Sponsored by:

Corvette wrecking yards - (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:37 AM
Corvette_53
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 66L36Coupe
Here is a link to some vintage pics a buddy sent taken in Lincoln Salvage yard in Seattle. Kinda makes you cringe...

http://www.corvettes.com/articles/?p=23
THAT WAS GREAT
Old 12-26-2008, 06:26 AM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Easy Mike

So help me out here guys and gals. Why are all the gas lids removed? Is that the hottest item from the C-2's? Just thought it was interesting. Maybe the first item to go... And isn't that a split window I see on the right side of the picture? Man oh man, what a walk in there would be...
Love the shot even though it is a sad one.
Thanks for sharing these.
David
77Sleeper

Last edited by AllC34Me; 12-26-2008 at 06:29 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:12 AM
Curby
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Somebody could have (and may have) made a fortune with the tank stickers off of those cars...

Most gas tanks are removed, to reduce the risk of fire. Imagine some stupid kid crawling around the Vettes with a cigarette, and accidentally starting a fire!

Is that a early C1 drag car with the roll bar?

I bet that C2 on the left with the back window area cut off of it was a 63 split window. Someone got the rear glass for their fake split window...

Last edited by Curby; 12-26-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:36 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Brass Pass
Was Lincoln located off of Aurora Avenue?

I remember a place full of old vettes and I think it was off of Aurora Ave. My Dad and I used to stop every once in a while and walk through all of the vettes when I was a kid. When I was in high school at Shorewood High School my buddies and I would stop by and dream about having one of the vettes for an auto shop project. So, that place is gone.
If you haven't seen it, you need to rent and watch "Corvette Summer" to see a C3 auto shop project. MIght only be on VHS, good luck.

If you can find the paperback book, it's even better. All Kenny Dantley has to remember his long-absconded father is a snapshot of a young man leaning against a gleaming white '58 C1.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:40 PM
sub006
Race Director

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by CoolvetteC3
What a sad sight...

Note that almost every car is crashed in the front end, not shure what that indicates but there must be a reason to this.

Perhaps many Vette owners have had a too big belive in the road handling and the brakes and got surprised in action?

PS. Please note that american english isn´t my native language, feel free to comment any wrong spelling or anything else, I´m happy to learn the correct use of your language.
Actually, lots of other people crashed their 'Vettes, so front ends were one of the first things sawed off an intact car in a junkyard. If it's a straight cut, the car wasn't necessarily crunched in front.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Ed Campbell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldn't the gas tank go with the frame when it was removed thereform not gas caps but where are the hatch doors?

Quick Reply: Corvette wrecking yards - (pics)