Sponsored by:

C3 Aerodynamics: Ventilation & Induction Airflow

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 01:44 AM
JPhil
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rich,
I was just settin' out in the garage lookin' at the car, thinkin'.... I don't know that a manometer would work under the conditions we could test with. Yes it measures pressure differential, but it would need to be a static atmosphere (I'm thinking of the liquid filled style I used to use in HVAC work). Seems to me that in the "violent" atmosphere surrounding a vehicle in motion, the readings would not have much consistancy or integrity. (And probably just blow the liqiud all over the cabin.) If the orifice was pointed into the airstream it would give a high reading, and if perpendicular or away from the airstream, a low reading due to air velocity. Also you would have to have readings from a neutral area and an area outside the "teardrop" to get any true differentials. By the time I was done imagining all this, my car looked like a porcupine with tubes sticking up and out from flush to 18" high with little breather-type air filters on them.....Even inside the engine bay the turbulance would overwhelm the readings...I think the yarn trick (or smoke bombs) gives us as much information as we can hope to get in field experiments.
That, books, and the combined brain power of the almighty Corvette Forum.

John
Old 06-18-2006, 04:15 AM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Magnehelic is the trade name for the frictionless gauge movement of Dwyer pressure gauges. They are widely used form scuba gear to indicators for air filter condition.

They are just pressure gauges, perfect for stuff like setting up carb air flow or measuring cowl induction pressure
Old 06-18-2006, 04:46 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

good read
Old 06-18-2006, 09:48 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JPhil
Rich,
I was just settin' out in the garage lookin' at the car, thinkin'.... I don't know that a manometer would work under the conditions we could test with. Yes it measures pressure differential, but it would need to be a static atmosphere (I'm thinking of the liquid filled style I used to use in HVAC work). Seems to me that in the "violent" atmosphere surrounding a vehicle in motion, the readings would not have much consistancy or integrity. (And probably just blow the liqiud all over the cabin.) If the orifice was pointed into the airstream it would give a high reading, and if perpendicular or away from the airstream, a low reading due to air velocity. Also you would have to have readings from a neutral area and an area outside the "teardrop" to get any true differentials. By the time I was done imagining all this, my car looked like a porcupine with tubes sticking up and out from flush to 18" high with little breather-type air filters on them.....Even inside the engine bay the turbulance would overwhelm the readings...I think the yarn trick (or smoke bombs) gives us as much information as we can hope to get in field experiments.
That, books, and the combined brain power of the almighty Corvette Forum.

John
The Dwyer gauges cost approx $300...I'm curious now how GM undertook the issue with the Grand Sports back when they added those hood vents...think they may have calculated air flow (area) of intake(grill)factoring in speed of vette and sized hood openings sufficient to exhaust/relieve pressure in the engine compartment..(I understand they did several hood modications trying to solve this.)..and I assume field tests with those vettes....this means testing at above 100 mph....
When I used to own a new 69 Roadrunner,the hood would "ripple" at 110 mph...I always attributed it to the thin metal of the hood...now I'm thinking it was pressure due to speed...at least our vettes have functional side vents to relieve some of this pressure..
John..think of your knowledge of ventilation...if you have a fan supplying air,you must also exhaust the air to maintain the exchange,otherwise you create to much positive pressure...I think..
Rich

Last edited by rihwoods; 06-18-2006 at 09:52 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:21 AM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Why wouldn't the side vents do the same thing as the cowl vents? Seem like the same logic applys there to. Do you think the side vents start vacuuming in air as speeds above 70 mph? Maybe the air moving past the wheel wells causes a disturbance of air flow and the vents can then exhaust air.

Here is another question. Do you think removing those rubber splash guard over the a-arms would releave pressure? Mine seem to always be pushed in.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:34 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Budman78
Why wouldn't the side vents do the same thing as the cowl vents? Seem like the same logic applys there to. Do you think the side vents start vacuuming in air as speeds above 70 mph? Maybe the air moving past the wheel wells causes a disturbance of air flow and the vents can then exhaust air.

Here is another question. Do you think removing those rubber splash guard over the a-arms would releave pressure? Mine seem to always be pushed in.
There is a high pressure area near bottom of windshield...not sure that condition exists at side vents...if anything,the side vents are in the main airflow (inside)past wheels...think if those vents "vacuumed",we would have a lot more brake dust on the front wheels...think my "yarn" test at side vents showed there is no vacuum there...(see second test pics above..)
All I know is those splash guards just lie there...mine are folded back..
Rich

Last edited by rihwoods; 06-20-2006 at 01:03 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:41 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Good Discussion.
I've been thinking and experimenting on this topic for several years with my 71 SB vert.
I did the tuft test up to 80 with a BB hood and did not see the negative pressure at the base of the windshield shown above. maybe the raised portion of the L-88 hood enahnces this negative pressure? So I decided to try to pick up cold air from the front of the radiator ala C4,C5,C6.
Late C3s did this with a goofy looking combination of plastic ducts and hoses feeding a round air cleaner. So, GM thought it was a good idea.
For my tpi 383, I'm fabbing up a fiberglass air box that looks like a large dust pan. The lip extends over the top of the radiator fame and the back mounts on the throttle body with the ar cleaner inside the scoop. With a BB hood, there is plenty of room to capture enough cold air coming up over the face of the radiator to satisfy the 383. I've tried a prototype and it works great. Remember, a 10 degree drop in inlet air temp is worth 1% increase in HP. Here in Texas in August, the temp diff is easily 100 degrees so that means a 10% increase in HP. In my case that's almost 40 HP! It's even more in what we call winter.
RE: air pressures and engine bay temps. In an effort to control engine bay temps (383, coated headers), I relocated everything that was blocking the side vents and added open louvers to the top of the BB hood ala the false louvers on the 57 Vette. I verified with remote sensing thermometer that all these vents are doing their job.
I looked at opening up the false vents on the BB hood but they are in front of the radiator and, while they would release some lifting pressure at very high speed, the opening at this location would also reduce whatever ram air pressure I have forcing air into my scoop.
Up front, I am using a modifed Pace Car spoiler. I don't care for the side extensions that push air around the front tires (they just don't look right on a chrome bumper C3) so I cut them off and am using the center portion only. I think this scoops up the air and directs it up the bottom feed air inlets. Hard to verify this.
I also have removed the front license plate to get more air to the radiator front in hopes of increasing ram air pressure to the scoop.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:00 AM
rihwoods
Race Director

The thermometer is a good idea...(wonder if I can shoot my Raytek mini temp gun thru the windshield to get temps at cowl opening..???) hee hee..think I'll just tape a thermometer just inside to see what I get...

Last edited by rihwoods; 06-18-2006 at 11:02 AM.
Old 06-18-2006, 12:42 PM
JPhil
Burning Brakes

In typical forced air HVAC systems, you figure twice the area for return air as for supply air. If you need 100 square inches of duct for adequate supply (pressurized) air flow, then you want 200 square inches for adequate return (non- or low-pressure) air flow to keep a good balance and efficiency of the system. Our "supply" air is the pressured up engine bay, the "return" would be our vents & other openings to relieve the pressure. Obviously we'll never get 200%, but on the other hand we're not dealing with a closed recirculating system either.
The side vents, as extraction vents, suck air by the principle of the venturi. If you were to place an obstruction immediatly behind the side vents(outside,on the exterior of the car), at a certain speed the pressure differential would overcome the venturi effect and it would reverse flow, just as the cowl scoop does. If your cowl scoop is open to the engine bay, as opposed to having a sealed plenum to the carb intake, it does have to overcome engine bay pressure before it will start sucking in. With adequate exhaust vents from bay, this bay pressure is reduced sooner, thus cowl induction begins at lower speeds.
Also, it is not as critical that there be a clear unobstructed flow path inside the side vents: we are drawing random, undircted air to an orifice via suction as opposed to pressure. An obstruction in pressurized air will destroy flow, but not so much in an open suction flow. Picture your bathtub: If you hold your hand under the spout as it's filling, you are obstructing the pressurized flow and it makes a mess. If you put your hand in front of the drain (not sealing it), it doesn't make much difference to the flow down the drain, it just goes around your hand and still drains at the same rate.
But, yes, I too want to delete the dryer and canister to open up that area and further reduce underhood clutter.
(Let me interject here, I am theorizing and thinking out loud through all this. I am no engineer, I'm just trying to use experience, book learning, discussion and what seems to me to be common sense to understand and use this. If anyone thinks I'm making a mistake somewhere, please speak up!)
Hmmmm #2....Got a friend who's into scuba diving...wonder if he's got a Dwyer guage he'd let me borrow.....

John

Last edited by JPhil; 06-18-2006 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 12:39 AM
jr9170
Race Director

Received 1,069 Likes on 755 Posts

Great stuff Rich,you da man... ....BTW Liverpool how is the car coming,any update pics?
Old 06-20-2006, 03:58 PM
Bee Jay
Safety Car

Received 543 Likes on 198 Posts

I looked at the fender liners last night. No need to remove them. I can just cut a vent in the rear of them, and then the airflow has a straight shot from the wheel wells to the side vents. If you look into the side vents from the rear of the car, you are looking directly at the back of the fender liners.
Old 06-20-2006, 04:18 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by Bee Jay
I looked at the fender liners last night. No need to remove them. I can just cut a vent in the rear of them, and then the airflow has a straight shot from the wheel wells to the side vents. If you look into the side vents from the rear of the car, you are looking directly at the back of the fender liners.
Think I'll duplicate the yarn test on the 78...just curious,as there is a diiference at side vents and no cowl opening on the 78 stock hood...also,the 78 has a fender extension the 69 does not...

Also want to check if yarn behaves same at cowl on 78....think it will...

Last edited by rihwoods; 06-20-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2006, 05:23 PM
davidm_comp
Racer

Originally Posted by Budman78
When I bought my car the a-arm shields/flaps were missing, after I replaced them my under hood temps increased. I thought the very same thing....if my fan is pushing all this hot air in, where does it all go. I might have to go take a cruise later on tonight for 1/2 hour on the freeway with flaps in-place, and cruise home with no flaps. Maybe I will mount a thermometer under the hood with a camera pointed at it.
Old 06-21-2006, 01:16 AM
BLACKHORSEVET
Racer

Originally Posted by flynhi
Good Discussion.
I've been thinking and experimenting on this topic for several years with my 71 SB vert.
I did the tuft test up to 80 with a BB hood and did not see the negative pressure at the base of the windshield shown above. maybe the raised portion of the L-88 hood enahnces this negative pressure? So I decided to try to pick up cold air from the front of the radiator ala C4,C5,C6.
Late C3s did this with a goofy looking combination of plastic ducts and hoses feeding a round air cleaner. So, GM thought it was a good idea.
For my tpi 383, I'm fabbing up a fiberglass air box that looks like a large dust pan. The lip extends over the top of the radiator fame and the back mounts on the throttle body with the ar cleaner inside the scoop. With a BB hood, there is plenty of room to capture enough cold air coming up over the face of the radiator to satisfy the 383. I've tried a prototype and it works great. Remember, a 10 degree drop in inlet air temp is worth 1% increase in HP. Here in Texas in August, the temp diff is easily 100 degrees so that means a 10% increase in HP. In my case that's almost 40 HP! It's even more in what we call winter.
RE: air pressures and engine bay temps. In an effort to control engine bay temps (383, coated headers), I relocated everything that was blocking the side vents and added open louvers to the top of the BB hood ala the false louvers on the 57 Vette. I verified with remote sensing thermometer that all these vents are doing their job.
I looked at opening up the false vents on the BB hood but they are in front of the radiator and, while they would release some lifting pressure at very high speed, the opening at this location would also reduce whatever ram air pressure I have forcing air into my scoop.
Up front, I am using a modifed Pace Car spoiler. I don't care for the side extensions that push air around the front tires (they just don't look right on a chrome bumper C3) so I cut them off and am using the center portion only. I think this scoops up the air and directs it up the bottom feed air inlets. Hard to verify this.
I also have removed the front license plate to get more air to the radiator front in hopes of increasing ram air pressure to the scoop.
Flynhi,
I was wondering what type pace car spoiler you are using.Is it the one piece fiberglass,or the three piece urethane?I also don't care much for the side tire sections.
Old 06-21-2006, 06:34 AM
comp
Team Owner

Originally Posted by flynhi
Good Discussion.
got any pic's ???
Old 06-21-2006, 10:00 AM
flynhi
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

BlackHorse:
I'm using a single piece Pace Car spoiler set just above curb height.

Comp,
I'm working on several AC related things right now. I'll try to post some pics in a couple of weeks when I finish.
W.
Old 06-21-2006, 09:11 PM
1969Vette383
Burning Brakes

This is all getting very interesting to me. I'm especially interested in the results of the A-arm flap tests. Mine are bad and in need of replacing, but if it turns out that the pros of having them missing outweigh the cons, I'll just remove mine and leave them out. I imagine they're there more for keeping rain/sleet/water/et cetera out of greased areas; though I could be wrong about that.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 Aerodynamics: Ventilation & Induction Airflow

Old 06-21-2006, 10:28 PM
MCMLXIX
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Who runs a stock lower baffle? The sheetmetal that fills in between the radiator support and front crossmember at the bottom of the car. It was missing on my 69 and I have never actualy seen one on a vette. Other than making it harder to work on does it have a positive or negative affect on front end lift or cooling? Any one have actual experience running with and without a lower baffle?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:45 PM
rihwoods
Race Director

Originally Posted by MCMLXIX
Who runs a stock lower baffle? The sheetmetal that fills in between the radiator support and front crossmember at the bottom of the car. It was missing on my 69 and I have never actualy seen one on a vette. Other than making it harder to work on does it have a positive or negative affect on front end lift or cooling? Any one have actual experience running with and without a lower baffle?
Mine is there...I'd say it does not have a negative effect..but that is my experience...and my flaps are installed...no cooling issues...complete stock system....

The main issue with C3's is the fact that hoods have less free area over engines compared to other Chevorlet's so this means hotter air under the hoods of the C3 Corvettes...
Old 06-21-2006, 10:53 PM
84rzv500r
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If someone can give me a 3d solid model or even 2d slices of the Corvette body I can run simulations in FIDAP (A Computational Fluid Dynamics Program) and get some nice contour plots of pressure and vector plots of flow at whatever speed and angle of incidence to the body you like...

Where it would get a bit sticky is the underside of the car to the ground.

I Just finished building a 256 processor Simulation System...

Just a thought

Quick Reply: C3 Aerodynamics: Ventilation & Induction Airflow