Sponsored by:

Door lock problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:05 PM
FourHuskers
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door lock problem

Anyone with experience in unlocking a locked door that won't open with the key or inside latch? I've got a 75 coupe. Tried a slim jim down the window and I can move the connecting rod to the lock but the lock won't budge from the door. I don't think it's the latch from the handle but the outer handle is drooping down. I think somehow the lock is frozen. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:07 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep, my son just bought a 75 and we have experienced the same problem. The door lock did not work right when we purchased the car and it needed new exterior door handles. I installed the new door handle and worked the mechanism before shutting the door to make sure that it would work properly, however when I shut the door it would not open from the outside nor the inside and the lock mech was not working properly. I figured I would have to purchase a new door latch mechanism to fix the problem , but my first problem was getting the darn door open to even be able to remove the darn thing. What I did was pull the door panel from the passenger side so I could see exactly what needed to be triggerred to cause the door to open. Then, after seeing exactly what needed to be tripped, I rolled the drivers side windown down, and used a flashlight to see the exact part that I then triggered with a long screw driver.

Now, with all that said, I did determine what the problem was as well. Sounds like your door handle spring is broken and letting the door handle drop down just like on my sons 75. The cause of the problem that you are having (the door being shut and locked and won't unlock or open) is caused by the pressure being placed on the rod that connects the exterior door handle to the latch mechanism. Even after I installed the new door latch on my sons 75, I still had the same problem with the door closing and not openning nor allowing me to unlock. Finally after screwing around with this thing for a couple of hours, I was able to adjust the linking rod that runs from the exterior door handle to the latch mech so that it worked properly. This thing is very touch and has to be adjusted darn close, otherwise it will continue to cause the results that you are seeing. I would suggest you buy a new exterior door handle, and then follow the steps that I noted above to get your door open, and then install the new handle and make the appropriate adjustments until it works right. ALSO, keep your interior door panel off the door while you do your closing and openning tests until you get it right so that you can access the door latch mech in case it locks up on you again. It will take you a little time, but you will eventually get it adjusted properly so it will work. More than likely, if you keep the rod exactly where it is, the new exterior door handle with a working spring may fix your problem. Good luck !!!
Old 02-07-2008, 01:53 PM
FourHuskers
Heel & Toe

Sounds exactly like what I'm going through. I'll try it this weekend.
Thanks.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:13 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

To get the door open to check everything over, you're going to have to pull the panel back a bit, use a flashlight to see in, and use a LONG flathead screw driver, and press on the part under the arrow. It's the tab closest to the bulkhead. You may slip off, so just stay with it. Once you get a good solid push on it the door should pop right open.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM
original76
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've changed the outside handles many times when the spring has broken and the handle droops. I'm thinking about seeing if I can take the handle apart and replacing the spring with a ss sring that will not rust.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:56 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by original76
I've changed the outside handles many times when the spring has broken and the handle droops. I'm thinking about seeing if I can take the handle apart and replacing the spring with a ss sring that will not rust.
Great picture. That is exactly the spot I had to trip with my long screwdriver to get the door to open. With this data and your detailed picture, FourHuskers should be able to get his door open fairly easily.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:08 PM
VeroL81
Instructor

Wow - great thread!

I had the exact thing happen to our '81. Only my wife got STUCK in the car one night in the driveway - neither door would open for her! After her initial freak-out (she's highly claustrophobic!) she started the car back up, got the window down and removed the T-top.

Boy, did I get an ear-full the next day. :o I had to remove the door panel - with the doors closed - and trip at the spot Durango Boy pointed out. I assumed the latches were bad so I ordered a pair from Ecklers. Been on backorder.

I guess I need to revisit this problem and replace my drooping handles.

Do I hear a second? Thanks! ...Alan K
Old 02-08-2008, 05:26 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by VeroL81
Wow - great thread!

I had the exact thing happen to our '81. Only my wife got STUCK in the car one night in the driveway - neither door would open for her! After her initial freak-out (she's highly claustrophobic!) she started the car back up, got the window down and removed the T-top.

Boy, did I get an ear-full the next day. :o I had to remove the door panel - with the doors closed - and trip at the spot Durango Boy pointed out. I assumed the latches were bad so I ordered a pair from Ecklers. Been on backorder.

I guess I need to revisit this problem and replace my drooping handles.

Do I hear a second? Thanks! ...Alan K
Yea VeroL81, I thought the same thing (the latch is bad) and I almost went ahead and ordered one (at $115/ea). Then, my logic kicked in and I decided to pull the old one out just to make sure it was bad. Of course, as I noted above in the thread, I found out that it was the pressure on the rod that runs from the handle to the door latch. For some reason, just a little pressure from this rod on the latch really screws up the door lock in the latch hence all the problems occur. A new door handle, a little patience and adjusting the rod between the new door handle and latch and your good to go. Oh, just another piece of advice, when I had the door latch out, I cleanded it up real nice and re-lubricated it with white lithium grease (in a spray can) because with it out, you can really lubricate all the working parts. Good luck........but this should fix you up and save you from spending some serious dollars on two new door latches.

thx
Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 AM
FourHuskers
Heel & Toe

LSH77VETTE- You were spot on. Hit that piece of the lock and it opened right up. Now I've just got to replace the drooping lock and adjust the locking rod so it stays unlocked when you want it. Thanks to all for the great advice. I was without the vette for over 5 weeks trying to figure this out.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:33 PM
LSH77VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by FourHuskers
LSH77VETTE- You were spot on. Hit that piece of the lock and it opened right up. Now I've just got to replace the drooping lock and adjust the locking rod so it stays unlocked when you want it. Thanks to all for the great advice. I was without the vette for over 5 weeks trying to figure this out.
You are more than welcome. Glad I could help. Enjoy.

thx

Get notified of new replies

To Door lock problem

Quick Reply: Door lock problem