Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C3 frame shop in or near Maryland?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:58 PM
Mike's 68
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C3 frame shop in or near Maryland?

Are there any frame shops in or near Maryland that can fix a 68 frame? I had an accident last summer that bent the front and back sections of the frame. I’m trying to decide whether to fix the frame or replace it. Are there any general guidelines on what can be fixed or when it is best to replace the frame?

The front is bent to the left (and maybe a little up), the front cross member is bent (a little more of a V than a U now) and the right engine mount is broken. The back is bent to the left also but not as bad as the front.

This web page has some pictures of the accident scene. http://home.comcast.net/~mikecorrea/...e/Accident.htm
Old 12-08-2008, 11:00 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find it hard to believe the insurance did not total that car.
I would replace the frame based on what you are describing.
Have you fixed the rest of the body?

It hurts to see one of these cars in that state of being. Sorry for your loss.

http://www.2ndgenrestorations.com
Old 12-08-2008, 12:39 PM
Roughrider
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Contact Mike's Auto Body in Thurmont. They do great work. They specialize in Corvettes...Mike Jensen, the owner, has a beautiful C3 and a C6. They restored my Avanti and repaired body damage (twice) from "incidents" my 17-year old daughter has had.

[URL="http://www.mikesautobody.net/index.html"]

You can call them at 301-271-7626. Ask for Mike Klein...he's the shop manager. He'll treat you right.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:04 PM
1982CorvetteDude
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Mike's 68

The front is bent to the left (and maybe a little up), the front cross member is bent (a little more of a V than a U now) and the right engine mount is broken. The back is bent to the left also but not as bad as the front.

This web page has some pictures of the accident scene. http://home.comcast.net/~mikecorrea/...e/Accident.htm
Let me know if your able to repair that frame and what it ends up setting you back.

Mine is tweaked a little and I was wondering if it can be fixed. Be a heck of a lot easier to get it straightened than trying to swap frames.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 PM
400hp427vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Wow, with the work you have cut out for yourself, you have to left the body anyway no? My vote is for a new frame.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Mike's 68
Instructor

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
I find it hard to believe the insurance did not total that car.
I would replace the frame based on what you are describing.
Have you fixed the rest of the body?
I have the car on jack stands in the garage. In order to see what the damage was I removed the front suspension, the front fiberglass and started to remove the right rear suspension. Here are some pictures of the car in its current state.

http://home.comcast.net/~mikecorrea/...erAccident.htm
Old 12-08-2008, 09:51 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

PM Sent
Old 12-08-2008, 09:56 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 615 Likes on 370 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

I'm in Westminster too.
If you need an extra set of hands with anything pm me.

Tom
Old 12-24-2008, 09:42 PM
Mike's 68
Instructor

Originally Posted by Roughrider
Contact Mike's Auto Body in Thurmont. They do great work. They specialize in Corvettes...Mike Jensen, the owner, has a beautiful C3 and a C6. They restored my Avanti and repaired body damage (twice) from "incidents" my 17-year old daughter has had.

[URL="http://www.mikesautobody.net/index.html"]

You can call them at 301-271-7626. Ask for Mike Klein...he's the shop manager. He'll treat you right.
Thanks for the reference I'll give him a call.
Old 12-24-2008, 09:49 PM
Mike's 68
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sky65
I'm in Westminster too.
If you need an extra set of hands with anything pm me.

Tom
Thank you for the offer, I'm still flip flopping on relpacing or repairing the frame. I'll PM you if need a hand.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Mike's 68
Instructor

Does anyone know the rules for replacing a frame in Maryland? Specifically in regards to non-matching VIN numbers.

The closest thing I found on the MVA web site was this web page:

http://mva.state.md.us/AboutMVA/INFO...#reconstructed

The closet section was this: "How do I title a reconstructed vehicle?"

I've been meaning to call the MVA but I haven't had the time during normal working hours. Maybe next week.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:21 PM
Mad Vette
Pro

In your picture of the right rear frame shows that it's kinked, bends can be repaired kinks can't. I don't know if you can just replace the rear section or not but if the front is swayed also you will probably be better off just replacing your entire frame.

Last edited by Mad Vette; 12-24-2008 at 10:30 PM.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:22 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Couple of thing, Tony's Corvette shop in G'burg Md....he was club guru for CCA there some 12 years ago when I moved south to Florida.....

WHEN I left town, Maryland did not reinspect cars, ever, and so it's between you and your insurance company...long as you retained title to the car, and it's not filed as a total through some back door I dunno about, you should be able to fix it without any problems with frame numbers and that

especially as no one EVER bothers to check them.....

for that matter, all you need is a clean title and a vin tag and you in ....no one ever checks that crap....

you could stick any engine in there and no one knows....

NOW, IF they have changed the laws for emissions checking or something.....well...ok....check it out....

come next year we all going to be in trouble keeping ANY car older then 10 years...BET on that....

Old 12-25-2008, 11:57 AM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Mike,
I saw your post the beginning of the month but just realized you're in Westminster.
I don't know what your plans are for putting your 68 back together once you make your frame decision, but if you're not going to do it yourself, I can suggest a VERY good, VERY small shop in New Oxford, Pa.
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Alan
Old 12-25-2008, 05:38 PM
Mike's 68
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrvette
Couple of thing, Tony's Corvette shop in G'burg Md....he was club guru for CCA there some 12 years ago when I moved south to Florida.....

WHEN I left town, Maryland did not reinspect cars, ever, and so it's between you and your insurance company...long as you retained title to the car, and it's not filed as a total through some back door I dunno about, you should be able to fix it without any problems with frame numbers and that

especially as no one EVER bothers to check them.....

for that matter, all you need is a clean title and a vin tag and you in ....no one ever checks that crap....

you could stick any engine in there and no one knows....

NOW, IF they have changed the laws for emissions checking or something.....well...ok....check it out....

come next year we all going to be in trouble keeping ANY car older then 10 years...BET on that....

Thanks for the reference.

The car was not totaled since I didn’t make a claim with the insurance company. Since the accident was my fault (single car accident) I didn’t want to have to pay higher insurance rates on all 5 of our cars for years to come. Maryland still only inspects cars when you buy them and the emissions test doesn’t apply to cars older than 1977. So I’m good in those regards.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:41 PM
Mike's 68
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mad Vette
In your picture of the right rear frame shows that it's kinked, bends can be repaired kinks can't. I don't know if you can just replace the rear section or not but if the front is swayed also you will probably be better off just replacing your entire frame.
I've been leaning towards replacing the frame, but I was concerned about mismatching VIN numbers, but it sounds like that may not be a problem in Maryland.
Old 12-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Mike's 68
Instructor

Originally Posted by Alan 71
Hi Mike,
I saw your post the beginning of the month but just realized you're in Westminster.
I don't know what your plans are for putting your 68 back together once you make your frame decision, but if you're not going to do it yourself, I can suggest a VERY good, VERY small shop in New Oxford, Pa.
Merry Christmas!
Regards,
Alan
Thanks Alan for the reference. I’m a bit leery of trying to “fit” new fiberglass (front clip and maybe rear too) to the car and try to get all the gaps right. I don’t plan on painting it myself either, I’ll let a pro do that. I plan on doing all the other work myself. Right now I’m leaning towards replacing the frame.

It looks like we have a few Westminster residents active in the C3 forum. Once I get my car back together maybe I’ll try to organize a C3 lunch somewhere in town. It would be nice to check out each other’s cars and compare notes.

Get notified of new replies

To C3 frame shop in or near Maryland?

Old 12-25-2008, 06:19 PM
STINGRAY1WORD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The price you pay to repair an old frame would be close to an upgrade here a link for a tube style frame.
http://www.sriiimotorsports.com/196382corvette.html
Old 12-26-2008, 09:30 AM
dbeall1968
Melting Slicks

I think a lunch for all the locals would be an excellent idea. pm sent
Old 12-26-2008, 09:35 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 7,081 Likes on 4,866 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

I am close to Westmister and no the area very well. try Caltriders garage in Manchester they have been repairing and working on vettes for the last 40 years. PM me if you need help

Quick Reply: C3 frame shop in or near Maryland?