Today at the local part store

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 10:39 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Default Today at the local part store

Went to the local part store and bought some duct tape for the reflectix and the guys at the counter give me this look.....hmmm, guess I should have gone to WallyMart instead, I'm sure they think I'm going to do some bubba repair
Old 01-07-2007, 11:04 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 549 Likes on 376 Posts

When the upper management of the local part stores, Autozone, Kragen, ...etc, develop their marketing strategy, they don't target people who may be spending $10,000 and up a year on car parts for a restoration project,...and a car that is not going to be a daily driver. Taking a risk of offending the Politically Correct protocols, I think that the local parts stores are mostly marketing to people in the lower income groups that just want something cheap to get their daily driver back on the road. .....so right, when you bought your duct tape they probably thought it was a bubba repair. I buy a fair amount of stuff from the local part stores, and I inwardly smile when they think I'm buying stuff to keep a downer car back on the road, when in fact it's a much more sophisticated project.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:05 PM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

use the foil type duct tape it will work better
Old 01-07-2007, 11:35 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I installed my Reflectix last week and didn't need any tape at all. It lays down very well with the 3M carpet adhesive.
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...IB:en%26sa%3DN
You can buy it at Advance auto also.

Last edited by sperkins; 01-07-2007 at 11:39 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:20 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Sperkins...Are you going to put the foil on your tranny tunnel? There is a lot of heat generated there. I would surely recommend doing so while you got the interior out. [Just a suggestion.]
Old 01-08-2007, 12:20 AM
gator79
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

here is my install on the firewall, you do not need any tape, but the foil tape completes the foil barrier ( no gaps where 2 pieces meet) reflectix actually makes some foil tape but I found it was very thin so I bought hvac foil tape. I held mine in place with 3M spray adhesive. I am not sure how much difference it would make without the tape, but I have a big block with headers so every little bit should help.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:45 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
Sperkins...Are you going to put the foil on your tranny tunnel? There is a lot of heat generated there. I would surely recommend doing so while you got the interior out. [Just a suggestion.]
Yep. I got the center console out Friday and plan to do it also. I probably won't need too much though with the new side pipes.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:59 AM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by sperkins
I installed my Reflectix last week and didn't need any tape at all. It lays down very well with the 3M carpet adhesive.

Wow.... that's a clean install

I have a few 1/2" wide gaps, compared to yours mine looks like $hiit - I guess it'll all be fine once the carpet is installed
Old 01-08-2007, 03:59 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

well.... I guess I could have bought my duct tape here (and some WD40)

Old 01-08-2007, 06:09 PM
Gordonm
Race Director

Received 754 Likes on 464 Posts

How much does Reflectix weigh for doing the Vette. I have never even picked this stuff up. I don't want to add a lot of weight but it looks pretty lite.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:17 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,715 Likes on 2,273 Posts

Reflectix is very light. The 100 sq. ft. roll only weighs about 3 pounds. It is basically very heavy duty bubble pack with foil on both sides. So most of the volume is air. The air barrier is how this stuff insulates heat so well. It did wonders for mine.
Old 01-08-2007, 06:25 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 358 Likes on 250 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Originally Posted by Gordonm
How much does Reflectix weigh for doing the Vette. I have never even picked this stuff up. I don't want to add a lot of weight but it looks pretty lite.

Those foil WS sunshades are made from reflectix or something very simular. Zero weight.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:53 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MYBAD79
Wow.... that's a clean install

I have a few 1/2" wide gaps, compared to yours mine looks like $hiit - I guess it'll all be fine once the carpet is installed
Thanks man.
What you didn't see was my bubba work below the Reflectix. The fiberglass on the floor pans had been repaired so many times, that I really had no choice but to fabricate new ones from stainless steel. I used pretty thick stuff and it took a lot of time to make. Lots of work, but definately worth it from a safety standpoint. I don't really want to pull a Fred Flinstone going down the highway.

Old 01-08-2007, 09:00 PM
MYBAD79
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by sperkins
Thanks man.
What you didn't see was my bubba work below the Reflectix. The fiberglass on the floor pans had been repaired so many times, that I really had no choice but to fabricate new ones from stainless steel. I used pretty thick stuff and it took a lot of time to make. Lots of work, but definately worth it from a safety standpoint. I don't really want to pull a Fred Flinstone going down the highway.
Stainless ? That's not easy to bend

I added at least 1qt fiberglass resin and mat on each side. I din't really have a rust problem but I thought it was a good idea to use zinc primer on the clean floor panels and then glass all the seams all the way around... Did you drill a few drain holes ?

The carpet is going to hide all that... don't worry.....

Get notified of new replies

To Today at the local part store

Quick Reply: Today at the local part store