Sponsored by:

Rally Center Caps and Trim Ring Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:33 PM
James
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Rally Center Caps and Trim Ring Question

I picked up a set of good 15 x7 Rally wheels for my 68 Camaro the other day. Where is the best place to look for and purchase trim rings and center caps? The trim rings can be aftermarket but I would like to get some factory center caps or good reproduction center caps. Thanks for your time!!
Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi James,
Many of the larger vendors carry the rings and caps in various materials, accuracy, quality and price.
A quick look seemed to show the later 8" rings will fit the 7" wheels, but there were rings for the 7" wheels.
Regards,
Alan

PS: REAL, excellent, original rings have become very expensive because some people just HAVE to have them. A LARGE percentage of originals have some curb rash on them.
Old 02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Lotadoh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check the large vendor's prices and then if you have the time and patience, I would search Ebay. Sometimes you can get great deals. Just make sure the center caps you are buying are metal. I'd stay away from the cheaper plastic ones.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:13 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

The trim rings and center caps are still available from GM, but are VERY expensive. The current list on the center caps is about $230.00 EACH! Trim rings are about the same price each, also.

Replacement trim rings are available in many styles and prices, from about $79.00 for a set of 4 to about $100.00 each. Repro center caps come in about 3 types. The cheapest are plastic with no Chevrolet wording on the cone. They can also be had in plastic with the Chevrolet lettering. The better repros have stainless caps with chromed, diecast cones (just like real GM ones) and sell for about $80.00 each.

Check around, some or all of the repros listed are available from most of the Corvette parts vendors.
Old 02-05-2009, 12:16 AM
71coupe454
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you refinsh/rechrome the rally caps? I have a couple sets of them but none in real nice shape. I hate to spend so much on new repops and still have all these original ones laying around. I just sandblasted and painted my wheels. dont want to pop on the ugly stuff now.. good looking cheap trim rings are pretty easy to get.
Old 02-05-2009, 03:23 PM
halfmoontrail
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by James
I picked up a set of good 15 x7 Rally wheels for my 68 Camaro the other day. Where is the best place to look for and purchase trim rings and center caps? The trim rings can be aftermarket but I would like to get some factory center caps or good reproduction center caps. Thanks for your time!!
For trim rings on my '74, I used a set off of my '78 Pontiac Parisienne. They are rounded, instead of the sharp angle on the originals, and have almost a brushed stainless look to them. They look greta with the more rounded curves of the car.

My point: Look for trim rings at your local U-pull it. Seek out used center caps, I recently bought 7 for $10 apiece, and was able to make 4 great ones from the assorted "hats" and saucers".

Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Rally Center Caps and Trim Ring Question

Quick Reply: Rally Center Caps and Trim Ring Question