Sponsored by:

CS 144 Alternator

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2008, 11:57 AM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thegazman
The CS144 140Amp alternator should fit in place of a CS130. On the alternator I have the mounting tabs are off set allowing me to use a March adjusting rod. It looks good and allows for easy belt tension adjustment. .
How much did the adjusting rod set you back? Where did you get it and could you possiblly brovide me with the demensions / length?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:03 PM
thegazman
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default thegazman

I bought my adjustment rod from Jegs because they were cheaper than Summit. My rod adjusts from 7.5" to 9.0". I paid $42 for the rod. It's made by "March" and is good quality. I suggest you mount your alternator, place it where you want it to be with the belt tight, measure from the hole for the rod on the alternator to the bolt on your bracket where you will attach the rod. Then buy an adjustment rod that the lenght you want your rod is in the middle of the adjustment. Example: If you want your adjustment rod mounted at 7 1/4", buy a rod that adjusts from 6 1/2' to 8". Summit has a bigger selection of rods listed on line than Jegs, but you may be able to call Jegs and get the same rods that Summit has. Go into either web site and look under"adjustment rods".
Old 11-21-2008, 02:26 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my adjustment rod from Jegs because they were cheaper than Summit. My rod adjusts from 7.5" to 9.0". I paid $42 for the rod. It's made by "March" and is good quality. I suggest you mount your alternator, place it where you want it to be with the belt tight, measure from the hole for the rod on the alternator to the bolt on your bracket where you will attach the rod. Then buy an adjustment rod that the lenght you want your rod is in the middle of the adjustment. Example: If you want your adjustment rod mounted at 7 1/4", buy a rod that adjusts from 6 1/2' to 8". Summit has a bigger selection of rods listed on line than Jegs, but you may be able to call Jegs and get the same rods that Summit has. Go into either web site and look under"adjustment rods".
Is there anything you can use, like that if
you hane the 12 6 clocking
Old 11-21-2008, 03:25 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!
Old 12-03-2008, 05:54 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

If you have a C3 with NO GEN light in the dash, then your harness will not provide enough resistance for the CS alternators to function properly. They will work for fine for a few months, but then the alternator will fail. So, if you do NOT have a GEN light in your dash, you’ll need to add at least 35 OHMs of resistance to the Sense wire, which is brown, or in some cases, white.

Ok I have my cs144 alternator on my car now I have no gen light I have a volt meter, so I
have a resistor in the brown wire. I have the red wire going to the battery lug on
the alternator. Do I conect the brown wire with the resistor to the brown wire
that was in the original plug
Old 12-03-2008, 06:08 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TPI BOY
If you have a C3 with NO GEN light in the dash, then your harness will not provide enough resistance for the CS alternators to function properly. They will work for fine for a few months, but then the alternator will fail. So, if you do NOT have a GEN light in your dash, you’ll need to add at least 35 OHMs of resistance to the Sense wire, which is brown, or in some cases, white.

Ok I have my cs144 alternator on my car now I have no gen light I have a volt meter, so I
have a resistor in the brown wire. I have the red wire going to the battery lug on
the alternator. Do I conect the brown wire with the resistor to the brown wire
that was in the original plug

The resistor goes inline with the brown wire to the plug that goes into the alternator. Think of the resistor as the light bulb in the GEN light socket. That light bulb is just between the brown wire and the alternator. The brown wire just has switched 12V power, and the light bulb provides the resistance the alternator needs to charge properly. The resistor is only needed to be the resistance when there is no GEN light. If you didn't want to use a resistor you could always install a light bulb in it's place as a warning indicator in the cabin that there is an imbalance int eh charging system...just as the GEN light does.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:46 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Durango_Boy
The resistor goes inline with the brown wire to the plug that goes into the alternator. Think of the resistor as the light bulb in the GEN light socket. That light bulb is just between the brown wire and the alternator. The brown wire just has switched 12V power, and the light bulb provides the resistance the alternator needs to charge properly. The resistor is only needed to be the resistance when there is no GEN light. If you didn't want to use a resistor you could always install a light bulb in it's place as a warning indicator in the cabin that there is an imbalance int eh charging system...just as the GEN light does.
OK so using the resistor on the brown wire, would
the other end of the resistor not connect to anything
and just hang there
Old 12-03-2008, 07:00 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

OK so using the resistor on the brown wire, would
the other end of the resistor not connect to anything
and just hang there

Here is a quick drawing. The resistor goes inline in the brown wire.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:04 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

OK, I think I got it, I will try it tommorow
Thanks so much
Old 12-04-2008, 05:41 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

OK, I think I got it, I will try it tommorow
Thanks so much
Tried it today
It works, thanks D BOY WORKS GREAT
Old 12-04-2008, 05:53 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

Tried it today
It works, thanks D BOY WORKS GREAT

It'll charge without the resistor but eventually the alternator fails. That's why it's so important that the resistor is there and that it's sufficient resistance.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:25 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

what does the other end of the brown wire
connect to?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 PM
Durango_Boy
Team Owner

what does the other end of the brown wire
connect to?

It's just a switched 12V source of any kind. It originates under the dash I think. In cars with a GEN light it goes to the gauge cluster and then back out to the alternator. Without the GEN light it just goes straight to the alternator. It's a switched 12V source from the main harness.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:04 PM
TPI BOY
Burning Brakes

What kind of voltages are you getting, when the engine is
cold and when it's hot.
I'm getting at idle 14 when cold and 13.5 to 13.2 when
hot. Does the hot voltage seem low to you
Old 02-15-2013, 01:41 AM
bluegtp
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 128 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified

What kind of voltages are you getting, when the engine is
cold and when it's hot.
I'm getting at idle 14 when cold and 13.5 to 13.2 when
hot. Does the hot voltage seem low to you
Sorry, I know this is an old thread. I'm seeing the same results when car is warmed up which is closer to 13volts. I have ford focus electric fans with 55w hid headlights everything else is mostly stock. I have an 8ga wire from alt to starter terminal. I just changed out 30yr old positive batt cable and batt gnd along with engine to frame gnd trying to rule out resistance in the path.

I am runnning v-belts and switch out pullies with my factory alt. I didn't compare sizes when I switched out alternators but could the serpentine pulley the cs 144 came with be smaller than the one from my factory v-belt alternator?

So is seeing low 13volts typical for the cs144 alternators?

Thankd for any help!

Quick Reply: CS 144 Alternator