Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:04 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Default Console Re-Install

Need some help putting console back.

1970 4 spd without a/c

The heater control screws on to a plate(heater control housing) that also has the vent control levers. Does this housing sit above or below the console? In other words,does the housing sit there and the console sits on top or does the housing go over the console and then the console plate sits on the housing?

Also, for the vent cables, they attach to the levers but where do the flanges screw in? I mean the flanges that are on the cable itself in order to hold the cable still so the lever moves it properly.

Hope you can understand the questions and if not I can take some pics of the area.

Any other tips on console re-install would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by hzz; 02-17-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:31 PM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wish I would have read this an hour ago: I JUST put mine back together! Small world. I believe the heater control unit sits on top of the console frame; then the metal shifter boot plate goes ontop of all of it with the four phillips screws in each corner. As far as the cable shield mount, let me go look. Meanwhile, here's my new radio install I just finished:

Old 02-17-2008, 04:47 PM
AirTrafficController
Pro

Okay - the heater control unit rests on top of the console frame (see pic). the cable is mounted to the console underneath the top of it. So if you're looking at your console from your seat, just below where the headlamp indicator lamp bar is - directly under it, the cables screw into the console with clips. I couldn't get a picture of it, sorry.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:49 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by AirTrafficController
Wish I would have read this an hour ago: I JUST put mine back together! Small world. I believe the heater control unit sits on top of the console frame; then the metal shifter boot plate goes ontop of all of it with the four phillips screws in each corner. As far as the cable shield mount, let me go look. Meanwhile, here's my new radio install I just finished:

with the order of assembly.
The vent cables have the push on nuts that bite into the shaft so they don't slide off, If I undertsand your question. Look at the AIM or a vendor catalog that has a diagram of this area.
Old 02-17-2008, 05:17 PM
ENG40
Racer

This might be helpful, it's not for the console but close to it.
http://willcoxcorvette.com/instructi...8-76_new_2.pdf

Good luck!
Old 02-17-2008, 06:15 PM
Theiskell
Burning Brakes

On my ’69 the vent cables were attached to the post coming down from the fiber optics cover plate. A push nut was holding them in place on the end of the post with a second nut flush with the bottom of the console to hold the plate in place. I’m not sure if your 70 is the same, but thought I would throw it out there.
Old 02-17-2008, 06:29 PM
Chris Farrer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just did mine and its a pain in the ***. Bought a new center console and with the vinyl covering the airconditioning base plate was just a bit too wide to fit in (filed it down). There is alot of jimmying and adjustment needed to make it all fit and in the back of your mind is the gauge bezel can very easily snap in two.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
hzz
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks for all the help.

I finally got it back together. The picture was a big help. The heater control housing sits on top as in the picture.

The vent cables screw into the bottom of the console, near the fiber optics.

It all does go together but it is a tight fit...lots of tweaking to get it all in.

Next is the center gauge cluster
Old 02-18-2008, 04:58 PM
ENG40
Racer

Get notified of new replies

To Console Re-Install

Quick Reply: Console Re-Install