Seat belts... um, HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 AM
TIE_Pilot
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belts... um, HELP!

Hi there...

So, after six months of letting it gather dust, I've decided to try to get back to my 73... I bought this car a year ago with a mostly new drive train, but a completely raw and mostly disassembled interior. I'm gutting the interior now so I can rebuild it. I plan to use mostly the original parts and replace stuff as time and money permit... I want the car painted and road-worthy in the short-term; I'll make it perfect later.

So the question is... as I gut the interior... how the HELL do I remove the seat belts? They are obviously original. Right now I'm just trying to remove the outer mount point where the retractor is (lap belts only) - no breaker bar, no impact driver can persuade the bolt to move at all. Any ideas at all?

My other question... I'd love to put shoulder belts in while I'm at it. I can't see the shoulder belt mount points? Also, the seats I have don't have an opening to let the shoulder belt pass through... any ideas short of new seats?

On the plus side, I started the car (me sitting on the floor since the seats were gone already - and it still SOUNDS great.

Any help would be appreciated...

Steve
Old 04-21-2008, 12:35 AM
Tom73
Race Director

Received 470 Likes on 279 Posts

The lap belts bolt through to a bolt under the floor pan. More then likely it is rusted solid. Time for your best rust removal technique.

The seat should have the slots for the shoulder belt, just not cut open. On the front, check the bezel when it would come through, should be vinyl or leather there that you can press in. On the back you should be able to feel the slot through the material. Will need to get a bezel for the back side.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 AM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by TIE_Pilot
Hi there...

So, after six months of letting it gather dust, I've decided to try to get back to my 73... I bought this car a year ago with a mostly new drive train, but a completely raw and mostly disassembled interior. I'm gutting the interior now so I can rebuild it. I plan to use mostly the original parts and replace stuff as time and money permit... I want the car painted and road-worthy in the short-term; I'll make it perfect later.

So the question is... as I gut the interior... how the HELL do I remove the seat belts? They are obviously original. Right now I'm just trying to remove the outer mount point where the retractor is (lap belts only) - no breaker bar, no impact driver can persuade the bolt to move at all. Any ideas at all?

My other question... I'd love to put shoulder belts in while I'm at it. I can't see the shoulder belt mount points? Also, the seats I have don't have an opening to let the shoulder belt pass through... any ideas short of new seats?

On the plus side, I started the car (me sitting on the floor since the seats were gone already - and it still SOUNDS great.

Steve
PB blaster and a cheater pipe on a breaker bar should do it. I had to loosen one of mine that way.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:06 AM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by I'm Batman
PB blaster and a cheater pipe on a breaker bar should do it. I had to loosen one of mine that way.
For really stubborn rusted bolts that won't budge ...spray the bolts with the PB Blaster, wait a while, and spray again. Then try to loosen them a little. Spray again, tighten the bolts, then loosen a little more than the first time. Keep going back and forth ... loosen a little ... tighten a little. Don't try to loosen a lot all at once ... that's when they break off. That may happen anyway ... if so, you will probably have to drill and re-tap. Sometimes they come out pretty easily after they are initially freed up.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:29 AM
RunningMan373
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Can't see why your seats wouldn't have the stock slots in a '73,, I believe they all came with them.
The '73's shoulder retractor bolt up location is the top of the fender wells, the brackets should be there, even if the belts aren't, look at the top of the underside of the rear wheel wells, you should see the brakcets with the threaded hole for the shoulder retractors. The belts pictured are from Andover restraints, about 300 for a complete set, including all the hardware. good investment. C.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by RunningMan373; 04-21-2008 at 05:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2008, 07:18 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Shoulder belts for my 1974 are on my to-do list. Here are the parts you need.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:09 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

If there is any head left on the bolt at all, this is the best tool to use along with PB blaster or equivalent. Notice how bad the old bolt was.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 AM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by noonie
If there is any head left on the bolt at all, this is the best tool to use along with PB blaster or equivalent. Notice how bad the old bolt was.

Please don't keep me in suspense! ... what's the tool called and where can I buy it? I'm sure it's worth the $ but how much? Thanks.
Old 04-21-2008, 10:21 AM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi there...

Steve
You need the AIM if you don't have it. It shows the complete assembly. Most of the vendor catalogs also show the assembly and have the parts. The only part I never see available is the little metal retainer which goes through a slot cut in the carpet and holds the retractor cover in place with a screw.
Original shoulder belts are very $$$$. That $300 setup looks pretty nice. Those are on my to-do list as well. The mount bracket in the wheel well on the driver side is missing on mine as well.
Were your seats redone? That might be why the slots are not cut out.
Glenn
Old 04-21-2008, 10:30 AM
noonie
Race Director

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by 70Yellowbird
Please don't keep me in suspense! ... what's the tool called and where can I buy it? I'm sure it's worth the $ but how much? Thanks.
What a deal.

http://www.cvfsupplycompany.com/imdrhaheimdr3.html

I bought mine in 1971 and paid around 40 bucks for it.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:54 PM
TIE_Pilot
Advanced

Thanks for your replies. I have an impact driver... trust me, I learned the value of that tool long ago, although it didn't budge this bolt. The heads of the bolts look good, so I'm not as worried there, but there's definitely some rust.

I'm leaning towards the late-model Camaro shoulder belts; I'm trying to keep this thing on a reasonble budget.

Yes, my seats were refinished before I got the car. The leather's really nice; I hate to think of cutting it! Is it difficult?
Old 04-21-2008, 01:00 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for your replies. I have an impact driver... trust me, I learned the value of that tool long ago, although it didn't budge this bolt. The heads of the bolts look good, so I'm not as worried there, but there's definitely some rust.

I'm leaning towards the late-model Camaro shoulder belts; I'm trying to keep this thing on a reasonble budget.

Yes, my seats were refinished before I got the car. The leather's really nice; I hate to think of cutting it! Is it difficult?
I don't think it is that difficult, just take your time. Again get the AIM for your year. There's very detailed diagrams showing how to cut the slot for the belt.
Old 04-21-2008, 01:03 PM
72GACRZR
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

The leather's really nice; I hate to think of cutting it! Is it difficult?
Lots of folks have used the Camaro seats and just loop over the seat.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:00 PM
jnb5101
Le Mans Master

Received 100 Likes on 92 Posts

when you're using that impact wrench on the seat belt bolts, just remember that the metal anchor plate is riveted to fiberglass. i'd hate to see your next post on how to repair large holes in glass.
jeff
Old 04-21-2008, 03:41 PM
TIE_Pilot
Advanced

Eek. Yeah, thanks for the heads up. So the plate bolts through fiberglass into the frame underneath? Seems rather odd to me... Oh well, time to try some chemical help and see what happens. Of course, I'll have to jack the car up just to get to the bottom...
Old 04-21-2008, 03:50 PM
70Yellowbird
Burning Brakes

Eek. Yeah, thanks for the heads up. So the plate bolts through fiberglass into the frame underneath? Seems rather odd to me... Oh well, time to try some chemical help and see what happens. Of course, I'll have to jack the car up just to get to the bottom...
The PB Blaster has a strong odor, and I don't know how long it takes to dissipate if some is absorbed into your carpeting. I sprayed my seat belt bolts from inside and it worked fine without using the PB underneath the car.

I'm replacing my carpet as well ... so it didn't matter in my case.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:53 PM
TIE_Pilot
Advanced

This car hasn't had carpet since I bought it! Thanks for the advice, all...

Get notified of new replies

To Seat belts... um, HELP!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
TIE_Pilot
Advanced

Default Thanks again...

"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world."

So I stopped at Home Depot tonight for a can of Miracle Stuff (tm) and a length of copper pipe to add to my breaker bar. Yeah, that did it. I only did the passenger side; I'll finish it this weekend, but I am feeling a lot better about it now.

How sad is it that after nine hours at the office, I count this one bolt removed as my biggest accomplishment of the day?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 AM
TIE_Pilot
Advanced

Oh, and now the obvious follow-on question... any recommendations for a good place to buy new mounting hardware, including whatever bolts I'll need for the shoulder attachments?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm Batman
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

Oh, and now the obvious follow-on question... any recommendations for a good place to buy new mounting hardware, including whatever bolts I'll need for the shoulder attachments?
Zip or Paragon would be good places to look.

Quick Reply: Seat belts... um, HELP!