Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have a big dillema!!!.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 08:35 PM
stinger12
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Build a road race car for more exposure of your shop - any shop can build a stock car for a customer.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:50 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,531 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
On the idea of keeping the same motor and going up on the HP, I dont think I would do that because the 427 would need some major reconstruction to get it up above 600 REAL horsepower, and then it wouldnt be so original anymore.

Plus, this time I want to do a radical big cube small block. Last years' car was all about torque. This one would be about revving the bag out of it!!!!

I have scoped out some interesting crate motors out there that will give me the HP I need and run on pump gas. The only problem is that they all dip into the low 5 figures

You want to play, you got to pay I guess

I think I may do my race type car and keep the original motor intact on the side. The body wont have any mods done to it, so if someone wanted to bring it back to stock, it would be possible without a huge hassle. ( just a small hassle).
All good points Stan. The only thing is since it's a big block car and you want 600 H/P why not just put in another "custom" made big block? You wouldn't have to spend 5 figures and you could pick and choose how you want it to sound and perform. Nobody says you have to have a big block that's all done by 5500 RPMs . I bet you could have a big block built to your specs that would easily make over 600 H/P and rev past 6000 RPMs.

It sounds like you're getting closer to deciding........
Old 01-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 615 Likes on 370 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Perhaps I am reading too much into your posts but it appears to me you will not be happy with a stock build. Your comments about a stock build are...lifeless. You even question yourself if you would be satisfied with a stock car. You have not mentioned once that you would not be satisfied with another modified. When you talk about a modified you have "ideas" and there is excitement in the post.

Build another modified. If you don't want to break up your matching car sell it and buy another car but build the modified.
Tom
Old 01-07-2009, 10:47 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sky65
Perhaps I am reading too much into your posts but it appears to me you will not be happy with a stock build. Your comments about a stock build are...lifeless. You even question yourself if you would be satisfied with a stock car. You have not mentioned once that you would not be satisfied with another modified. When you talk about a modified you have "ideas" and there is excitement in the post.

Build another modified. If you don't want to break up your matching car sell it and buy another car but build the modified.
Tom

That's it. I need to hire you as my psychiatrist

You should be charging money to give that kind of advice.

Looking back on it, you are right. For as long as I have waited to build this car and instead have put it off to do other ones, maybe I was putting it off because I just wasnt excited enough about the guidelines I would have to adhere to returning the car to stock.

And now that the time has come for this car to be restored, I get cold feet.

Following strict guidelines is easy, but there is not much creativity involved. It is nice to be able to add that special touch to a car(no matter how big or small) that makes it unique to it's owner . And I am not talking about custom floor matts, or Yosamite Sam mud flaps.

GOD !!!! I sound like I am about to get married

I tell ya, people who arent car people would never understand our passion for this hobby.!!!!

You guys have helped me see a bit more clearly for sure.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Stan,

Why am I not surprised to see this thread!!!

I love 68's as much as you and as you know they don't get much respect when it comes to the C3 generation.....you always hear people say, "Don't get a 68, they are terrible!!!" Although I would love to see another one of your race inspired visions, I think this is a great low mileage, very desirable (Big Block) roadster that you can show the anti 68 skeptics why they are such great cars!!

With your talents and the amount of passion that you put into your builds, I think you would build one hell of a "better than stock" 68 roadster. I would choose a "stock" built car by you over a "factory correct" vette any day!!!!

Oh, and since the car was blue.....I would just go with LeMans Blue!!!!

On a side note....How long will this build take? I need to plan for a bigger garage!!!!
Old 01-07-2009, 10:55 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by 68ragtop69
Stan,

Why am I not surprised to see this thread!!!

I love 68's as much as you and as you know they don't get much respect when it comes to the C3 generation.....you always hear people say, "Don't get a 68, they are terrible!!!" Although I would love to see another one of your race inspired visions, I think this is a great low mileage, very desirable (Big Block) roadster that you can show the anti 68 skeptics why they are such great cars!!

With your talents and the amount of passion that you put into your builds, I think you would build one hell of a "better than stock" 68 roadster. I would choose a "stock" built car by you over a "factory correct" vette any day!!!!

Oh, and since the car was blue.....I would just go with LeMans Blue!!!!

On a side note....How long will this build take? I need to plan for a bigger garage!!!!
You know......

You got my red car, Joe is getting the black car, you guys are going to be racing around town with your loud pipes, and I am going to have the putt putt machine with the hubcaps

I just got JEALOUS of you guys.
Old 01-07-2009, 11:12 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner

Originally Posted by Road-Race Vette
You know......

You got my red car, Joe is getting the black car, you guys are going to be racing around town with your loud pipes, and I am going to have the putt putt machine with the hubcaps

I just got JEALOUS of you guys.
For some reason Stan, I can't picture your version of a "stock" 68 as a putt putt machine and a set of American Racing Torq Thrusts will take car of those hubcaps!!!!

By the way...my neighbors are loving those side pipes!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 06:35 AM
aworks
Melting Slicks

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

I was going to stay out of this one but what the hell. Here's how I see it. If your going to keep this car, pull that 390 hp boat anchor out and put it in a tow truck where it belongs. Then build a good strong small block and you will have a fun car.

If your going to sell the car no matter what you do with the body leave the slug motor in it cause it will cost you less and someone will pay more for the BB (cause they will think it's better) than the small block.

All stock is nice but when selling time comes around you need to deal with the crazy people that will not look at the great workmanship but only at what it not correct and this date is wrong crap. It's much easier to built the car custom. Then there is no right and wrong. It's you like it or you don't. Thats why none of my cars are NCRS top flight type cars. I drive my cars and enjoy building them.

Heres a few of my not correct ones

And the next not correct one.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 AM
13Days
Instructor

All I can say unless someone else pointed it out and I didn't see it is......

Your name on this site is Road-Race Vette....not Stock Drive Vette.

Case closed your honor .....next....

And make sure you post pics.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:31 AM
68L71
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Buy this heap and make it a rr clone... http://www.usedcorvettesforsale.com/...tte-28488.html
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by aworks
All stock is nice but when selling time comes around you need to deal with the crazy people that will not look at the great workmanship but only at what it not correct and this date is wrong crap. ]
I hear ya on that one Brian. And my car, if done stock, wouldnt have "every" correct piece on it .
Old 01-08-2009, 12:34 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner

Hey Stan,

I know which ever way you decide to go, it will be one great looking car. You and your guys are very talented and very passionate about the work that you do there!!

Wayne
Old 01-08-2009, 04:22 PM
RagTop69
Melting Slicks

Received 200 Likes on 150 Posts

It's me again. I think I've modified my position. Take this 69 roadster, with all the NOS parts you've got for it, and sell it to someone who wants the car for restoration. I'm thinking that the car will bring enough money to allow you to find a tired roadster or coupe and a bunch of speed equipment, suspension parts and maybe even a complete crate engine. You'll have the freedom of expression that you really prefer and the other guy will have a basis for a really great restoration. You don't have to use your time in restoring a car to factory stock, you get the financial benefit of having found such a rare piece and you get funding to take on a $5K rolling shell that you can truly make a memorable car. Voila!
Old 01-08-2009, 07:06 PM
0Road-Race Vette
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by RagTop69
It's me again. I think I've modified my position. Take this 69 roadster, with all the NOS parts you've got for it, and sell it to someone who wants the car for restoration. I'm thinking that the car will bring enough money to allow you to find a tired roadster or coupe and a bunch of speed equipment, suspension parts and maybe even a complete crate engine. You'll have the freedom of expression that you really prefer and the other guy will have a basis for a really great restoration. You don't have to use your time in restoring a car to factory stock, you get the financial benefit of having found such a rare piece and you get funding to take on a $5K rolling shell that you can truly make a memorable car. Voila!

Know anyone interested in this car as it is ?????

I contemplated that thought as well, but I dont realy have all that much time to work with here.
I know what this car needs exactly, and starting on another would bring that "getting to know what you really got to work with " period.

And then start from scratch.

I suppose if I found the right person with the right "incorrect" car to trade with me plus the right amount of $$$$, I would think about it
Old 01-09-2009, 12:15 AM
68 NJConv 454
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You sold the red/white one??? ok good, because your going to put that paint job on my car as soon as the economy rebounds or you feel really generous as a late xmas present to do it in your shop and I do all the labor. I will be your student.
Oh, and road race all the way!!!

Quick Reply: I have a big dillema!!!.....