Floor Jack Drops On Its Own

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 07:23 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by VettePower
Does this rig have some kind of locks once you raise it up? Without locks, I would be pretty scared to get under it.

Yes it does have a safety lock...........
Old 01-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Matt O
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a harbor freight nearby check out their aluminum jacks. Seem to be well made and @ a good price.I bought one and like it....
Old 01-03-2007, 09:37 PM
parkerracing
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Sears hasn't been the same since KMart bought them. They accused me of being a contractor and therefore voiding my warentee (and I've been buying Craftsman tool since 1973). Home Depo no better, they refered me to Husky's website for warentee. And I'd never buy anything I was going to get under from Horrible Freight.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:45 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

I think there's a message above that if your jack is slipping, don't use it. Instead of slippling, it could suddenly just transition to collapsing.

.....I hate to be a stuck record, if anyone has read my previous "jack" posts. Threre's another important jack performance feature to be concerned about. How controllable is it? My steel Craftsman floor jacks allow me to drop and raise loads by probably 1/16 inch increments. This is extremely important when instaliing the rear end differential and the transmission. I have an aluminum Craftsman floor jack, and although it was expensive and it's very light, it doesn't have the controllability. When I try to get a tiny drop on this jack, it just seems to collapse in a big increment.

As for jacking controllability, I iike the story I was told about qualifying for the job of operating the crane that hoists the Space Shuttle from a horizontal position to a vertical mounting position the main tank. An egg is placed on the floor. The crane operator has to drop the attaching hook down and touch the egg without breaking it. So basically, if you've got a hydraulic mechanism that can lift a lot of weight, for it to be useful you have to be able to control it in very small dimensional increments.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 PM
funymuny
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 70BBvert
Had a similar problem with one a few years ago. No adjustments, either replace the piston or the entire jack. Was cheaper to buy a new one

Jim
Like you're saying.......get a new one, a nice one but don't take chances here. Not worth it in my book.https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s/thumbsup.gif

Mark
Old 01-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Wuttin
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Z87L8
Steve,
call Crestons on Flock road.
get a price to repair , it may be a lot cheaper than you think.
You rock! Thanks for lookin' over my shoulder...

General consensus seems to be the Sears jacks are not so good and I'm better off buying a decent jack with good control features. I never liked the way the Sears unit comes down...kind of jerky and not as smooth as I would have hoped. Time to shop!

Last edited by Wuttin; 01-03-2007 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 03:29 AM
luv2golf
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, there is a lot of bashing here. so who can tell me a good jack to purchase. I'm about to lower my C6 about an inch and want something i can lift her about 2'

Sorry, just noticed I'm on the C3 forum, but I think the info still applies....
Old 01-04-2007, 09:11 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Originally Posted by luv2golf
ok, there is a lot of bashing here. so who can tell me a good jack to purchase. I'm about to lower my C6 about an inch and want something i can lift her about 2'

Sorry, just noticed I'm on the C3 forum, but I think the info still applies....
Old 01-04-2007, 11:16 AM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

Where I'm from a jack that slips is called a boat mooring anchor.... dump it!!! They aren't that expensive considering the consequences.

My .02...

kdlp
Old 01-04-2007, 06:08 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

[QUOTE=parkerracing;1558364621]Sears hasn't been the same since KMart bought them. /QUOTE]
...ahaa. That explains it. The local Sears store that I've gone to for tools, etc, has really gone down hill over the last year.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:31 PM
1Z87L8
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

steve
do you have a SAMs card? they had a nice michelin brand jack and stands a while back.
we were talking about it here on the forum a couple of months ago.
i paid $80 including tax and the jack stands are 24" if i remember right.

you are welcome to come by saturday and check it out if you want
and if you dont have a Sams card i can ride up with you and get you through the door to look around.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:56 AM
Wuttin
Drifting

Originally Posted by 1Z87L8
steve
do you have a SAMs card? they had a nice michelin brand jack and stands a while back.
we were talking about it here on the forum a couple of months ago.
i paid $80 including tax and the jack stands are 24" if i remember right.

you are welcome to come by saturday and check it out if you want
and if you dont have a Sams card i can ride up with you and get you through the door to look around.
Thanks Rich! I'll drop you a line if I have some time. Sounds like a good plan...

Quick Reply: Floor Jack Drops On Its Own