Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:51 PM
Go Vette Go
Red Road Warrior

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10-'11, '15, '19

Default Muncie Gurus - A little help!

I pulled the Muncie M21 from my 69 last week and noticed the all the shifter seals leaked. I got new seals and easily replaced the 1-2 & 3-4 seals.

1. How the heck does the reverse shifter seal come out. I don't want to scar the shaft by getting too over zealous.

2. Also, there doesn't appear to be an input shaft seal. I can tell by all the goo in the bell housing that fluid was leaking there too. Is there suppose to be a seal there?

Thanks,

John
Old 02-18-2008, 10:33 PM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

John, I'd give Ed a call

ED HARTNETT STD TRANSM SERVI LANSDOWNE 610-623-9381 WB
Old 02-19-2008, 08:10 AM
dmaaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This post should be in tech.
I"m not a munci guru by no means, but i have the same problem as you. i replaced the reverse same as the other two with a small screw driver pop it out. Don"t forget to replace the drive shaft yoke seal too.
Now on the oil inside the bell housing, if the tranny was over filled the oil will run out there (overflow) cause from what i read there"s no seal there. If it didn"t get there from overfilling then you have a worn case. fixable via replacing the case or having your case sleaved.
Mine doesen"t leak it pours!!!!!!!!! I"m interested in what you find out with yours, so please post back with some results.
ps: use some blue loctite on the linkage nuts when you put them back on. use brake cleaner to get all the oil off. david

Get notified of new replies

To Muncie Gurus - A little help!

Quick Reply: Muncie Gurus - A little help!