Sponsored by:

charging credit card before shipping?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:05 PM
collectskulls
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default charging credit card before shipping?

i thought i read some where companys wernt allowed to charge your card till the product was shipped?
just curouis cause i ordered a set of rims and phoned today to see
where they are seeing as my card was charged the day i phoned
and was told they are just being made ( which they didnt tell me when i ordered them ffs) and that they should be shipped by this monday.

so is this trues yes or no ?

thanks
Old 01-26-2006, 11:11 PM
big_G
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would bitch about that to them. The're eating into your 60 day protest time for credit card refund/charge-back. If they take 2 months to build/ship them they have your money and you are paying interest, and if there is a dispute after 60 days, your screwed!
P.S.....A small deposit for custom stuff is O.K.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:14 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Most legit companies will not hit your cc until the items ship. The vendor will check to make sure the card is valid. I did some contract work for a company several years ago that charged cc before they shipped. Gov shut them down. I think they have 5 business days to get the product to you. May have changed since then.

Just as side thought, they may hit the cc because it is a custom job as oppose the an "of the shelf" purchase.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:48 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Have not experienced that..but noticed on a very recent purchase a notation in my shipping info "funds captured"....guess the card was good...
Old 01-27-2006, 04:11 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Not sure what you mean. I've always had to pay for something before I get it.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:20 PM
1mollyd
Pro

Default Re: charging credit card before shipping?

Originally Posted by KALAWAY
Not sure what you mean. I've always had to pay for something before I get it.
I ordered a set of stainless steel brake lines from a well known company. I received them yesterday and the charge still has not been applied to my credit card.

Dave
Old 01-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Garys 68
Melting Slicks

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Had a similar situation on a radiator I order from a "well known company". I was charged the day I ordered, 6 weeks later, no radiator.
Canceled the order when I got my statement. BTW, I heard that radiator Co is out of business now, so that may have been a sign of problems.
Gary
Old 01-27-2006, 04:31 PM
MartyW
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the item in question is not a regular stock item or is a custom made item then they can charge your CC the moment that work is started on your item. If they are stating that your item is custom made and they started work on it, then I would expect them to have already charged your card. This is normal in the industry for custom made items.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:12 AM
panic
Team Owner

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

i've bought my brake uprated kits from a well known co. and they've charged my credit card the very first day (!!!) and good were sent after a month.....
Old 01-28-2006, 11:01 AM
jdp6000
Melting Slicks

I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't get the goods you can always have the payment reversed. Thats the nice thing about using a credit card. Basically you call the card company and quote "I did not receive the goods or services as promised".

As someone pointed out they technically are not suppose to charge until the item is shipped. In situations where it is a custom order they may.

Jim
Old 01-28-2006, 04:46 PM
Matt O
Racer

Originally Posted by jdp6000
I wouldn't worry about it. If you don't get the goods you can always have the payment reversed. Thats the nice thing about using a credit card. Basically you call the card company and quote "I did not receive the goods or services as promised".

As someone pointed out they technically are not suppose to charge until the item is shipped. In situations where it is a custom order they may.

Jim
You may want to check with your CC company, some cards only give 30 days to dispute a charge...I would expect to pay a max of 25% of a special order item and the remainder when item is shipped....
Old 01-28-2006, 07:24 PM
waterplay
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check this out. I gave up and got SS from Summit.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...t&forum_id=119
Old 02-01-2006, 10:22 AM
Jerry Curl
Burning Brakes

We use PayPal on our our t-shirt site because it was cheaper than going directly with credit cards. PayPal automatically charges the buyer. There isnt anything that can be done about it, as that is how the system works. So it may be something similar in your case if you ordered online.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:47 PM
Sprzout
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by vetteman1978
Most legit companies will not hit your cc until the items ship. The vendor will check to make sure the card is valid. I did some contract work for a company several years ago that charged cc before they shipped. Gov shut them down. I think they have 5 business days to get the product to you. May have changed since then.

Just as side thought, they may hit the cc because it is a custom job as oppose the an "of the shelf" purchase.
Just as an aside: some companies will hit your credit card with a small charge initially when a purchase is made (usually for the amount of $1.00), to verify the card is valid. They will then turn around and charge the remaining balance of your order when the product ships.

I don't have a problem with this, exactly, except that some banks that use credit/debit charge for a certain number of transactions.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:53 PM
collectskulls
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

well they were suppost to ship today but on a side note since i paid for them they increased ther price by $73/ rim so maybe a good thing they did charge me right away lol
Old 02-02-2006, 08:46 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the word 'shipped' needs to be defined. Very few if any merchant(s) will charge you credit card after the item shipped. They typically put the charge on the card after processing the order and prior to shipping. If the item is on back order, then they should only charge the card for the items in stock.

There are lots of things that are different today than 20 years ago. The Paypal thing was a good example. Another might be where a vendor stocks most of their items, but drop ships other items from another vendor or manufacture. Custom made items normally require a non-refundable deposit. A true one-of-a-kind item is usally paid for prior to manufacture whether it takes a day to make or several months.

Get notified of new replies

To charging credit card before shipping?

Quick Reply: charging credit card before shipping?