Sponsored by:

'82 Dash Lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 01:52 PM
memphisC3
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '82 Dash Lights

I have some dash lights out and can get to all of them except those behind the speedometer! How can i remove the speedo needle and trip reset to remove the speedo face and access the bulbs? Also, should the a/c controls be lighted? mine arent and wonder if there is a bulb out there as well.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Mikes*Corvettes
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by memphisC3
I have some dash lights out and can get to all of them except those behind the speedometer! How can i remove the speedo needle and trip reset to remove the speedo face and access the bulbs? Also, should the a/c controls be lighted? mine arent and wonder if there is a bulb out there as well.
the bulbs are changed from behind the instrument cluster,no need to remove needle and trip.The way i did it was to remove the steering wheel.Then undo the 4 screws (2 each side of cluster) .under the top of the cluster is 3 rows 2 screws remove these also.Then undo the panel just under the steering colum under there you will find 2 more nuts remove these also and the instrument cluster pulls out you might need to undo the speedo cable from the speedo if its tight.once cluster is out change bulbs be careful not to damage the printed circuit board.
The ac is lit by the bulb which is just above the 2 sqaure vents in the middle of the dash.
Old 11-22-2006, 05:07 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First disconnect the battery.

It's easier to just let the column sag a bit, theres 2 screws under there when you remove the lower dash section that has the headlight door override switch on it and the vent duct which just pulls out with a bit of force.

Getting access to the speedo drive cable is a bit fiddly, watch out for the wire mess GM made on these late model c3's. You have to feel for the clip on the back, it's a spring clip, you just push the end towards the speedo back and gently pull the drive cable out

also watch out for the VSS mounted on the back of the speedo, do not break it off or damage the yellow module in the harness.

Get notified of new replies

To '82 Dash Lights

Quick Reply: '82 Dash Lights