motors for r/h on a 75 on Ebay, but are there any special parts I need, or is it a direct swap?

Any tips?

Thanks!
Anthony

Last edited by AnthonyfromKY; 11-20-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:50 PM
surfshark
Pro

Someone will chime in here I'm sure on this...but i can't remember if the battery gauge will show any activity when the power window switch is bad. I replace the switch on my Mom's 'Vette back in '83 and I can't remember. It was an easy fix though if that's your problem.
Old 11-20-2005, 09:54 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Try closing the door while you are operating the switch. The window may just be stuck. The ammeter moving says the motor is drawing current. You may have to close the door with a little vigor to un-stick the motor...G/L
Old 11-20-2005, 09:58 PM
NJAnthony
Racer

Originally Posted by big_G
Try closing the door while you are operating the switch. The window may just be stuck. The ammeter moving says the motor is drawing current. You may have to close the door with a little vigor to un-stick the motor...G/L
I hoped this would work, but no luck I opened and closed the door a few times, tried with the door both open and closed. No sound or movement what-so-ever, but I did get a small dim on the interior lights, so it is drawing power.

Anthony
Old 11-20-2005, 10:28 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

If you're getting a current draw, I doubt very much that the motor is bad. More likely you just have a window/gears bound/stuck.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:06 AM
NJAnthony
Racer

Originally Posted by wcsinx
If you're getting a current draw, I doubt very much that the motor is bad. More likely you just have a window/gears bound/stuck.
Are these located with-in the window motor or is this something I can find by removing the door panel?

I am at work, or I would look into the hanes manual and check myself
Old 11-21-2005, 10:24 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AnthonyfromKY
Are these located with-in the window motor or is this something I can find by removing the door panel?
Both, if your C3 is like so many others, that white grease on the tracks has dried out into a sticky mess. You've got to pull everything out, then degrease and regrease. It's not a difficult job. It's just time consuming.

I am at work, or I would look into the hanes manual and check myself
It's not in there.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:41 AM
NJAnthony
Racer

Both, if your C3 is like so many others, that white grease on the tracks has dried out into a sticky mess. You've got to pull everything out, then degrease and regrease. It's not a difficult job. It's just time consuming.

It's not in there.
Well, I am glad I asked

Thanks for the help, I will check it out.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:02 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AnthonyfromKY
Well, I am glad I asked

Thanks for the help, I will check it out.
That's what the forums are for.

By the way, by "both" I meant that there's grease on the tracks and rollers and grease in the gear housing attached to the motor. And it was all totally dried up on my car.

I hit the tracks and rollers with degreaser, scrubbed and cussed at them then relubed with white lithium grease. Then I opened up the gear housing, wiped out all the old grease and repacked with wheel bearing grease. Now my windows fly up like you wouldn't believe.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:27 PM
NJAnthony
Racer

That's what the forums are for.

By the way, by "both" I meant that there's grease on the tracks and rollers and grease in the gear housing attached to the motor. And it was all totally dried up on my car.

I hit the tracks and rollers with degreaser, scrubbed and cussed at them then relubed with white lithium grease. Then I opened up the gear housing, wiped out all the old grease and repacked with wheel bearing grease. Now my windows fly up like you wouldn't believe.
Hopefully I will do the same. Any recommendations on degreaser or grease? Just standard stuff?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:24 PM
NJAnthony
Racer

Just wanted to say thanks for everyones help. I am glad I didn't waste my money on another window motor.

I took apart the door, removed the motor, greased the rails and gears, gave it a good knock or two to make sure it wasn't stuck, but it back together...

It worked!

Thanks 'vette forums, you saved me again!

Anthony

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a power window motor

Quick Reply: Replacing a power window motor