Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ceramic tile for Garage Floor??

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 08:39 PM
Muddywaters
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a Tile Contractor...and I would not install tile in my garage...well, a working garage anyway. It will chip dropping something as small as a 3/8 inch rachet on it...if, it hits just right. Also, if I was gonna install tile I would first thinset a slip sheet under it. <~~~ 30 mil. membrain. Most garage slabs have cracks...the membraine will prevent older or new cracks from cracking the tile or grout. Muddy
Old 09-27-2006, 08:44 PM
John 65
Le Mans Master

Received 403 Likes on 326 Posts

I worked for a ceramic tile contractor for over 20 years and have the knees to prove it. Unless you are going to ONLY park on it, as nice as it looks, it just isnt the best choice. My advice is to purchase extras, cause lots of them become discontiued and unavailble.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:52 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,494 Likes on 774 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

One of the biggest risks of tile, even inside is dropping heavy objects on it. In a working garage you drop tools, supplies, etc. and it can crack it. As the post said above, I would buy an extra box for repairs. One of the hottest things I have seen is quartz tile which is actually a stone tile, not fired. Griot's Garage sells it. Unfotunately it is about the most expensive solution. I have a three car garage I it would be about $8k to do it.
Old 09-28-2006, 07:13 PM
JPhil
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy cow. Ceramic tile on the garage floor. If you have spent all the money you can on every thing else that could possibly be more important than that, like maybe your car or your family or helping some charity, and you still have $$$$$ just burning holes in your pocket, why don't you at least buy some American Eagles or Krugerands. At least then when the poop hits the fan you'll have something a little more important and useful than a fancy-a$$ garage floor.

Sorry, but I just don't get it.

John

( I keep telling myself not to even click on posts like this, and I always regret it when I do. )

Quick Reply: Ceramic tile for Garage Floor??