C3 door lock jammed Help please - Page 2 - CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion

C3 General
General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 door lock jammed Help please

Old 07-11-2014, 08:15 AM   #21
76StingrayGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdvector View Post
You were exactly right. I had this problem and could not come up with anything...you were a life saver...thanks for sharing!
This worked great! Only took 4 or 5 tries. When the handle seemed to kind of stick open, I turned the lock back to the locked position, then was able to unlock normally! Thank you so much!
76StingrayGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 08:45 AM   #22
doorgunner
Doorgunner's '68 Project
Support Corvetteforum!

One other little tid-bit of info for an old thread:

On my '68 above the striker-adjusting-bolt, there is a small wedge shaped piece of brass about 1" long by 1/2" wide by 1/4" thick held in place with two screws------there is a matching wedge on the door itself above the latch mechanism.

If the door is shut too forcefully, the two wedges "overlap", rather than resting against each other-----causing the door to jamb itself closed (it will appear that the latch mechanism is not releasing properly, but it is actually the two wedges that have "locked together".

The door edge will not appear to be flush/aligned but will be sitting too far "in from the body edge" I actually had to use a flat pry-bar from "inside" the door/jamb crevice to "move the door forward" about 1/6" while holding the latch to the "release position".....then the two wedges finally popped aloose which let the latch mechanism correctly release allowing the door to open.

I adjusted the striker-bolt outward a little to prevent the wedges from "interlocking" with each other again....making sure the door aligned flush with the rear quarter-panel (the aged-worn-out-compressed door seals allowed the door to close "too far" causing the wedges to "lock together".

EDIT: It seems that the old rubber door seals are too deteriorated to prevent the door from "closing too much".

Last edited by doorgunner; 07-11-2014 at 10:26 AM.
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #23
584me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIXFOOTER View Post
Wow, yet another ancient blast from the past.
Decent thread and good info
Any good informmation is always helpful no matter how old
584me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:52 PM   #24
MAP73
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSH77VETTE View Post
I had the same thing happen to my son's 1975. What I found to be the problem was that the rod that runs from the exterior door handle to the latch needed to be adjusted. What happens is when the rod from the exterior door handle is not just right, and it puts a little pressure onthe latch, it will not let the door lock operate properly. It will also cause the door to not open after it is shut sometimes. Try pulling the door panel off and disconnecting the rod that runs to the exterior door handle. Once you have it loose, try operating the door lock and I'll bet you will find that it works properly. If that's the case, then all you have to do is get the rod that runs to the exterior door lock adjusted properly. I would suggest getting everything adjusted and put back together and try it a few times before you put the door panel back on just in case it locks up on you and won't open. It is much easier to actuate the door lock mechanism to open the door when the panel is not on the interior of the door. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
I'm having the same problem with my 73, both doors. So does that rod need to be shorter or longer? I was thinking that since I changed both outer door handles the geometry might be a bit different that the original handles . Other than the outer handles everything is what came off the old doors, just transferred to the new ones. I did clean everything and lube all the moving parts with white lithium grease.

This is driving me crazy mainly because I can't even identify what I am doing to make them jamb up.
MAP73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   CorvetteForum - Chevrolet Corvette Forum Discussion >
Reload this Page
  • C3 door lock jammed Help please
  •