Sponsored by:

Help sourcing where to buy the right parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Big_Easy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help sourcing where to buy the right parts

I would like to replace all of the weather striping, carpet, deluxe door panels and rear quater panels in my 72 coupe. I am getting conflicting stories about which comapnies makes or fits the best. I know if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers but I am looking for suggestion from people who have already been down this road and replaced these parts. Thanks
Old 02-15-2008, 12:23 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Carpet and all interior parts try Al Knoch. They are the best IMHO.

Weatherstrip I would get from Dr Rebuild or a reputable supplier.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

For weatherstrip I would call Corvette Rubber directly.

Door panels and quarter trim, you have two choices, Al Knoch or Corvette America, both fit and look good. Hit up "Ironcross" for your Knoch parts.

Carpeting, basically ACC supplies to the catalogs and I believe Al Knoch has their own. Romeo Engineering is also a carpet supplier worth looking into.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:19 PM
Big_Easy
Heel & Toe

Thanks for these leads, I'll start looking into them.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:19 PM
brdd
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Big_Easy
I would like to replace all of the weather striping, carpet, deluxe door panels and rear quater panels in my 72 coupe. I am getting conflicting stories about which comapnies makes or fits the best. I know if you ask 10 people you will get 10 different answers but I am looking for suggestion from people who have already been down this road and replaced these parts. Thanks

I did the interior in my 72 two years ago. I bought most of the stuff on ebay, since most of it comes from the same source. Top dash came from one place, door panels came from two different places, carpet came from another, compartment panels from another, etc. I had the same disappointments in fit as anyone else. Some pieces fit well, some not very well.

I shopped around, spent my money and got my stuff. Overall I was happy with the results. I would use the same strategy again.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:32 PM
Red70vette
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found the door panels, dash pad, and leather seats from Al Knoch were of good quality and they fit very well. I did not buy from anyone else so I have nothing to compare it to. But I was very satisfied with their products. I got weatherstrip from Dr. Rebuild along with many interior parts. The quality and fit of these products were excellent.

I have seen other parts from vendors which were not of good quality on other cars but I don't know their origins.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 PM
A C
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

I have redone my interior twice. Once when I was new to the hobby and didn't know any better, and the second time after I learned my lessons from the first time. After installing brand new carpet from the major carpet manufacturer (we'll call them brand "A"), and then installing carpet from Al Knoch, I can tell you Al's is superior. After installing that carpet, I bought some repro vinyl seat covers from Al, and my seats look awesome (although they are sitting in a corner after I bought 84 seats). I have a lot of complaints about a lot of interior trim companies, but Al Knoch is one I can honestly say I have no complaints about. BTW, if you DO have a complaint, their customer service is very good.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Big_Easy
Heel & Toe

Great job this is the same color interior as mine. It will be sometime before I have mine looking like this, can't wait....
Originally Posted by brdd
I did the interior in my 72 two years ago. I bought most of the stuff on ebay, since most of it comes from the same source. Top dash came from one place, door panels came from two different places, carpet came from another, compartment panels from another, etc. I had the same disappointments in fit as anyone else. Some pieces fit well, some not very well.

I shopped around, spent my money and got my stuff. Overall I was happy with the results. I would use the same strategy again.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Big_Easy
Heel & Toe

Again I must say thanks for your replies and referrals. I will be taking all of your advise when ordering from Al Knoch & Dr Rebuild. I don't want to be penny wise and pound foolish
Old 02-19-2008, 04:39 PM
BarryK
Le Mans Master

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Generally I've always recommended Al Knoch for interior items hands down and I had Al do my seats of my '65 at Carlisle 2 years ago and they were very nice.
Last year I helped a friend redo the carpet in his '79 and also recommended he get the carpet from Al Knoch and we were both very disappointed in it - it was cut horribly and missing the needed welts that slip onto the lip inside the doorjamb (only on '78's and '79's) so we had to find used welts, and make it work ourselves by using the fabric end of the carpet, wrap and glue it around the welt than install it. Finding the welts was difficult since no one carries them. It just made a PIA job even more of a PIA.
I just ordered new carpet for my '78 and after research ordered it from Willcox. I haven't installed it yet but it at least comes complete with the correct welts for the lip in the doorjamb so it's more correct than the Al Knoch carpet.
I've also been seeing threads lately that the new door panels that Willcox sells are nicer and fit better than the Al Knoch panels, at least over on the C2 section.
just my experience so far.....

I've purchased a lot of money worth of stuff from Doc Rebuild and he has excellent products although I've never gotten interior items from him.
I agree with Scott though that for the very best weather stripping order from Corvette Rubber.

Last edited by BarryK; 02-19-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:53 PM
Hezzy
Instructor

there is a place about 2 hours from you in Grand Valley. Ontario Corvette Corral. You can source your needs from there and not have to worry about shipping from the states. They deal mostly with Corvette America but they aren't limited to them they tell me. I wish I was as close to them as you are. There are no Corvette stores any where near me.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:11 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I purchased my weatherstripping for my 68 from Dr. Rebuild. Fit perfect and I am very fussy, but happy with the product I received.
Kurt
Old 02-19-2008, 08:15 PM
ksbunting
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Quote " Romeo Engineering is also a carpet supplier worth looking into."

Do a search on this forum for stories about people who ordered from Romeo and then waited for long periods to get their merchandise.
It's your money, make sure you know and trust the vendor you give it to.
Kurt

Get notified of new replies

To Help sourcing where to buy the right parts

Quick Reply: Help sourcing where to buy the right parts