Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust Pitting

Old 02-18-2008, 05:52 PM
70454Convert
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rust Pitting

I have media blasted my a-arms and there is significant pitting of the metal. Besides priming/painting over it, does anyone have a recommendation regarding filling/smoothing the surface. I am going to use Eastwood rust encapsulator/ chasis black. Do I apply bondo then the rust encapsulator or apply the encapsulator first, Bondo then another coat of rust encapsulator and top coat?

Also, if I decided to powder coat, can I fill the pitting before powder caot or would I have to accept the wavt appearance of the unfilled metal?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 06:07 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

If your going to paint them I'd use bondo or something like it. I believe there is a high temperature filler that can be used under powder coating.
Regards,
Alan
Old 02-18-2008, 06:16 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 70454Convert
I have media blasted my a-arms and there is significant pitting of the metal. Besides priming/painting over it, does anyone have a recommendation regarding filling/smoothing the surface. I am going to use Eastwood rust encapsulator/ chasis black. Do I apply bondo then the rust encapsulator or apply the encapsulator first, Bondo then another coat of rust encapsulator and top coat?

Also, if I decided to powder coat, can I fill the pitting before powder caot or would I have to accept the wavt appearance of the unfilled metal?

Thanks
Permatex makes a metal filler in a tube that might work better than Bondo. Both Rust Encapsulator and Bondo like bare metal so neither order of application is ideal. I would put a coating of Rust Encapsulator first to seal up the rust pits and then apply Bondo. The arm isn't going to get banged up or stressed so the Bondo shouldn't come off. Not sure how a top coat of R.E. would bond to the Bondo. You might be OK with a coat of regular primer before the Chassis Black. So I guess the order could be: 1. Rust Encapsulator. 2. Bondo. 3. Primer. 4. Chassis Black.

I would also go for the newer Chassis Black formula that lets you put on multiple coats, although I did 2 coats with some of the original formula and didn't see much difference.

Rick B.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:54 PM
70454Convert
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I'll give the RI-Bondo-prime-chasis black a try.

Get notified of new replies

To Rust Pitting

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rust Pitting