C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

speedometer needle removal.. help needed..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:11 PM
cheopsDK
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedometer needle removal.. help needed..?

can anyone explain to me, how I remove my speedo needle, with out damaging anything..??

I have removed it from the dashboard

but do I need to unscrewed the backside of the speedometer it self, or can the needle be pulled out...??
Old 03-20-2007, 08:16 PM
gldnkngt
Instructor

Default speedo needle removal

Grab it gently by the chrome hub and turn it counter clockwise wile gently pulling out. Be careful not to let your fingers slip or you may bend the ends of the pointer.
To re install, place it at about 30 MPH and again turn counter clockwise, this time pushing in as you turn it, stopping at 0>
I hope that helps
Old 03-20-2007, 08:56 PM
cheopsDK
4th Gear

Default thank you thank you thank you

Hi cldnkngt

Thank you very very very much, You just saved me soooo many hours, and mind bending, on how to do this, now I can get it all ready for scanning, and do some speedometer pimping ;-)

btw I, got a small chock when it just pooped out – I for a second though I broke it - smiling
Old 03-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Sayfoo
Melting Slicks

Received 449 Likes on 350 Posts

Be carefull. More than 1 member has broken the shaft by trying to remove the needle. I'm not saying it won't work, but it didn't for me. Research the archives. There is a excellent post there that goes step by step, with pictures, to rebuild the speedo without taking the needle off. It looks complicated, but is surprisingly simple with the step by step and pictures.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:58 PM
StickShiftCorvette
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cldnkngt
Grab it gently by the chrome hub and turn it counter clockwise wile gently pulling out. Be careful not to let your fingers slip or you may bend the ends of the pointer.
To re install, place it at about 30 MPH and again turn counter clockwise, this time pushing in as you turn it, stopping at 0>
I hope that helps

I bought a couple trashy ones off of ebay to practice on to make sure I developed the right touch.

Get notified of new replies

To speedometer needle removal.. help needed..?

Quick Reply: speedometer needle removal.. help needed..?