Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antique tags/insurance coverage ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2006, 09:05 AM
The Money Pit
Melting Slicks

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Antique tags/insurance coverage ?

I recently got notice from the DMV that I had a lapse of coverage on several of my vehicles,(Caused by a billing mistake on the insurance companies side)and it got me wondering how the Antique tag thing is supposed to work.According to the DMV if a vehicle is registered,and the insurance lapses,you're supposed to turn in the plates.

So if you drive the antique once a week(In theory),and for only part of the year,do you still have to insure the car year round?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:30 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Sounds like if you want to keep tags on a vehicle, it has to be insured.
Same here in Florida.
If you have no tags, insurance is not required.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:36 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would say call DVM, but you'll probaby get different answers from different people. Dropping coverage in my case may raise my overall premium. I have 2 cars, the Vette and an Acura. The cost for 6 months for the vette is $38. I am also getting a $60 multicar discount for the Acura. It seems to me that State Farm is charging me $22 less to have 2 cars insured rather than 1.
Yes, I know it doesn't sound right.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:00 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

My TA, busa and house are through State Farm. My vette I have antique/classic car insurance(Axis Insurance is the broker) and its registered as an antique so I don't have to get it inspected or licensed. I just re-new my antique tags every two years for $150. On my insurance, my car is fully covered for $19k and it cost me $165 per year. The catch is that I can only drive it 2500 miles a year but....I don't worry about it, they are not going to check it, hell I have already put 1k miles on it 4 months.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:10 AM
mandm1200
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ajrothm
The catch is that I can only drive it 2500 miles a year but....I don't worry about it, they are not going to check it, hell I have already put 1k miles on it 4 months.

Chances are they are only going to check it when a claim is submitted. Then they may deny the claim. They wind up being the winner because they collected $165 a year for a car that they don't legally have to pay a claim on.
Old 08-04-2006, 10:26 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

Ya but ironically, they didn't even ask for an odometer reading. LOL Maybe I will get me an extra speedo and keep it in my desk, I will just roll the odometer a couple thou each year and take pics if it and send it to them if they ask.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:10 AM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Money Pit
I recently got notice from the DMV that I had a lapse of coverage on several of my vehicles,(Caused by a billing mistake on the insurance companies side)and it got me wondering how the Antique tag thing is supposed to work.According to the DMV if a vehicle is registered,and the insurance lapses,you're supposed to turn in the plates.

So if you drive the antique once a week(In theory),and for only part of the year,do you still have to insure the car year round?
In PA you pretty much own the Antique tags. You can take them off the car when it is sold and the put it on a car you buy later on. As for insuring the car year round, some insurance companies will let you put your insurance into a hibernation mode for several months a year. So technically you are insured, but not paying for it. I have mine set for December to February. Saves a little money, but you can't drive the car even it there is a nice day during those months.
Old 08-05-2006, 02:22 PM
clive
Racer

If you drop coverage at all, even for a brief period (PA winters are long) you have to send the plate back to Penndot. The insurance company notifies immediately (I have seized many a plate for that reason). It becomes a dead plate with a type F (insurance cancellation). I have antique plates and full coverage all year at $235 full cover with Erie.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:05 AM
kb2fzq
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe in New York, you can drop insurance turn in plates at DMV for them to hold and get them back in the spring once you're insured again..re-registering every year is expensive tho...just my 2 cents...
Old 08-06-2006, 08:42 AM
cedars54
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In years past, when I've tried to set a vehicle for the winter and remove the insurance, my insurance company has kept just the fire & theft on the car and not informed the DMV that the insurance was cancelled. Couldn't drive it because of no liability insurance but didn't have to go thru the DMV hassle. Don't know if your insurer does that.

Get notified of new replies

To Antique tags/insurance coverage ?

Quick Reply: Antique tags/insurance coverage ?