Sponsored by:

SOB`en Wiper Door,

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 07:32 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default SOB`en Wiper Door,

Briefly, problems with the wiper door. I cant get the sucker to move and dont really want to force to hard and 'f... up' everything. . Vacuum is out of the picture, they wont even begin to move. I took the can off and tried to press the rod in, nothing. Solid as a rock. I took the grill off and I see a rod stretching to both sides and cant get that to move either. . Without the vacuum should one be able to move the door manually. Another question Where can this assembly be lubed?

Also is the wiper switch fused? With the wiper door open should I be able to move the dash switch to on position and the wipers begin to move or cycle? The limit switch near the distributor, with the door open is the limit switch at its rest, meaning in as far as it could go?

A lot of questions, all of which I dont have a 'f`en' clue.

seems like the correct or appropiate adjective for this issue..
Old 03-31-2008, 07:41 PM
Duke94
Le Mans Master

Received 257 Likes on 209 Posts

Default answers

Originally Posted by Ironcross
Without the vacuum should one be able to move the door manually. YES, you should be able to manually pull it open and close.
Another question Where can this assembly be lubed? Sounds like the whole thing needs to come apart for a cleanup and lube job.

Also is the wiper switch fused? Yes, wiper is fused. With the wiper door open should I be able to move the dash switch to on position and the wipers begin to move or cycle? Wipers won't move until the door is open which is controlled by the switch you mention below.The limit switch near the distributor, with the door open is the limit switch at its rest, meaning in as far as it could go?

A lot of questions, all of which I dont have a 'f`en' clue.

seems like the correct or appropiate adjective for this issue..
Here's a little more info that might help you.
http://lbfun.com/Corvette/Tech/vette...m%20System.pdf

http://www.vettevacuum.com/troubleshooting_guide.htm

Last edited by Duke94; 03-31-2008 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM
BB72
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

I just installed my bead blasted linkage. I thought it would be a bitch to get going because of years being idle and the sand from blasting. I bolted it in properly and lubed up every joints I could find with WD40 and viola....it works amazing. I would start by taking the door off, hopefully you won't break the bolts. Start by wire brushing the joints so you can get good penetration with the lube you use. Don't forget the joints in the middle, there's a couple of them. Unbolt the canister from the firewall bracket and unscrew it from the actuator hex rod. Screw a 5/16-18 bolt about 3 inches long into the hex rod. Now you have a good grip on where it actuates from. After lubing it , let it sit for a while and come back and try it. Keep doing that until it loosens up. Thats all I did. Mine works awesome.

Last edited by BB72; 03-31-2008 at 08:26 PM.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:56 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Thanks to both of you, i`ll pull the door tomorrow, it has new attaching or mounting hardware recently installed removing the broken special bolt syndrome. I just didn`t want to remove more than was necessary.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:19 PM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Spray every joint you can reach with PB Blaster and start trying to work the actuator rod back and forth. It may take a few days' worth of spraying but the PB will eventually eat through any corrosion. Once you can move the door a little bit you can be confident that the PB will eventually free things up. I should own stock in the company - I don't know how many cans of that stuff I have used on the 79 and 72. Unless something is so badly rusted that the parts are fused together PB will loosen up anything. There is something called Kroil that is supposed to be even better but PB is available at almost any auto parts store.

Rick B.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:28 PM
bojangies46
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope you get a lot of input, I am in the same boat---great so far--
Old 04-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Well I got the door off and then unbolted the linkage from the sides and at the vacuum can. Total of 6. Removed it and found shims laying there. Not sure of there usage, but i`ll put them back on reassembly of the linkage. It`s really tight all through the 3 movements. That 'blaster' stuff is not faring very well with this rack. I keep squirting and moving the parts trying to loosen them up. Currently way too much resistance for vacuum.

Tried to get the wipers to work and all I get is a click from the wiper motor. Shouldn't`t you be able to cycle the blades without the door on?
Old 04-03-2008, 06:11 PM
DIPPOLD
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Remember there is a switch that needs to be closed by the wiper door to allow the wiper motor to activate.
Old 04-04-2008, 12:12 AM
72LS1Vette
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well I got the door off and then unbolted the linkage from the sides and at the vacuum can. Total of 6. Removed it and found shims laying there. Not sure of there usage, but i`ll put them back on reassembly of the linkage. It`s really tight all through the 3 movements. That 'blaster' stuff is not faring very well with this rack. I keep squirting and moving the parts trying to loosen them up. Currently way too much resistance for vacuum.

Tried to get the wipers to work and all I get is a click from the wiper motor. Shouldn't`t you be able to cycle the blades without the door on?
Spray all of the pivot points daily with PB and work the linkage. It may take several days if things are really rusty but the PB should eventually loosen things up. Be patient. I worked on a broken bolt for a month without success and when I replenished my PB supply and started spraying it I had it out after ~4 applications.

Rick B.
Old 04-04-2008, 01:36 AM
Ironcross
Race Director

Originally Posted by DIPPOLD
Remember there is a switch that needs to be closed by the wiper door to allow the wiper motor to activate.
All right, I just knew that was way too easy today. Where is this switch I need to remember that needs to be closed? I have a 1968 Dealer repair manual and I dont recall any switch location in neither the book or the car. It would sure make my day for those wipers to start to do what there supposed to do, namely wiping, There wasn`t any electrical in the wiper compartment that was visable and I looked it over very close. I didn`t want to scratch the new paint.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:51 AM
DZRick
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All right, I just knew that was way too easy today. Where is this switch I need to remember that needs to be closed? I have a 1968 Dealer repair manual and I dont recall any switch location in neither the book or the car. It would sure make my day for those wipers to start to do what there supposed to do, namely wiping, There wasn`t any electrical in the wiper compartment that was visable and I looked it over very close. I didn`t want to scratch the new paint.
You see that rod that's coming out from the wiper compartment then does a 180 and has the plunger . When the wiper door opens that plunger hits that little button switch, if that switch isn't made as dippold said the motor won't work.

Here's a closer shot.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:25 AM
Merlinhaggard
Pro

I sprayed mine with carb cleaner then tapped it with a small hammer til it loosened up. Then lube then carb cleaner then lube.. Got it moving pretty quickly.

I took the canister off and did pretty much the same thing. Carb cleaner down both ends and started tapping it. Lube carb cleaner ect..

Got it moving pretty smoothly. You can use an air gun to check it. Should move with not too much pressure.. From both sides.

Make sure you get all of the fluid out of the canister before hooking it to the car.. Can contaminate the vac system.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:30 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Well I found that limit switch, right where the picture shows. I turned the key on and then the wiper switch on the dash. Came around to the switch and pushed it. The motor came to life after 35 years and cycled almost perfect and then it parked by turning the switch on the dash to off. The rack is finally beginning to give up and becoming more compatible and working better. Still a ways to go however.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:21 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

IC,
It sounds like you're making progress on one of the MOST frustrating parts of the early cars. GOOD FOR YOU!!!!
Regards,
Alan
Old 04-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

For those of you that has contributed to my subject of the "SOB`en wiper door", well heres the junk i`m playing with.... Dormant for 35 years

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...ellowvette.flv
Old 04-07-2008, 09:21 PM
b71vette
Burning Brakes

For those of you that has contributed to my subject of the "SOB`en wiper door", well heres the junk i`m playing with.... Dormant for 35 years

http://s238.photobucket.com/albums/f...ellowvette.flv
Wish I had your problems, got any junk like that you want to give away? I'll provide the transportation
Old 04-07-2008, 09:24 PM
NJVette77
Drifting

Originally Posted by bojangies46
I hope you get a lot of input, I am in the same boat---great so far--
Me too.....the boat is filling up and in the words from Brody on Jaws...

You're gonna need a bigger boat

Get notified of new replies

To SOB`en Wiper Door,

Quick Reply: SOB`en Wiper Door,