Sponsored by:

1973 L48 Radiator Replace

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 07:59 PM
435Randy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 1973 L48 Radiator Replace

I cannot get the fan shroud out to replace the radiator. The shroud is up against the bolts on the upper control arm and tight against the radiator and I can't budge it. The shroud is too thick to bend and I can't pull it up. Is there a trick to it. I searched other posts but nobody mentions how to get the fan shroud out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Randy
Old 06-04-2008, 08:10 PM
Scott Marzahl
Le Mans Master

Received 194 Likes on 149 Posts

You pull the core support, radiator and shroud all together. Three bolts on each side of the support and two at the bottom.
Old 06-04-2008, 09:45 PM
Jeffery73
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I put in a Dewitts over the winter and fought with that #$@& shroud for a couple of hours. Then I pulled the rad, shroud and support together. I think that has got to be the easiest way to do it.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:00 PM
435Randy
Instructor

Thanks, I was thinking that's what I had to do. If the fan shroud was split in half like some of the other cars I have seen it would be a piece of cake.

Thanks
Randy
Old 06-05-2008, 10:56 AM
Lon Wayne
Drifting

Default Vader Vette

Its funny you should say that about splitting the shrouding .It was the only way I got my new rad to go back in without taking off my control arms. split that sucker, you cant even see where I did it . I would try to put the bottom hose on before putting it in its finally resting place because it get s real hard to do anything down in that area after the rad is in take your time and put cardboard over the finns till its in .then for extra cooling remove the card board no really its time consuming and A girl with small hands can come in Real handy if you happen to have one.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:06 PM
0Tom@Dewitt
Former Vendor

Received 627 Likes on 324 Posts

Actually you don't have to pull the core support completely out. First, i like to pull the hood, some many argue that out. Then remove the (3) core support bolts working through the wheel wellls. Loosen, but don't remove the bolts underneath the core support to frame. Then you can swing the core support forward enough to get the shroud out. Obviously this gets more complicated if you have AC, because the lines will have to be disconnected.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:14 PM
offroadtoyota
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer to go with the "Drink some beer now & do it tomorrow" method.
Old 06-05-2008, 09:48 PM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 140 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom DeWitt
Actually you don't have to pull the core support completely out. First, i like to pull the hood, some many argue that out. Then remove the (3) core support bolts working through the wheel wellls. Loosen, but don't remove the bolts underneath the core support to frame. Then you can swing the core support forward enough to get the shroud out. Obviously this gets more complicated if you have AC, because the lines will have to be disconnected.
This is the way I do it also, my car does have AC but there is enough slack in the lines that you don't have to disconnect them. I put a strap on the core and pull it as far forward as I can and then I have the room to twist the shroud out. It is best if you have some cardboard to put between the shroud and the rad so you protect the fins. Once the shroud is off you can get to the bottm hose easily. Don't forget to re-attach the bottom hose again before you put the shroud back in place.

Get notified of new replies

To 1973 L48 Radiator Replace

Quick Reply: 1973 L48 Radiator Replace