Sponsored by:

headlight washers

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM
ahough76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default headlight washers

I have a 69 corvette with the headlight washer system. Do the headlights have to be raised up for the system to work or do they work if the headlights are down every time the windshield is sprayed? Thanks.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Eddie 70
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts
Ci 6, 8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Very good question. My car has them also but I have never seen them work. As a matter of fact, I have never personally seen them work on any vette. But I have not asked to see them work on anyones vette either.
Old 04-06-2009, 06:50 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

If you follow your tubing to the lights, there are no solenoids or anything impeding the fluid path, just tubes and "T's"..............so................... ......will work up or down...the tubes split from the main pump on the washer pump and go to the lights unhampered.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:34 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by corvetteload
If you follow your tubing to the lights, there are no solenoids or anything impeding the fluid path, just tubes and "T's"..............so................... ......will work up or down...the tubes split from the main pump on the washer pump and go to the lights unhampered.
On 70's there are anti siphon valves where the hose from the pump splits to go to the 2 shorter hoses to the upper and lower squirter. This was intended to stop the fluid from siphoning from the reservior and running out the squirters, when the lights were down.

As mentioned, the fluid can still be pumped in the direction of the valve. Anyway you look at it is has to be the dumbest idea ever. BTW I believe the 69 anti-siphoned at the pump.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:09 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

The '69s have a solenoid that operates when the wash button is held down. When the solenoid operates washer fluid is diverted from the wipers to the headlights. That's the theory. I have never seen mine work either.

As for it being a dumb idea, the Euro spec C6s have them! I'm sure it's a requirement. Here is a photo I took of a Corvette in Warsaw, Poland, a couple of years ago.

The left washer is intact, but the right (passenger) side has the cover missing. I didn't see them in action, but it looked like the cover would raise from the bumper and bring the wash nozzle up so fluid could be squirted onto the headlight lens. You can also see a little squirter cover below the headlight on the Caddy.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:24 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PeteZO6
The '69s have a solenoid that operates when the wash button is held down. When the solenoid operates washer fluid is diverted from the wipers to the headlights. That's the theory. I have never seen mine work either.

As for it being a dumb idea, the Euro spec C6s have them! I'm sure it's a requirement. Here is a photo I took of a Corvette in Warsaw, Poland, a couple of years ago.

The left washer is intact, but the right (passenger) side has the cover missing. I didn't see them in action, but it looked like the cover would raise from the bumper and bring the wash nozzle up so fluid could be squirted onto the headlight lens. You can also see a little squirter cover below the headlight on the Caddy.
Pete, If your headlight hose is hooked to the extra solenoid at the pump, your system is hooked up wrong. The wiper arms should come off the solenoid, not the lights. The wipers come off the nipple at the bracket, the one pointed towards the driver fender, the headlights come from the port BEFORE the solenoid, the action of the solenoid affects only the wiper arms. If you need pics to verify this, send me your email address through PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:45 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Pete, If your headlight hose is hooked to the extra solenoid at the pump, your system is hooked up wrong. The wiper arms should come off the solenoid, not the lights. The wipers come off the nipple at the bracket, the one pointed towards the driver fender, the headlights come from the port BEFORE the solenoid, the action of the solenoid affects only the wiper arms. If you need pics to verify this, send me your email address through PM.
Not trying to be argumentative, but still I think they work the way I described above - in fact both the wiper hose and headlight washer hose are connected to the solenoid. My car is wired and the hoses are hooked up just like the drawings - I have not changed anything here since I bought the car in 1970....

Drawing of how WS Washers work: A quick press and release doesn't activate the solenoid so the fluid goes to the wipers.

And how the HL Washers work:

By holding the wiper switch depressed, the solenoid is activated and the cleaning solution is diverted to the headlights. That's the key, a quick press of the switch doesn't activate the solenoid, holding it down does. And that's how the operation is described in the Owner's Manual.

Pete
Old 04-07-2009, 08:04 PM
dennis
Drifting

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Not trying to be argumentative, but still I think they work the way I described above - in fact both the wiper hose and headlight washer hose are connected to the solenoid. My car is wired and the hoses are hooked up just like the drawings - I have not changed anything here since I bought the car in 1970....

Drawing of how WS Washers work: A quick press and release doesn't activate the solenoid so the fluid goes to the wipers.

By holding the wiper switch depressed, the solenoid is activated and the cleaning solution is diverted to the headlights. That's the key, a quick press of the switch doesn't activate the solenoid, holding it down does. And that's how the operation is described in the Owner's Manual.

Pete
Interesting... The 69 has a check(anti-siphon), valve to the wiper arms as well.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:46 AM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Pete,
It looks like you are right, I didn't realize that both ports out of the solenoid driven pump were controlled by the needle in the pump. I will have to look at my parts box of pumps and check that out. I was u nder the impression that the one out line was free flowing and the wiper arm end was solenoid controlled only. INTERESTING!!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 09:37 AM
guitarcrazy02
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a silly idea to me...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:42 PM
corvetteload
Melting Slicks

Pete
Pete,
Just checked my owners manual and you are correct, also looked at all my washer parts and the solenoid is as you said, I thought it worked differently and never really looked at the parts closely. Where did you get those pics from? I grabbed them for future reference, if you don't mind.................................... Bruce
Old 07-07-2010, 04:19 PM
MarkHarclerode
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was a BIG help to me. I just bought a pair of original 1969 Headlights with the HL Washer Bezels and planning to install the anti-drip solenoid. The AIM does NOT provide any usefull information about the hose configuration. I did see a picture of the Y connector and it did not make much sense to me. Now, I understand. The 68's with headlights down would never get washed off. Probably Customer complaints about NOT being able to see when the headlight were turned on made GM decide to make the HL washers standard for 1969. Then the just modified the washer exterior to accomodate the routing of the HL washer fluid with the holding of the button.

If there is not any functional connection of the anti-drip walve to the actual fluid pump, why mount it on the cover for the pump?? Why do the anti-drips cost sooo much $$$$??
Old 07-07-2010, 05:15 PM
Alan 71
Team Owner

Received 2,878 Likes on 2,515 Posts

Hi Mark,
I guess the reason the valve is so expensive is because there was no reproduction available for many years. The development costs of the part is only being spread over relatively few valves since the demand for the 69 valve is so limited since the 70 model uses a five port pump, it's a one year only part.
Regards,
Alan
Old 07-08-2010, 04:00 PM
PeteZO6
Drifting

Pete,
Just checked my owners manual and you are correct, also looked at all my washer parts and the solenoid is as you said, I thought it worked differently and never really looked at the parts closely. Where did you get those pics from? I grabbed them for future reference, if you don't mind.................................... Bruce
Hi Bruce!
The pictures came from Rick Bizzzoco's 1969 Stingray Guidebook. It is pricey at ~$70, but if you have a '69 Corvette, it is priceless. From reading it several times and wondering about the lack of good editing, I came to the conclusion he wrote it as a thesis for some degree/class and didn't finish it, or possibly didn't submit it for grade. Not to say the information isn't good, but it is repeated in several instances. The book is chock full of little gems like the headlight washer system diagrams.

Pete
Old 07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
GD70
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd love to see the diagram for a 70. That repro anti drip valve is around 200 bucks! I Don't remember which catalog I saw it in though.
Glenn

Get notified of new replies

To headlight washers

Quick Reply: headlight washers