Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this 69 worth (barn find)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 01:17 AM
tcl71
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From looking at the pic's ,it looks pretty good to me!

looks like the bird cage is good ,ya said the frame is good ,the body looks decent....I think it looks like a builder.
the bad thing is.....it needs a lot of parts though!

I see theres a motor in it...is it #'s matching?
if so what is it?

I would say (as of todays market) that it's about a 3k car as is.
one thing to remember is....it's a 69 roadster...and that makes it one of the more desirable C3 cars.

If I was in your situation ,I'd offer 2k and start looking for used parts to make a driver.a lot of parts are the same as later models (other than the seats) so...with some patience you could build a driver for I would say around 10k!
and a stock looking 69 rag top driver....should bring 10k any day of the week!!!

Tom
Old 07-05-2007, 01:54 AM
buzz12
Pro

Originally Posted by vncruiser
He ought to pay you to take it off his hands......The amount of work that car is going to need just to get it on the road much less a finished work would be more than the car is worth......
Just my .2..............
Reid '72 T-top
Why would you want such a headache?
Old 07-05-2007, 02:14 AM
Matt O
Racer

Originally Posted by vncruiser
He ought to pay you to take it off his hands......The amount of work that car is going to need just to get it on the road much less a finished work would be more than the car is worth......
Just my .2..............
Reid '72 T-top
You must have a lot of time and money to throw at that thing. I wouldn't do it!
Old 07-05-2007, 02:47 AM
frostbite
Navigator

Honestly the work doesn't bother me at all, I look forward to building the thing from the frame up. Also I have a 2000 SS as a weekend car, so it isn't like I am in a hurry to get something to drive. Even if the car was more complete, most of that stuff would need to be replaced since it is almost 40yrs old, aside from the body panels.
Old 07-05-2007, 07:36 AM
babylonvette
Burning Brakes

Default go for it

it is priceless whatever grandpa wants for it, pay it maybe you can use the barn to work on it ,he also may finance it for you when he sees you are serious about finnishing his dream car, it will also build a good foundation into your girlfriends family parts for this car are relitavely cheap as long as you dont rush and make spupid purchases take your time figure about 1 1/2 years to complete, once people know what you are looking for parts will start appearing out of nowear GOODLUCK
Old 07-05-2007, 07:38 AM
curtis74
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like it's been sitting for a long time. I'd first check the frame for rust. If you're solid there than it's only $'s
Old 07-05-2007, 08:37 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

you may get it cheaper by offering a trade...grandpa like shot guns? old model trains?..you get the picture...That car is pretty far gone. i agree with those that have said..IF it has a good frame..find a donnor car that doesnt. best way (price wise) to go.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:49 AM
moosie982
Safety Car

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tcl71
From looking at the pic's ,it looks pretty good to me!

looks like the bird cage is good ,ya said the frame is good ,the body looks decent....I think it looks like a builder.
the bad thing is.....it needs a lot of parts though!

I see theres a motor in it...is it #'s matching?
if so what is it?

I would say (as of todays market) that it's about a 3k car as is.
one thing to remember is....it's a 69 roadster...and that makes it one of the more desirable C3 cars.

If I was in your situation ,I'd offer 2k and start looking for used parts to make a driver.a lot of parts are the same as later models (other than the seats) so...with some patience you could build a driver for I would say around 10k!
and a stock looking 69 rag top driver....should bring 10k any day of the week!!!

Tom
First thing is that if it was me I'd buy it in a N.Y. Minute, for as possibly the least amount of money with out offending the senior citizen, hell, start at $500.00 bucks you can always go higher but not too high, second thing is that if you were to buy it for 2K and then start to buy whatever parts you need and then have to farm out whatever it would need, paint and body work ? Motor work ? not counting your time equity you'd be upside down on this car in no time, I dont think you can buy it with the intentions of making it an investment unless of course the value rises so far upward that we'd all be eating lunch with Bill Gates or Donald Trump, George Steinbrenner etc. Buy it , bring it back as a driver and enjoy the hell out of it,,,,,,,,its a hobby , aint it?
Peace,,,Moosie
Old 07-05-2007, 08:52 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

From the looks of it, take the barn and leave the car................
Old 07-05-2007, 09:06 AM
1971Coupe
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

RUN
Old 07-05-2007, 09:28 AM
jgoglick
Instructor

I agree with many of the varied opinions expressed here. My .02. Personally, I wouldn't touch it - but you didn't want to know what I would do . As long as you understand the amount of work invlolved and the cost, then go for it! Getting a donor car will save you considerable money. You have the right idea of not looking at it as an investment. Good luck!
Old 07-05-2007, 03:11 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Depends on what you want. If you want a long term involved project, then it looks like fun. If you want a short term, cheap one then run. I started with something similar to that and I wouldn't trade the experience for anything. Also, you would have to do all the work (except maybe paint) to come out right-side-up money wise. Go for it. Front clip is probably worth $1000 if it isn't busted up-even without hood, headlights, and wiper door.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:20 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 276 Likes on 162 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Originally Posted by Matt O
You must have a lot of time and money to throw at that thing. I wouldn't do it!
...I just plain would NOT want to spend the time or the money on a project like that unless I

1)was retired and did'nt work a full time job

or

2)hit the lottery and paid someone to restore it-but in doing that, it'd be cheaper to buy a highly awarded/fresh restoration '68-'72 bigblock Corvette.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:32 PM
builder
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default It's not the....

It's not the engine or the doors, or the hood, or the seats missing that make it hard to restore or make complete.....It's all the little dodads that will make that car such a money pit to make whole. I bought a complete car that had a hit in the drivers door for $750. If you do anything with it...part it out. Not worth the hassle or money unless you already have a junkyard of parts for it.....IMHO
Old 07-05-2007, 03:39 PM
andylmusic76
Burning Brakes

also several of the mechanical parts are the same in the later c3's (late 70's). you could pick up like a late 70's project and clean up and switch the original parts. then as far as the interior and other smaller things, you would buy that for your specific car. this could cut your cost down thousands.
Old 07-05-2007, 03:44 PM
PatsLs1vette
Le Mans Master

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Im really surprised at how many people are saying run away,dont do it,your wasting your time.Come on guys this is our hobby,our love our passion for cars.Am i the only one who feels this way towards cars.Any vette in my oppinion is worth saving,id be all over it in a heartbeat.And a VERT at that,frostbite make the offer and start having fun bringing it back to life.Mak it a nice driver that you can enjoy,ls1 or ls7 whatever you want to do with it,just have fun doing it.If i added up what i have spent in cars in my 25 years of working on cars,id probably cry but you know what ive driven them and had fun.
Old 07-05-2007, 10:31 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
Im really surprised at how many people are saying run away,dont do it,your wasting your time.Come on guys this is our hobby,our love our passion for cars.Am i the only one who feels this way towards cars.Any vette in my oppinion is worth saving,id be all over it in a heartbeat.And a VERT at that,frostbite make the offer and start having fun bringing it back to life.Mak it a nice driver that you can enjoy,ls1 or ls7 whatever you want to do with it,just have fun doing it.If i added up what i have spent in cars in my 25 years of working on cars,id probably cry but you know what ive driven them and had fun.

Go for it and have fun with it. That's what life is all about.

Get notified of new replies

To What is this 69 worth (barn find)

Old 07-05-2007, 11:03 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by PatsLs1vette
Pat it's not the hobby we are thinking about, it's the money. If I had the money I would say sure, but I would be better off spending my money on a driver for $15K. It would make a great race car or parts car, but not enough there to save.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:10 PM
Budman68
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-...QQcmdZViewItem

69 Project car for $6200 Buy it now.

69 coupe Best offer or Buy it now for $18,500

Both of these are Big Block cars.

A sweet Vert for $21,000 Buy it now.

See my point now.
Old 07-05-2007, 11:15 PM
lucky76
Racer

I wouldn't give $2 for that thing, you'll need $10,000 to get it running again. Buy one that runs now. You'll be divorced before your finish restoring it, that is if your married.

Quick Reply: What is this 69 worth (barn find)