Sponsored by:

BIRDCAGE REPAIR "A LA HACK"!!! you have to see this

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2008, 03:33 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by donnd
I hope you didn’t take it the wrong way.I was not suggesting you be derogatory about it.Just something to get that “other guy” to thinking a little deeper about what he is doing.(the LARGER picture)he is endangering life and limb.
I understood what you said. I did not take it the wrong way at all. I agree that the other guy should definately answer to the cars owner about this situation. I just wouldnt instigate anything with someone else in the business because it isnt my place. Also, that would go with what you said about everyone thinking their work is great and everyone else's isnt.(or it could be perceived that way by the "other guy").

I am just here to do my job to the best of my ability but also inform and some times educate my customers on what is going on with the cars they trust me with. Unfortunately ,sometimes I have to be the bearer of bad news.
Old 02-29-2008, 03:45 PM
A72COUPEDT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sub-par work.wellll

Look..

I think everyone is kinda overreacting here....

Is that NOT "corrugated" cardboard & plastic?

Geez-o-pete

It could have been tissue paper.

I'd send "Uncle Nunzio" over to re-arrange his nose.

Then...we he got out the hospital..I sue the chit out of

him...just my 2 cents.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

OMFG, that is WAY fugged up. My Drivers side was cancered out just about that bad and I had to make a replacement lower corner. I have NEver done anything like that before and it took me about 8 hours to do it twice because I didn't get the curve right for the windshield groove. I bet the guy that did that had at least that much time into making that nasty plug.
See that crack that runs all the way aross the frame side? that means its not even mechanically stable.
I am proud to say I could beat that on my first shot. Your guy should have some court time comin.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:03 PM
PassengerGal
2nd Gear

I'm sorry, I'm not a car person, my hubby's the one with the vette, I'm just a hot glass worker but even I know better than that. There is no excuse for any body shop using cardboard, plastic, and bondo on the frame. I'm really sorry that this happened to you. I hope you get the first shop to give you a refund. If not, I would definately file a fraud complaint.

Heather
Old 02-29-2008, 08:24 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by PassengerGal
I'm sorry, I'm not a car person, my hubby's the one with the vette, I'm just a hot glass worker but even I know better than that. There is no excuse for any body shop using cardboard, plastic, and bondo on the frame. I'm really sorry that this happened to you. I hope you get the first shop to give you a refund. If not, I would definately file a fraud complaint.

Heather
Hi Heather, it actualy happened to my customer by the person who was restoring his car before he brought it to me. I am the one that has to fix this mess!!!!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:42 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Default The AFTERMATH

And here is the rest of it after clean up

Old 02-29-2008, 08:52 PM
SIXFOOTER
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Thats pretty bad, maybe a little worse than mine was, but the fix is the same: New lower WS frame corner ( fabbed or store bought) Lots of work.
Post as you go Road Race
Old 02-29-2008, 10:32 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Shouldn't the rest of the birdcage be pretty nasty?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:44 PM
OURSHARK
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have to say those pictures are upsetting and it isn't even my car! That man should be tared and feathered. He obviously doesn't take pride in his work. His name and company name should be plastered all over this forum. I hope the owner takes this guy to court and gets justification!

Stan
You are doing a great service to this forum and the corvette community. If it wasn't for you, the owner would have been left with an unsafe car. Who knows how many more cars that he did are out there?
Old 03-03-2008, 08:30 PM
elevatordude
Instructor

I just want to know if the shop who did that work is east or west of you ...Palmer Ma here
Old 03-03-2008, 09:09 PM
retroLS1
Instructor

Wow... just wow.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:24 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by elevatordude
I just want to know if the shop who did that work is east or west of you ...Palmer Ma here

Disclosing that info would be un-ethical. I just wouldnt do that.
What I advise people is to just check shops out before they commit to trusting someone with their money and car.

THE MAIN THING IS TO SEE PICS OF PREVIOUS WORK.

Pics might not tell everything, but they do give a good indication of what the shop does.

ALSO VERY IMPORTANT IS A VISIT TO LOOK AT CURRENT PROJECTS.

That will give you a great indication of how things are repaired.

If you cant SEE pics of previous work, then you can ONLY GUESS how your car will look done!!!!!!

DO YOU WANT TO TAKE SOMEONES WORD ON WHAT THEIR DEFINITION OF QUALITY WORK IS ????

I wouldnt for the money restorations cost these days.

Also, anyone in the bussiness who takes pride in what they do will love showing off their work. If they have nothing to show off, I would be a little concerned.

If you use these principles in looking for a shop, then chances are your experience will be a good one no matter where you go.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:24 PM
elevatordude
Instructor

I was just jokeing ..ps if you ever have an race in Ma Ct or Vt e- mail me I would love to watch it ..Ray
Old 03-03-2008, 11:53 PM
DvBoard
Instructor

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
Disclosing that info would be un-ethical. I just wouldnt do that.
IMO: It's almost as unethical to allow them to continue operating while knowing of their "repairs" to a structural part of the car. It's likely many cars out there they have done are like this. I would NOT call that safe...
Old 03-04-2008, 12:04 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by DvBoard
IMO: It's almost as unethical to allow them to continue operating while knowing of their "repairs" to a structural part of the car. It's likely many cars out there they have done are like this. I would NOT call that safe...
My friend, I do agree with you but I have a shop that took in this restoration and cant bad mouth another shop, as that can be perceived a number of different ways. The owner of the car is obviously aware of this and he has the freedom to tell anyone he wants about it. There is too much conflict of interest here as well as the fact that assuming the person who did this does this all the time would be just an assumption on my part.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,578 Likes on 2,166 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Stan, After touring your shop a couple of weeks ago and looking at your work, I have no doubt that this customer will wish he brought this car to you first. I'm sure it will look great when you're done with it. What a mess they made
Old 03-04-2008, 09:56 AM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

My friend, I do agree with you but I have a shop that took in this restoration and cant bad mouth another shop, as that can be perceived a number of different ways. The owner of the car is obviously aware of this and he has the freedom to tell anyone he wants about it. There is too much conflict of interest here as well as the fact that assuming the person who did this does this all the time would be just an assumption on my part.
I hear you. It seems like everytime I hire someone to do something, they want to tell me how they're the best and the guy that worked on [insert whatever] before them screwed it all up. That gets old really quick. On the other hand, the guys that look me in the eye and do a good job for a fair price without all the chest pounding get my business again and again. You sound like the latter.

Get notified of new replies

To BIRDCAGE REPAIR "A LA HACK"!!! you have to see this

Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by wcsinx
I hear you. It seems like everytime I hire someone to do something, they want to tell me how they're the best and the guy that worked on [insert whatever] before them screwed it all up. That gets old really quick. On the other hand, the guys that look me in the eye and do a good job for a fair price without all the chest pounding get my business again and again. You sound like the latter.
I have been doing business that way since I started our shop in 1995.

I figure the best thing to do is to let our work do the talking!! The people can decide for them selves what work is quality or not between shops. There is never any reason for finger pointing.( Even though this fiasco is as good a case for it as you can get )

I may never be rich off this business, but I can sleep well at night
Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Good work gets repeat business and customer referrals.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:35 PM
hicswa
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I have been doing business that way since I started our shop in 1995.

I figure the best thing to do is to let our work do the talking!! The people can decide for them selves what work is quality or not between shops. There is never any reason for finger pointing.( Even though this fiasco is as good a case for it as you can get )

Road-Race, when you are done fixing that mess, please put some pics up to show how to do it the right way.

Quick Reply: BIRDCAGE REPAIR "A LA HACK"!!! you have to see this