Sponsored by:

Another Body Lift Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 12:25 PM
DJordan442
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another Body Lift Question

i'm getting ready to lift the 69 vert body and have the straps and will attach a chain to the rafter in the garage, but have a stupid question - what type of winch do i need and where do i get one? let me know your experience and any pics would be great. this forum is great and has given me the confidence to do this on my own
Old 01-02-2008, 03:14 PM
robbinhood
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lifted the body on my 72 last month. I used a 2 ton shop crane with no problems.

Make sure you have shortened your sling enough so the body will clear the gas tank. Support the nose with a strap to the radiator core support. Once the body starts to lift, double check to make sure all connections between body and engine/frame are removed, then collect and tag all body mount shims. If you are going to put the body on a dolly, invest in some good quality casters and it will roll around the garage a lot easier. I did the lift with the help of my wife (mainly moral support and gofer duty), and I was surprised how easy the body came off.

Good Luck
Old 01-02-2008, 04:05 PM
DJordan442
Pro

thanks for the fedback - by "shop crane" do you mean the cherry pickers that you use to drop an engine with? Seems that you woul not get enough heighth with one of these but i have no experience to base this on. Any specific shop crane/cherry picker or just the $189 version at Napa? thanks again
Old 01-02-2008, 05:57 PM
ctgene
Banned Scam/Spammer

if you have a Harbor Freight or Northern Tools then these can be had for about $150 to $200...I bought a 1 ton version shop crane at NT on sale for $135...
Old 01-02-2008, 07:06 PM
robbinhood
Intermediate

I got the 2 Ton folding crane from Harbor Freight. It was originally $200, but I got it on sale for $150.

The only issue I had was when I first started lifting, the body was stuck to the frame and I could see the frame lifting with the body. I pulled up on the front and rear with my hands and the body came free. No problems after that. The crane easily supported the weight of the body. I have heard some of the smaller ones have a tendency to tip forward.

I have the Van Steel suspension DVD (pretty good info), and the knocker tool to remove the shock mounts. If you want to borrow it I will send it to you and you can return when done.

Tim
Old 01-02-2008, 08:12 PM
indy99
Melting Slicks

Location: the land of a never ending frame-off resto-mod. May Visa have mercy on my soul.
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you plan on suspending anything from a rafter in the garage make absolutely certain it can support the load or it will snap like a toothpick. Brace it with 4x4s and 2x6s and use bolts not nails.

I did mine in a barn and built my own truss because I did not want to take a chance on 100 year old timbers coming down on me. Just be safe.It's better to spend a few more bucks then it is to repair all the damage that can be done.

Old 01-02-2008, 08:20 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

we just completed a frame replacement for a fellow club member on his '80 and built a similar support that indy99 did.
As he mentioned, make sure it's strong.

we used a simple chainfall that one of the guys working on the project had and it worked great, gives good control of lifting and lowering the body
Old 01-02-2008, 09:44 PM
DJordan442
Pro

thanks everyone for the advice. i'm going to pick up a 2 ton cherry picker and lift the body that way and not mess with the rafters (even though they are 1 ft engineered) or build the truss. i need the cherry picker anyway to get the engine on the frame so makes sense.

ps. Tim - i will let you know if i need the tool. Dan

Get notified of new replies

To Another Body Lift Question

Quick Reply: Another Body Lift Question