Sponsored by:

Harbor Freight blaster

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:56 PM
ShinodaVette
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBlockTank
We could have alot of fun just with this 1 comment. But out of respect, I'll leave it alone.

Bad wording I guess. Ooops!

Also, for anybody interested in the HF pressure blaster, I hated it as well. I still have both but ultimately ended up liking the Craftsman siphon feed bucket better. Yep, I have three blasters now.

Last edited by ShinodaVette; 12-30-2007 at 12:59 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 12:59 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ShinodaVette
That's horrible now that I read it again. Ooops!
Sorry man, I can't help it sometime. I am a smarta** most times. Just having a little fun!!
Old 12-30-2007, 01:36 PM
L82shark
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 75 Hot One
Much better & more versatile to get a hand held gravity fed gun or a small pressure tank for about $100 & a canister type dust mask & just blast on a bench outside. That way you're not restricted to part size & have no windows to change. Visibility probably a lot better too.
I've got one of the Craftsman gravity fed jobs, it makes a helluva mess. Been kicking around the idea of building a media blaster cabinet myself. I would sure like to see them plans too!!!

I am tired of picking the little shards of wire wheel out of my arms and chest......
Old 12-30-2007, 01:37 PM
nd4speed
Racer

this might be an option. can make any size you want
http://www.tptools.com/p/337,142_Bui...net-Plans.html
Old 12-30-2007, 02:18 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you guys want, I can draw up some dimensions and make a new thread on how I built it. I threw the plans away after I built it (woops). I can take pics and dimensions as well. I actually modeled it off of a cabinet TPTools sells - it has the exact same dimensions, except I built mine to hold a ton of sand. I'll snap some photos tonight and try to help you guys out - its the least I can do
Old 12-30-2007, 02:23 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,167 Likes on 486 Posts

Make sure that the compressor is in good shape and not passing oil through the rings. Also, put a good water trap on. Mine (the little red cabinet) works OK with my old professional EMGLO, but the compressor uses oil and even though I have a nice moisture trap, the sand get moist, then clumps, and clogs the gun, etc.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:00 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by stinger12
If you guys want, I can draw up some dimensions and make a new thread on how I built it. I threw the plans away after I built it (woops). I can take pics and dimensions as well. I actually modeled it off of a cabinet TPTools sells - it has the exact same dimensions, except I built mine to hold a ton of sand. I'll snap some photos tonight and try to help you guys out - its the least I can do
I promote you to "the man". I would really appreciate it. I could build 2 as cheap, almost as 1.
Damn, now I got another project, oh well, the hits keep on coming!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 03:16 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

To save money, you'll have to make the hopper out of plywood. The metal cost me a lot - but I didn't have a choice. It was a school project last year and working with angles is easier with metal than it is with plywood - I had one week left to finish it...it was much easier to weld it up than to "glue it up." I'll take some pics and dimensions later on tonight.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:19 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

To save money, you'll have to make the hopper out of plywood. The metal cost me a lot - but I didn't have a choice. It was a school project last year and working with angles is easier with metal than it is with plywood - I had one week left to finish it...it was much easier to weld it up than to "glue it up." I'll take some pics and dimensions later on tonight.
shhhhhh.....don't tell nobody, I work on aircraft, and can probably get some aluminum cut to size since I inspect the equipment every day. No one will know. Just kidding, I like my job too much.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:24 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Good idea
Old 12-30-2007, 03:26 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Good idea
Not really, I just remembered, I don't have aluminum welding capability.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:21 PM
robbinhood
Intermediate

I bought the Harbor Freight Floor unit. It is a good size and I can put pretty much all parts in it that need blasting. Works very well. I connected my shop vac to the port on the side to remove the dust. I also bought the 40LB pressurized blaster to strip my frame. It works well too, but it does make a Hell of a mess.

I got a 50lb bucket of the Aluminum Oxide from Harbor Freight, and this stuff works really good. It will remove paint/rust and doesn't change the texture of the metal. I believe it was $50 for the bucket, and I have been using it for a while now. The H.F. store here in Lakeland, FL carries the Aluminum Oxide, Walnut Shells, and Plastic Beads.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:38 PM
weimer20
Burning Brakes

I bought and used the red one. Like someone else already stated, the door seals were not worth a crap. Dust all over the workroom. But it worked well. I was even able to get the a-arms in there with some creativity. Gave it away when I was done with it.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by SS Racing
I want to get a bead blaster to clean up some interior parts. I was looking at the bench top blasters at Harbor Freight. They have 2 for ~$100.

Anyone have any experience with them?

I've got an air compressor that should be able to do small jobs.
I bought the one on the right years ago during a big sale. After replacing the flimsy lid/window with a sheet of heavy plexi from my local window store, replacing the filter assembly with a vacuum hose adapter and replacing the siphon gun with one from a "bucket blaster" kit from Home Depot, it's quite handy and dependable. (Admittedly the HF gun lasted about five years.)
Old 12-31-2007, 12:18 AM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
I bought the one on the right years ago during a big sale. After replacing the flimsy lid/window with a sheet of heavy plexi from my local window store, replacing the filter assembly with a vacuum hose adapter and replacing the siphon gun with one from a "bucket blaster" kit from Home Depot, it's quite handy and dependable. (Admittedly the HF gun lasted about five years.)
Sounds like it was a pretty inexpensive adventure for ya.........
Old 12-31-2007, 04:30 AM
stinger12
Safety Car

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1900529

Started this thread last night for those of you who wanted to know how I built my cabinet.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:12 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I bought a compressor/cabinet combo from TIP years ago, 5hp 80gal compressor with a cabinet about 5 ft wide. I had a friend give me a sheet metal piece about 3x6, I had it bent to the shape of the cabinet and installed to accommodate bumpers and more. Don't waste your time building one, buy a Hemmings Motor News and find the TIP ad. Shipping is free east of the mISSISSIPPI, Or at least it was..........B

Get notified of new replies

To Harbor Freight blaster

Old 12-31-2007, 10:22 AM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvetteload
I bought a compressor/cabinet combo from TIP years ago, 5hp 80gal compressor with a cabinet about 5 ft wide. I had a friend give me a sheet metal piece about 3x6, I had it bent to the shape of the cabinet and installed to accommodate bumpers and more. Don't waste your time building one, buy a Hemmings Motor News and find the TIP ad. Shipping is free east of the mISSISSIPPI, Or at least it was..........B
And those of us that chose to live west of the Mississippi??
Old 12-31-2007, 04:58 PM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Here is a pic of mine, orig cabinet was 4ft, I added 2 more onto it. Anything bigger goes outside with a pressure blaster.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:27 PM
BigBlockTank
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by corvetteload
Here is a pic of mine, orig cabinet was 4ft, I added 2 more onto it. Anything bigger goes outside with a pressure blaster.
I'm confused just a bit. We're not supposed to waste our time building one, yet you wasted time buying one that was too small, and expanding it. I am truly trying to understand this, not slam you. Help me make sense of your nonconsistant posts.

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight blaster