Sponsored by:

BIRDCAGE REPAIR "A LA HACK"!!! you have to see this

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TMU
What is the correct procedure, just cut out the bad sections and weld in new pieces?
Yep

Does anyone make the complete cage?
Yeah, General Motors but they stopped 26 years ago.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnd
The fact of the matter is we are dealing with cars 30,40 or more years old ,beat up and fubared back together for a lot of those years

Unfortunately every body/resto shop out there is the best according to their own selves, and the rest don’t know what they are doing .

Even more unfortunate is most of us are at other trades or professions and are at the mercy of those supposedly in the know.
THAT IS WHY SEEING PREVIOUS WORK IS EVERYTHING!!!!
There are a lot of good shops out there and there are some not so good.A good shop should be able to show you current projects as well as detailed pictures of during(how they actually repair things) and finished through cars.

Everyone can talk a lot but then they have to be able to walk the walk.

I personally only put down work such as this, that I have to clean up!!!!

No one including me is perfect but this is a fiasco of huge proportions.

IMAGINE THIS GUY DOCUMENTING THIS REPAIR : First I take the packing tape and roll it up in a ball. Then I cover it with cardboard. Then I bondo over it . IT looks GREAT!!!! OOPS!! It cracked. Well I guess I wont work on this any more.

Last edited by Road-Race Vette; 02-28-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 PM
jds68stang
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to see these guys take care of this situation for what they did to that birdcage and the owner (I like instant justice )

I sure don't envy you having to undo and repair that mess. That bondo is going to contaminat everything and its in every tiny hole, nook and cranny on everything that needs repair
Your gonna earn your money on this job but glad to see its in good hands now
Old 02-28-2008, 10:20 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I still hold the largest bondo bandaid award.
Old 02-29-2008, 12:04 AM
waterplay
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now wonder it cost 5k if they would have just used wood shavings or cut grass he would not have paid so much. They should have at least put the Vaseline jar in there!
Old 02-29-2008, 12:53 AM
itzza427
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I am flabbergasted.I don't do body work,have only painted some motorcycle tanks, and even I know anything more than a skim coat of bondo web spiderweb and or crack. And this guy is supposed to be a "PRO"? If it wasn't so sad(and he was screwing some one out of his hard earned money) it would be funny. Instead it just makes you
Old 02-29-2008, 03:31 AM
ngcolby
Pro

I'd be taking those pics to court with me. Any judge would rule against the shop that did that work.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:14 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

That is a good one. I have a customer with a 65 coupe that needs a windshield frame and drip rails. His was filled with white silicone caulking. And I thought that was bad. Stan. The one in your pics is by far the worst hack job I have ever seen. The poor guy that owns that car must be sick. Have fun with that one. Who knows what else you will find. I don't know about you but what pisses me off the most when something like that comes into your shop. Is that someone got paid to do that and gets to keep the money. You will have to bust your butt to fix it and maybe get paid the same amount as the butcher did. Thats just wrong.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:40 AM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

I think if he took 5,000 $1 bills, dipped them in glue, and made paper mache out of them, he would have had a stronger fix!! Poor guy, at least it will be done right now BUBBA LIVES!
Old 02-29-2008, 09:13 AM
TEXASDESERTVETTE
Racer

I am willing to bet * , that the address of the "Shop" that had been doing the work......Is going to be the same address on the payment "Check"...
This is a reason why some people need to have the "Work" done.
Take it easy with this Person.....or they may never try again.....Besides it is not like they did " Everythink...I mean.... thing, wrong.
I do not see a "Bondo Shop" going to so much trouble.....They would have just used more "Bondo".

"A man's gotta' know his limitations" D.H.

Last edited by TEXASDESERTVETTE; 02-29-2008 at 09:22 AM. Reason: *just a figure of speech.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:22 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by aworks
That is a good one. I have a customer with a 65 coupe that needs a windshield frame and drip rails. His was filled with white silicone caulking. And I thought that was bad. Stan. The one in your pics is by far the worst hack job I have ever seen. The poor guy that owns that car must be sick. Have fun with that one. Who knows what else you will find. I don't know about you but what pisses me off the most when something like that comes into your shop. Is that someone got paid to do that and gets to keep the money. You will have to bust your butt to fix it and maybe get paid the same amount as the butcher did. Thats just wrong.
Brian, he is sick. One of the bad parts of my job is showing customers things like this. I agree ,things like this **** me off too because someone wasted their money on something like this,and it is crap like this that makes people weary,ultimately giving the restoration industry a bad name. And you are right, it will cost the same to fix it right making this even more annoying.

I met the guy who did the work. (he delivered the car).He seemed like a nice guy to me until I saw this!!! No nice guy would do this , call it acceptable and accept payment for it.

Last edited by Road-Race Vette; 02-29-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Old 02-29-2008, 09:30 AM
chevy69
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '08

Wow - I wonder how many of his "restorations" are out there on the road today? He's likely got other projects underway in his shop right now. This is plain and simple fraud and this guy should be held accountable. I hope your customer takes action against him. I doubt it's his first hack job.

Besides being fraudulent, it's also a safety issue to put work like that out on the streets
Old 02-29-2008, 09:43 AM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXASDESERTVETTE
I am willing to bet * , that the address of the "Shop" that had been doing the work......Is going to be the same address on the payment "Check"...
This is a reason why some people need to have the "Work" done.
Take it easy with this Person.....or they may never try again.....Besides it is not like they did " Everythink...I mean.... thing, wrong.
I do not see a "Bondo Shop" going to so much trouble.....They would have just used more "Bondo".

"A man's gotta' know his limitations" D.H.
That would be H.C.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:05 AM
donnd
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Road-Race Vette,
It is good to see someone has the time to at least try to educate us as to the goings on in the industry. There are a ton of safety issues involved here .
If by chance you come across the previous “restoration” guy ask him how he would feel about his cars being road/safety tested in the same neighborhood as his kids play or go to school.

B.W.T. just scrolled through you web site ,goooood looking cars.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:21 AM
ribilly
Instructor

Those pictures are just plain scary. Brings back memories of when I was a teenager and tried to fix one of my $ 25.00 cars from the Yankee Trader. You know the ones with the rotted out rocker panels that would get fixed by stuffing newspaper or steel wool in them and slaping on a thick coat of bondo. Of course two months later the bondo would fall off and history would repeat itself.

Thank God the bondo cracked on this Vette or ths shop fixing it would have buttoned it up and sent this guy on his way to a potential early grave. I am glad there are guys like you Stan that take the time to point out stuff like this so we the uninformed know what is out there.
Now if only we could get Doctors to out the bad doctors we would all live longer.

Bill in RI
Old 02-29-2008, 01:19 PM
sly vette
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ngcolby
I'd be taking those pics to court with me. Any judge would rule against the shop that did that work.

You betcha

Get notified of new replies

To BIRDCAGE REPAIR "A LA HACK"!!! you have to see this

Old 02-29-2008, 02:21 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by donnd
Road-Race Vette,
It is good to see someone has the time to at least try to educate us as to the goings on in the industry. There are a ton of safety issues involved here .
If by chance you come across the previous “restoration” guy ask him how he would feel about his cars being road/safety tested in the same neighborhood as his kids play or go to school.

B.W.T. just scrolled through you web site ,goooood looking cars.
Thank you my friend, The guy that did the work actually was the one that dropped the car off. I thought he was a nice guy until I saw this crap. As far as saying anything, I am going to leave that to the cars' owner.It is best that way. He has the pics and he can take it from there.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:27 PM
G dad
Burning Brakes

There are some things that are just not right. That is a weak attempt at a repair.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:17 PM
donnd
Racer

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
Thank you my friend, The guy that did the work actually was the one that dropped the car off. I thought he was a nice guy until I saw this crap. As far as saying anything, I am going to leave that to the cars' owner.It is best that way. He has the pics and he can take it from there.
I hope you didn’t take it the wrong way.I was not suggesting you be derogatory about it.Just something to get that “other guy” to thinking a little deeper about what he is doing.(the LARGER picture)he is endangering life and limb.

Quick Reply: BIRDCAGE REPAIR "A LA HACK"!!! you have to see this