Sponsored by:

76 factory alarm

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:38 AM
bill984
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 76 factory alarm

how do you get to it and can it be replaced with a regular horn.
mine trys to sound but it comes out sounding like a dying cow.
i know it is inside the rear wheel well somewhere but must be behind something, i can't see it.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Vette79C3
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are trying to get to the horn for your factory alarm, and if it is anything like a 79, it is on the drivers side inside fender well just behind the fuel vapor canister and washer fluid bottle. You can get to it from under the vette but it is a PITA. I would at least reseat your connections first before purchasing another horn. Could save you some pocket change...
Old 07-10-2008, 08:04 AM
bill984
Intermediate

no, its behind the wheel well in back. the switch is on the fender on this one. under the hood would actually make sense.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:55 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,294 Likes on 1,013 Posts

Sometime in 1977 they made the change in the alarm horn location from rear to front.
Any 12v horn should work for a replacement, the higher the pitch the better, JMO. Save your old trumpet style horn as maybe it can be rebuilt. A good used trumpet horn is worth about $150.00 these days.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM
LYLE
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bill984
how do you get to it and can it be replaced with a regular horn.
mine trys to sound but it comes out sounding like a dying cow.
i know it is inside the rear wheel well somewhere but must be behind something, i can't see it.
Their is a small **** for adjusting the tone and a slight adjustment and cleanig up the ground when you remove the horn and bench test it may fix the horn you have. Look between the muffler and the rear body fiberglass and at the very top of the back side of the fender well is the horn. A 9/16 or 1/2'' flex socket and all the extensions in the tool box should get it off. Installing it again is a fight with the muffler in the way if the muffler is the stock type.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:38 AM
bill984
Intermediate

thanks, so i don't have to remove the fender skirt inside the wheel well?
Old 07-10-2008, 12:00 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 548 Likes on 375 Posts

Here's where the horn is.

Open your drivers door, tilt the seat back forward and look at the extreme right side of the back wall of your storage compartment. The horn is on the other side of the wall.

On my 70, it's very easy to see by laying under the car but I do have the gas tank and mufflers/exhaust pipes removed. I removed mine, cleaned it up and re-installed it. It was a really easy job with all the tank/mufflers, etc removed.

I bought a new alarm harness since my original had been bubba'd - a previous owner cut the wires and also the switch was rusty. The alarm harness is a lot of fun to install. The rear of the car installation is easy. When it runs inside the cabin, wires go to relay in the jack storage compartment, wires run to the cabin light switches in the door sill, a big wire to the fuse panel, and finally a long wire that goes through the front firewall to the hood ajar switch and then a ground wire that attaches to the windshield wiper.

Get notified of new replies

To 76 factory alarm

Quick Reply: 76 factory alarm