Sponsored by:

How Much Should I Pay . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 09:07 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How Much Should I Pay . . .

for change-out of all six universal joints on a '75? I already have the joints. So how much for labor?
Old 08-10-2006, 09:21 PM
69camfrk
Le Mans Master

Location: GA "When I grow up, I'm gonna get a Trans Am and run from the cops". Direct quote from my 4yo son.

Are you going to pull the drive and half shafts yourself? If you have them out, most shops around here charge $10 per joint. If you don't have the tools to change them definitely worth the money. If they are all in the car, I would have no idea.
Old 08-10-2006, 10:52 PM
KALAWAY
Drifting

Originally Posted by 69camfrk
Are you going to pull the drive and half shafts yourself? If you have them out, most shops around here charge $10 per joint. If you don't have the tools to change them definitely worth the money. If they are all in the car, I would have no idea.
I'll be taking the car to them; not removing anything. Don't have the tools to do the job.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:21 PM
Mark PittPayne
Instructor

This should give you a ballpark figure if the transmission shop knows their vettes. I had the 4 halfshaft joints done this spring. Cost me $285 (Cdn) including the price of the U-Joints. Their parts price on the Spicer U-joints was $49 (Cdn) each. Obviously less in US dollars and factor in the 2 extras you are doing.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:40 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by KALAWAY
for change-out of all six universal joints on a '75? I already have the joints. So how much for labor?
Prices are going to vary across the country. Take your car to a couple or three places in your area and get estimates. Go with the lowest estimate or the place you feel will do the best work.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:46 AM
skydaddy
Burning Brakes

usually those guys like to put their own u-joints in - just in case there is something bad with yours and they have to warranty something. The shop that I use here in MS did mine for $45 a shaft ($135 total) but I took them the shafts and they supplied the bearings. I think they told me that it would run $400 or so if they had to remove them and re-install.

Get notified of new replies

To How Much Should I Pay . . .

Quick Reply: How Much Should I Pay . . .