Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on repairing headlights (74)

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 06:10 PM
wxw116
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on repairing headlights (74)

Hey guys,

I was tinkering with the headlamps which have been giving me trouble since I got the car. When I start the car, and pull the lights on, the right lamp goes up no problem, but the left lamp (I found out after inspection) was catching on the body (and chipping the paint in the process) right at the top of the "socket" that the light sits in. Neither one of them, once up, wants to go down when I turn them off. Eventually the right one will go down (overnight), but I need to push on the left one to get it down.

Secondarily, I noticed when I was underneath that there is a little 2 wire switch/clip that looks like it bolts to the bottom of the headlight assembly. Both sides look like that clip is damaged and broken off, leaving it there to hang down from the 2 wires.

Any idea what's up?
Old 07-12-2006, 08:40 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

http://www.corvette-101.com/

go to vacuum troubles on the left hand column
Old 07-13-2006, 03:40 AM
wxw116
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hmm

Thanks for the info Bob, I learned some stuff...just not what I was actually looking for.

I didn't see the piece I described in my original post talked about at all on that site, though like I said I did learn where all the vaccuum stuff was located/how it worked, so thanks.

Any idea on those 2 broken, hanging switches?
Old 07-13-2006, 08:39 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by wxw116
...Any idea on those 2 broken, hanging switches?
Check the '74 assembly instruction manual; if the switches are stock, they'll be in the AIM. I can't recall having seen the switches on my '74, but that doesn't mean they weren't there.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:48 AM
76vette1
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I sunk over $400 into the headlight vacuum system on my 76, mainly due to lousy repro vacuum valves. I don't like the way they work, so I am going electric.

On my 76, the switches are headlight door open indicator switches. I don't see the need for them, so I haven't fixed them.
Old 07-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The switches are connected to the headlight warning light on the dashboard. If the headlights are turned on electrically and don't lock into position, the warning light stays on. The switches have a plastic stud that attaches to the end of a piece of the headlight mechanism. This stud breaks easily, which is probably why yours are hanging down by the wires. It's not hurting anything to run it like this, but the headlight warning lamp won't go out.

Edit: beaten to the answer by 1 minute!
Old 07-13-2006, 09:32 AM
audiec
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The headlight supports are kind of "U" shaped and made of pot metal. They break with the slightest stress. More than likely your light is hitting the body because of the broken support.

My switches are also broken and they want quite a bit for replacements, so I also left them hanging.

Doc Rebuild's catalog has lots of good diagrams, but you have to make a purchase to get a catalog...

http://docrebuild.com/dr-r-web/aaa-home.html

Audie
Old 07-13-2006, 10:18 AM
Vette Gator
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by audiec
The headlight supports are kind of "U" shaped and made of pot metal. They break with the slightest stress. More than likely your light is hitting the body because of the broken support.
This is definitely a possibility, but also check to be sure that the metal bar glued to the top of the nose just in front of the hood hasn't come loose.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on repairing headlights (74)

Quick Reply: Question on repairing headlights (74)