Sponsored by:

Seal or Gelcoat

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:53 AM
69sharkwor
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seal or Gelcoat

The soda blaster cut right to the fiberglass and I didn't know till I put primer on the vehicle to start the body work. It was then that I saw the fibers sticking up through the primer. Any suggestions? Will a good epoxy sealer work, do I need to glaze coat the entire car??
Old 02-18-2008, 10:33 AM
TheMongoose
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Polyester primer on mine. Ran through the same question with the shop where i was doing my Vette. The polyester primer will seal it up and be much easier to work with. Make sure you have time set aside to sand it right away. If you wait more than 2 days it really starts to harden up and the sanding goes much much slower. Also, you don't want to sand through it, just smooth it out well and then go to standard primers for filling and smoothing. Once I did this I went back to a standard Y2k primer and put a high build and a medium build coat on before a sealer coat and then the single stage paint.

Last edited by TheMongoose; 02-18-2008 at 10:37 AM. Reason: forgot a point
Old 02-18-2008, 02:21 PM
69sharkwor
Cruising

So the polyester primer sets down the fiberglass fibers? Also the soda blaster didn't do the best job I have spots with paint remaining that need to be sanded off but I fear further damage to the fiberglass.

So you'd recommend a polyester primer then sand down the highs, block the whole car? Then do the bodywork, then high build primers futher blocking & blocking & blocking, etc., then epoxy sealer, followed by paint?
Old 02-18-2008, 02:46 PM
TheMongoose
Pro

I did all my major bodywork before the polyester primer. You want the whole car sealed in that before you get to blocking. My car was stored in a heated garage so i wasn't worried about the bare glass. For instance my front fenders were rippled pretty bad but I wasn't through to the glass on them so I did that work 1st. My front fender needed a new piece of fiberglass added to it that I had to make from scratch; I did that 1st. I found a couple holes in the passenger side fender so I patched those with duraglass 1st, then sanded them down prior to the polyester primer.
Next I did the 1st round of block sanding with 220 grit on the polyester primer.Everything was body filler at this stage then.
Next high build primer. block sand at 320 grit. Work hard not to sand through anywhere. glaze anywhere you need to. Hopefully you don't need any more body filler although I still had to use some because the lip around the fender still wasn't right.
Next medium build primer. guide coat the whole thing and start wet sanding with 400 grit paper wrapped around a paint stir stick. Use lots of water.
We seal coated ours right before we sprayed it. I had sanded through the top coat of primer in a few places so this gave us a uniform color under our 1st coat of paint and I didn't want to primer and block again.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:56 PM
TheMongoose
Pro

Originally Posted by 69sharkwor
So the polyester primer sets down the fiberglass fibers? Also the soda blaster didn't do the best job I have spots with paint remaining that need to be sanded off but I fear further damage to the fiberglass.
yes it traps the fibers. Get all your paint sanded down 1st. Stay away from the glass in those areas but still make sure all your rough sanding is done. If the paints not cracked or for some reason in really bad shape or you have 3 or 4 coats to go through you just need to rough up th surface.
I was surprised though how much blocking was required just due to the thickness of the paint layers. As uniform as you can get it before putting that 1st coat of primer on the better.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:39 PM
2TS-73
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default paint

go to the paint and body forum and ask your question,you will get some good answers,but im afraid that they will tell you not to soda blast,ask for porchdog
Old 02-18-2008, 03:57 PM
69sharkwor
Cruising

To late already done.

Get notified of new replies

To Seal or Gelcoat

Quick Reply: Seal or Gelcoat