Sponsored by:

Painting Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 10:51 AM
marines
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Painting Question

I have never painted fiberglass before. The Vette I bought (74) had a really poor paint job with thiness, fish eyes, etc. I do not want to strip it down to bare fiberglass. What would be the appropriate steps to paint this car the same color (white)? Thanks for all your help.
Old 02-18-2008, 11:02 AM
Ron R
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't want to strip it down all the way, you're probably not going to be satisfied with your re-paint. Often times what appears to be a paint defect is actually UNDER the paint - fiberglass is porous and if not prepped and painted properly, what gets covered up today may emerge later - bubbles, blemishes, etc. are usually due to poor prep and not poor paint.

If you're absolutely sure the blemishes are only in the paint (like drips for example) that's one thing, but usually the problems happen below.

Here's a good article about painting fiberglass.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Paint-Fiberglass
Old 02-18-2008, 11:20 AM
donnd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you have a car with bad paint and you don't want to correct it but want to repaint to cover the bad paint .
May I suggest Home Depot premium latex and a good quality roller
Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 AM
TMU
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10, '15, '17

Take it to a few body shops and have them look at it. They'll give you a good idea on what needs to be done. If this is not going to be high dollar car you can probably find a production shop that will strip and shoot it for $1500-1800. Some Maaco shops do decent work for a driver quality car.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:13 PM
halfmoontrail
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by marines
I have never painted fiberglass before. The Vette I bought (74) had a really poor paint job with thiness, fish eyes, etc. I do not want to strip it down to bare fiberglass. What would be the appropriate steps to paint this car the same color (white)? Thanks for all your help.
1. An epoxy primer/sealer, after solvent wipe and scuff sanding (~400 grit).
2. A high solids primer/surfacer, sand to suitable finish.
3. A topcoat, either lacquer, acrylic enamel, polyurethane enamel, or basecoat/clearcoat; wet sanded and buffed to a suitable finish.

Steve
Old 02-18-2008, 09:22 PM
marines
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought this car to keep my mind off of cancer that has again affected my dear wife. I need something to do while I am caring for her and the Vette is a good project car. That is why I want to paint it. I have never done anything like this but know I can do it. I did not intend to disrespect the car. Please forgive me if I seemed like I wanted to do just a "quickie" to cover someone else's errors. I will do it the right way. Thanks for all of your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Painting Question

Quick Reply: Painting Question