Driving Lights Install (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:08 PM
redman76
Melting Slicks

Received 347 Likes on 253 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Driving Lights Install (pics)

Several CF members have asked about my driving lights, so I have created this thread to show the installation on my '76. I installed the driving lights for two reasons: (1) Looks (2) to help me see better at night.

So here is how it looks:

As far as helping me see at night . . . much better now. I always seemed to have some blind spots when driving in the dark. At least now, I can see where my front-end is.

I purchased inexpensive Westin 55W lights from Summit: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

They mount on the vertical grill support.

The brackets that came with the kit were too short which made the lights stick too far forward to where you would not be able to get the grill back on. So I had to make another set of brackets to move lights back a couple of inches. I used the original bracket as a template and just extented the length about 2".

Then I made the electrical connections. This is the part of the thread where I'll probably get "flamed". I connected my lights DIRECTLY into my side marker wiring harness. This was the easiest approach for me and I wanted them always on when my lights were on. Many here on CF would highly recommend running through a relay (which is in the kit I purchased). I would strongly recommend that you read up on installing lights here on the CF and decide for yourself which way is best for you. I have not had any issues with my light switch overheating, the lights not being bright enough, or wiring heating up.

I really like the way the lights look and they definitely help me see better. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking about this upgrade.

Lane
Old 01-24-2008, 07:11 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Those are really cool Lane. Good work.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM
NBC3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango_boy
Those are really cool Lane. Good work.

Thinking they might work well at keeping the Moose off my bumper
Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

They look great and those brackets you made look very professional. What tools did you use to make them and where did you get the metal, and what kind is it?
Glenn
Old 01-24-2008, 08:16 PM
speedreed8
Melting Slicks

Received 299 Likes on 202 Posts

great idea, i looked at the kit and instructions on summitracing,
you have given me a great idea, i can use the relay, and power the lights from the old plug where my underhood light used to be, (removed by some P.O.)since it is powered straight from the battery / alternator, and power the relay with the park light circuit. thanks those look great, should of been a factory option.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 PM
TheSkunkWorks
Le Mans Master

Received 68 Likes on 50 Posts

IMHO, that looks much better than two between the bumper guards.

BTW, is that an Eckler #10291 air dam? ...and did you have any problems with the angle when installing it?
Old 01-25-2008, 12:52 AM
Z-man
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nice job!! They'd be brighter if you ran a relay...
Old 01-25-2008, 12:56 AM
Aggitated Monkey
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice job and look great
Old 01-25-2008, 07:53 AM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I wanted something very similar but didn't want to hide them so I can up with this way to incorporate foglights and new signals.

The thread was actually to show the signals, but I posted some pics of the grill mounted in the car with the lights installed.

They need painted, and the nose of the car needs some work, but I was very happy with the effect.

All headlights and foglights are powered through relays.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=1906331
Old 01-25-2008, 08:06 AM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Redman, nice job.
Can you expand on your wiring comment a bit more?
Thanks
Old 01-25-2008, 10:40 AM
redman76
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TheSkunkWorks
IMHO, that looks much better than two between the bumper guards.

BTW, is that an Eckler #10291 air dam? ...and did you have any problems with the angle when installing it?
No, that is an Eckler's #10289 Pace Car Spoiler. It bolted right on , but you must install with Eckler's #A2993 air dam. I followed the instructions to trim the A2993 air dam which becomes part of the mounting support for the spoiler. Then the spoiler bolts to what is left of the air dam. I had to use my dremel to elongate the air dam mounting holes to make everything line up correctly . . . it did take some finageling.

I don't know if that makes sense, but let me know if it doesn't and I'll try to get some pics.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:53 AM
redman76
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by GD70
They look great and those brackets you made look very professional. What tools did you use to make them and where did you get the metal, and what kind is it?
Glenn
Thanks . . . The brackets were made from some "scrap" stainless steel that was laying around our apparatus shop here at work. I used a band saw to cut, drill press for the holes and a hand brake for the bends. Touched it up with a file and painted black to blend in. Also, the camera angle hides the imperfections for some reason.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:11 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

That's a very nice job! You will enjoy the extra safety those lamps bring.

I did essentially the same thing about six years ago but using Hella 1500 OptiLux lamps. I wired a separate circuit back to the fusebox so the lamps are independent of the factory lighting. On my 1979 there was a 30-amp, ignition switched/fused connection at the bottom of the fusebox. It was intended for the optional auxiliary electric cooling fan that I did not have. I added a heavy duty toggle switch under the dash for further control. So:

-ignition off lamps off
-ignition on toggle on lamps on
-ignition on toggle off lamps off

Essentially they served as daytime running lights which was my intention. The C3 has a low frontal area and anything that can be done to increase visibility is a positive safety factor.

Last edited by Paul L; 01-25-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:15 AM
Trae1976
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very nice!
Old 01-25-2008, 11:44 AM
redman76
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by BTAL
Redman, nice job.
Can you expand on your wiring comment a bit more?
Thanks
I'm not sure which part you want me to expand, but I'll give it a shot. I used some blue wiring taps (that I bought from WalMart in the car stereo section) and tied into the existing positive and negative wiring for the side marker lights on each side. As far as my other comments regarding overheating, brightness and using relays . . . before I installed my lights, I did some research on CF and saw several threads about using relays connected to a direct battery source to eliminate issues with overheating the headlight switch and to increase brightness, plus some did not want connected to headlights so they could control separately. I went against the recommendations, mainly for ease, but to see for myself (being aware of the potential issues.) I have had these installed for about a year now with no issues . . . hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:44 PM
1Z87L8
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<-----only because i cant see pics here at work
Old 01-26-2008, 12:26 AM
682XLR8
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice, clean installation
I've been wanting to do something similar, as some added night lighting would help, especially on the backroads. Now I have some incentive!
Thanks for the write-up
Old 01-26-2008, 08:12 AM
BTAL
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Sorry for the vague question and thanks for the reply. It was the part about not using a relay that I was curious about. Your install has answered a question on installing lights (sizing, fitment, appearance), I was just concerned about that kind of amp draw through older wiring.

Originally Posted by redman76
I'm not sure which part you want me to expand, but I'll give it a shot. I used some blue wiring taps (that I bought from WalMart in the car stereo section) and tied into the existing positive and negative wiring for the side marker lights on each side. As far as my other comments regarding overheating, brightness and using relays . . . before I installed my lights, I did some research on CF and saw several threads about using relays connected to a direct battery source to eliminate issues with overheating the headlight switch and to increase brightness, plus some did not want connected to headlights so they could control separately. I went against the recommendations, mainly for ease, but to see for myself (being aware of the potential issues.) I have had these installed for about a year now with no issues . . . hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:34 PM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a really REALLY nice install. I wonder if I could do something like that on my 81 while it's sleeping for the winter. Might have to do something a little bit different with the smaller grilles on mine.

Get notified of new replies

To Driving Lights Install (pics)

Quick Reply: Driving Lights Install (pics)